Poll: Do you want the upgrade NPC removed?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Love how any feature that offers even a 0.0001% boost to someone's character power becomes "mandatory" and "necessary".

I only run LFR, due to work schedule, raiding is out of the question (4pm-12am, Mon-Fri = Not gonna work). I got my Relic of Xuen and my Sha-Touched Axe both upgraded. That is all I plan to do, cause nothing else will be sticking around as long frankly.

The feasibility of upgrading all your gear, as the mandatory crowd will argue, is out of the question. It takes just short of 6 MONTHS to do that. The only time we might see a content cycle that long (that you also won't have other things to spend JP on) with the timeframe they are working under in MoP, may be between Siege of Orgrimmar and Expansion #5.

5.2 rolls out. VP is downgraded to JP (as the usual happens every new tier). Are you gonna spend VP on Upgrades of your Normal Epics from your first week of raiding, or saving up for the new 5.2 Faction VP items? Right there, you can likely void 4-6 weeks (or more, depending on slots) of VP gains from being applicable to upgrading. By then, if you are "serious about raiding", you will be plugging away in Heroics, you aren't gonna spend a drop of VP on anything that isn't BiS, which you may have little to none of yet, depending on level of progress.

People arguing about "mandatory work we are forced to do to be better". It's a GAME. Have some FUN in it, and don't be all about the math and numbers. You'll realize how much more enjoyable it can be, when you don't try to consume every ounce of content immediately.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    Love how any feature that offers even a 0.0001% boost to someone's character power becomes "mandatory" and "necessary".
    To the extent that increasing player power is felt to be necessary, upgrading will be felt to be necessary.

To the extent that increasing player power isn't felt to be necessary, the feature can be removed from the game and it will not be missed.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

The funny part is that most of them spend so much time on their gear, that they don't spend enough time figuring strats to progress faster. Better strategies and playing is much more "necessary" than minor gear upgrades. But shhhhhh - no one will admit that. All they care about is maximizing that ilvl number...

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 05:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    To the extent that increasing player power is felt to be necessary, upgrading will be felt to be necessary.

To the extent that increasing player power isn't felt to be necessary, the feature can be removed from the game and it will not be missed.
    That is only true when there is only one way to progress. Currently, there are so many ways to do it. So there is no need to remove features.

Remove the VP upgrade, keep the JP upgrade imo. I despise having to pug lfr and dungeons just to get 30 extra strength on a item or something.

I wouldn't mind either way if they made getting VP quicker. But meh.

10+ Year Old Account

I only run LFR, due to work schedule, raiding is out of the question (4pm-12am, Mon-Fri = Not gonna work). I got my Relic of Xuen and my Sha-Touched Axe both upgraded. That is all I plan to do, cause nothing else will be sticking around as long frankly.

The feasibility of upgrading all your gear, as the mandatory crowd will argue, is out of the question. It takes just short of 6 MONTHS to do that. The only time we might see a content cycle that long (that you also won't have other things to spend JP on) with the timeframe they are working under in MoP, may be between Siege of Orgrimmar and Expansion #5.

5.2 rolls out. VP is downgraded to JP (as the usual happens every new tier). Are you gonna spend VP on Upgrades of your Normal Epics from your first week of raiding, or saving up for the new 5.2 Faction VP items? Right there, you can likely void 4-6 weeks (or more, depending on slots) of VP gains from being applicable to upgrading. By then, if you are "serious about raiding", you will be plugging away in Heroics, you aren't gonna spend a drop of VP on anything that isn't BiS, which you may have little to none of yet, depending on level of progress.

People arguing about "mandatory work we are forced to do to be better". It's a GAME. Have some FUN in it, and don't be all about the math and numbers. You'll realize how much more enjoyable it can be, when you don't try to consume every ounce of content immediately.
    THANK YOU. I'm so sick of people bitching constantly about "WAAAH, I'M REQUIRED TO DO THIS, WAAAH" for the stupid item upgrades. Bunch of tryhards.

Min/maxing is NOT REQUIRED for raiding unless you're a top 100 competitive guild, and if you're in that you should be used to maxing out.

VP/JP upgrades are supposed to be a valor dump so that if you already have all the valor gear you need, you can still progress your character by upgrading the gear slightly.

The whole "it gives me power so I'm 100% required to do this" mentality is killing the game.

I swear if Blizzard added an item in the game that increased all your stats by 20, but to be able to get it you had to kill every boss in the current tier 5 times, and it cost 30k gold, people would bitch and whine about it being 'mandatory'.

edit: I completely agree with the complaints about upgrading pvp gear.
    Last edited by Byniri; 2013-01-14 at 09:19 PM.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

I have no problem with the valor upgrade being removed, however, i see no reason to get rid of the JP upgrades. They are really quite helpful.

10+ Year Old Account

PvPers feel obligated to do it. And they actually can get their gear maxed before a new season begins. Albeit it being barely.

Forcing people to keep on playing like that is an entirely wrong approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    PvPers feel obligated to do it. And they actually can get their gear maxed before a new season begins. Albeit it being barely.

Forcing people to keep on playing like that is an entirely wrong approach.
    I believe that the primary argument against having pvp upgrades (or at least upgrades to current season conq gear) is that the exceptional players that are able to gain very high ratings get far more conq points per week than other players, which means they effectively max out much sooner plus they have upgrades. These powered up characters can now make it more difficult for other players to break into higher brackets due to how the pvp system works. Basically, the upgrade system gives an even greater advantage to the elite pvp players.

I don't really see a huge advantage when it comes to pve, unless you say the advantage goes to those who have raided/had characters longer, but it is only natural for you to have some sort of advantage from actually playing the game.

Why do people continue to state that the game 'forces' you to do this? Is there some sort of sliding scale where everyone determines what the game 'forces' you to do in order to actually play the game? According to the argument that you are forced to play because a way of getting a marginal upgrade exists, shouldn't i also complain that I am forced to pvp because I am not just gived a full set of epic pvp gear without pvping? Complaining about being forced to play because you 'need' these upgrades is like running a marathon and then complaining about the last 500 feet, getting to the point where you really even have anything worth upgrading means you have already been 'forced' to play quite a bit.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I believe that the primary argument against having pvp upgrades (or at least upgrades to current season conq gear) is that the exceptional players that are able to gain very high ratings get far more conq points per week than other players,
    What you believe is wrong. The primary argument against it is that PvP should be equal and fair at all times. And more farming for gear goes in the exact opposite direction of that goal.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 07:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    shouldn't i also complain that I am forced to pvp because I am not just gived a full set of epic pvp gear without pvping?
    Please, start doing that. If blizzard listens then PvP can finally be good and equal for everyone without having to farm like a madman.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    The idea is upgrades are taken out when a new raid comes out.
    That actually makes sense. It's to encourage people to buy the new pvp gear instead of upgrading the old which would be inferior even fully upgraded.

Every other patch sounds good.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

I would have zero issues with that. But for PvP it's just dumb.
    Requiring players to earn PvP gear is the dumb part. I keep hoping Blizzard will just normalize PvP gearing and find some kind of food pellets to dispense.

Yes in it current state.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    Requiring players to earn PvP gear is the dumb part. I keep hoping Blizzard will just normalize PvP gearing and find some kind of food pellets to dispense.
    That's idealistic. Every PvPer wants that. It's just not going to happen.

That's idealistic. Every PvPer wants that. It's just not going to happen.
    Would stop a lot of botting. Everyone I know who bots, does it to avoid the honor grind. They only care about rbg and arena anything else in the game gets botted (leveling, honor gear, etc).

Another thing that would help is if it Blizzard would just make the arena tournament realms a 365 day/year thing, with a tourney always going.

I thought id be fussed, but im not tbh,

but Ive spent the last 72 hours upgrading about, 6 piece or so of heroic gear, and not once did I get a single ilvl from it, I know 1 gear ilvl is .25 over all or something, but still I dont feel like I see a physically change to it

Anything that increases character power, should be done by any raider that is worth a spot.
    So yes item upgrades are mandatory for those who care, those who dont upgrade their gear are slacking, they might aswell not take a heroic item of the same slot as they have a normal item "as it is just a few ilvls higher". Upgrade= upgrade, hence why pve-ers got conq items at start as they were better then the 463 dungeon blues.
    Sure ppl killed bosses in less gear then we have now, but there are different amounts of skill, and ppl have been playing together for various times, some are guildies for 1 week, others for 5 years, the later will know how the tank moves in a certain situation= dps gain for melee.

As we aren't all in guilds full of top 50 material players, every single gearupgrade will bring you closer to a kill (provided that you have a working strategy). If you dont get these upgrades you are holding your guild back.
    Last edited by Sengiratolom; 2013-01-14 at 09:25 PM.

Blue post two hours ago confirms this is temporary and appears to indicate upgrade system will stay, while the rotation process between patches is in question.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...a-break-in-52/

What you believe is wrong. The primary argument against it is that PvP should be equal and fair at all times. And more farming for gear goes in the exact opposite direction of that goal.
    The problem here is that the game was not designed from the ground up as a pvp game, therefore pvp will apparently always be tied to gear. Sometimes I wonder why there is so much interest in pvp when it comes to WoW, there are many superior platforms designed around the idea of facing off against other players. They are never going to balance pvp in this game the way you will get balance in a game like Starcraft, so what is it that is so much more appealing about WoW than SC where you can perform many more APM? What is more appealing about wow than say, a FPS where it comes down to hours of honing fine reflexes to play competitively?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengiratolom View Post
    Anything that increases character power, should be done by any raider that is worth a spot.
    So yes item upgrades are mandatory for those who care those who dont upgrade their gear are slacking, they might aswell not take a heroic item of the same slot as they have a normal item "as it is just a few ilvls higher". Upgrade= upgrade, hence why pve-ers got conq items at start as they were better then the 463 dungeon blues.
    Sure ppl killed bosses in less gear then we have now, but there are different amounts of skill, and ppl have been playing together for various times, some are guildies for 1 week, others for 5 years, the later will know how the tank moves in a certain situation= dps gain for melee.

As we aren't all in guilds full of top 50 material players, every single gearupgrade will bring you closer to a kill (provided that you have a working strategy). If you dont get these upgrades you are holding your guild back.
    You don't need extreme min/maxing in order to raid, and I'm sick of people who say this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvaldin View Post
    Blue post two hours ago confirms this is temporary and appears to indicate upgrade system will stay, while the rotation process between patches is in question.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...a-break-in-52/
    Thank goodness.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Deleted
    I like the idea of them removing it, but i do think they should probably buff heroic dungeon drops a bit to compensate.