Deleted

Bedroom cinema set up :P

Hey, well long story short, I use my pc as my TV, watch all my series on it and normally watch a movie every night ( BT Infinity I love you ),
    basically my pc is downstairs and I don't want to move it so I'm thinking of building myself a wee cinema experience in my bedroom, so I can relax in bed and watch the shit out of the movies in comfort :P

I don't want to spend too much, for the flat screen, 36" or bigger but don't want to spend over £200, and I'm looking for the best way to stream to my room, I tried using an old ps3 and PS3 Media Server but it cuts out allot, another option maybe is to get a cheap laptop and hook that up so I got the internet also,

any one that's set up a similar system have any ideas? cheapest and simplest way

Thanks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdrumpslap View Post
    I don't want to spend too much, for the flat screen, 36" or bigger but don't want to spend over £200
    Well my flat screen was 32" 720p and was a tesco brand one, it cost me £189, so good luck getting a half decent 36" flat screen tv for under £200 :S

Deleted
    What about something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiXW9tZqLZ8
    It's quite cheap, was selling for around about $200. Would have to check if it's powerful enough to play your movies. I'm sure there are many other alternatives and they're not particularly expensive. Possibly even a newer product now, this was a few years back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually considering doing something very similar myself soon. I have a 55" Sony WEGA LCD in the bedroom. Currently I have my old computer hooked up to it, until I sell it. You have a few options.

1) HTPC - I think you can get a small PC for about $150, if not less. I've been looking into it. This would give you both TV, Netflix/etc, and internet too. The biggest perk here is you can customize it a great deal, and even make it a central data hub. Currently my media is spread across 3x 2tb drives on two computer. I may get one of these, get a 3tb drive, and consolidate all the media onto that and call it a day.
    2) Mini PC - These little guys run about 200, and are basically tiny computers. I haven't played around with one yet, but they seem like a nice little option that uses less power than an HTPC, and less building too. It seems like a more hands-off option.
    3) Roku - Cheapest option for TV/Netflix. You can get a Refurb these days for like $40, and I think it can also access media on your computers on the network. SImple solution. Buy one, plug it in. Online TV.
    4) XBox 360 - This is my current Media System in the living room. It's a game system, yes, but it also handles Netflix as well as media on my main computer flawlessly. Also, it plays games.

A laptop honestly feels a bit... ungainly, and even a cheap one new will still run you about $400. They're also less designed to be run all the time. I imagine I would eventually break mine if I used it as a permanent media center.

I'm also going to get a Raspberry Pi, to play around with and see if I can get that running as a media center.

EDIT: I was still writing when other people posted. The Revo is a Mini PC, and I think one of the better brands for that kind of thing. My buddy who used to do crap like modding old XBoxs and making real media centers out of them with EvoX, Slayers, and XBMC, had a Revo, and he did some insane linux modding with it to make an automated newsbin streamer (I neither encourage nor support this activity! >.>) Still, cool lil things.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-01-11 at 11:13 PM.

Deleted
    surpose it is a bit of a stretch.. can go over £200 but not much, a mate got this one http://www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/cello...#colour:,size:

I thought he said it was a 36" and he said it was £200 so that's what i based the £200 on :P

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as a TV goes... Honestly finding a used one locally may be a better choice. My current 56" and 55" were both $200 because people were upgrading to new, stupid 3D tvs.

By your ps3 cutting out is it on wireless, Mine used to cut out on my wireless and then I plugged it in and it never cuts out. I would try that. Also there are more and more TVs on the market now that have USB ports on them that will support playback of Avi and other video formats.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Deleted
    I'm also going to get a Raspberry Pi, to play around with and see if I can get that running as a media center.
    I'd like to try that too. Should do the job nicely and for very little money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    As far as a TV goes... Honestly finding a used one locally may be a better choice. My current 56" and 55" were both $200 because people were upgrading to new, stupid 3D tvs.
    Ill have a look on the local adds, but I like your option 1. HTPC iv seen it all over the place but never really read anything about it, will google it now see what I find

what you think of this, for the price?

http://www.tesco.com/direct/technika...skuId=210-1986

what about something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Aspir...item3a7d4cc785
    Last edited by mmoc50cda6f559; 2013-01-12 at 03:15 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    keep in mind there are reasons that cheap TV's are cheap. the quality and picture and "last-ability" are not there
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    went with a 36" and a Raspberry Pi Model B Rev 2, 512MB - WiFi 32GB XBMC Bundle - Raspbmc