1. #1
    Mechagnome Serenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    This is a secret :o
    Posts
    683

    Protection Paladin has problems in challenge mode! Please help!

    So I have tried Scarlet Halls CM with my guildes for silver and the mobs after 2nd boss (6 man trash pack) kills me in 2-3 GCDs if I run out of cds. So I'm asking, any help/tips fellow prot paladins (would prefer ones who have experienced CM first hand but every help is appreciated) that can help me improve my mitigation? Talents, stats, gem and trinket choices, what to use when? I keep up my Sacred shield 24/7, use divine prot on trash, GoaK too when we pull many after 2nd boss, using holy avenger+ardent defender if these are not up. My mastery rating in challenge mode is 17.9% giving me a total of 47% dmg reduction while I have SotR buff up.
    I recently specced into Holy Avenger just for the CMs, divine purpose felt to Rng-ish and I'm running a mastery build because I don't have the luxury of needing haste items that I see so many good prot paladins with and I don't think having a mediocre haste rating will help. Armory in my Sig.

    Constructive replies or any sort of tips and guides suggestion would be appreciated very much!

  2. #2
    Stack haste use ghost iron dragonling. I actually went divine purpose for every cm except mogushan palace. I actually had it on for shadopan monastary but I forgot I switched to it and never used it -.-. I did not tank scholomance or brewery but went holy and then ret for burning last boss SSB and Lillian Voss. The real mitigation is your group laying down stuns and interupting the casts of those ridiculous casters, if one gets off, its 80% of your hp or something ridiculous. I would glyph blinding light as a mitigation cooldown. Also my group invis potted after the dog boss and only picked up the very last pack before the stairs, this does mean you need to bucket an extra dog group before the dog boss though. We did gold ofc but its a good idea to try to emulate gold strategies while going for silver as well.
    Last edited by silverhatred; 2013-01-13 at 09:23 PM.

  3. #3
    Your group is probably not using stuns and interrupts properly.
    Other than that you answered your own question. You are geared badly. Get haste gear.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  4. #4
    Mechagnome Serenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    This is a secret :o
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhatred View Post
    Stack haste use ghost iron dragonling. I actually went divine purpose for every cm except mogushan palace. I actually had it on for shadopan monastary but I forgot I switched to it and never used it -.-. I did not tank scholomance or brewery but went holy and then ret for burning last boss SSB and Lillian Voss. The real mitigation is your group laying down stuns and interupting the casts of those ridiculous casters, if one gets off, its 80% of your hp or something ridiculous. I would glyph blinding light as a mitigation cooldown. Also my group invis potted after the dog boss and only picked up the very last pack before the stairs, this does mean you need to bucket an extra dog group before the dog boss though. We did gold ofc but its a good idea to try to emulate gold strategies while going for silver as well.
    Thank you very much for the Blinding Light glyph tip, will make use of it for sure! I never thought of that! And is haste really that good for CM? Should I stack haste gems just for the challenge modes too on my raid gear? And please everyone keep the tips coming if there is anything else you would like to share :3

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 01:30 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Your group is probably not using stuns and interrupts properly.
    Other than that you answered your own question. You are geared badly. Get haste gear.
    The reason I don't have haste gear yet is because the leap from full mastery to full haste is way too high and I don't know if it's possible while my group is progressing without holding them back by having mediocre mitigation... : /

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenia View Post
    The reason I don't have haste gear yet is because the leap from full mastery to full haste is way too high and I don't know if it's possible while my group is progressing without holding them back by having mediocre mitigation... : /
    Well, that feels very silly to me. Having 2000 haste and 8000 mastery is better than 0 haste and 10000 mastery. It is not like you have to hit a magic break point for haste. If you have half haste half mastery gear, it is better than full mastery gear. Not to mention that if you are in raid gear, you got so many sockets so with reforging you would probably get more haste than mastery even if you are in full mastery gear.

    The more mastery you have, the more valuable haste is.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  6. #6
    The Patient Nynde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Swiss.
    Posts
    216
    Hallo there! As said before, use the blinding light glyph, and go full haste / str gear.

    Just try to comunicate with your party, when I ran golds, I called when my Guardian finishes, I called minor coldowns, the Sacrifice on me (had pala holy) and the warrior's schockwave.

    You have to do some teamwork to do those assassin pulls, we used to plan cds / stuns before beginning, as said before, the rotation of cds / stuns on assassin pulls were: My guardian, then my stun, then war stun, then sacrifice + minor cds like Divine.

    I can explain pull per pull as pala tank, so if you need some help just send me a PM or reply me here ^^

  7. #7
    Mechagnome Serenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    This is a secret :o
    Posts
    683
    So last night after listening to all of you and taking a look at some protection paladin threads I decided to go full haste and the result is 6620 haste. I only had some time to try it on heroic dungeons and everything felt much faster and cleaner. I still have to test it on today's raid on Feng HC though. Thank you all for the help and @ Nynde, thank you very much! If I need any help with a particular trash pack in the future I will make sure to PM you for help. Thank you all again ^_^

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •