Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
16
24
... LastLast
  1. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinettik View Post
    But it is not, and it is this type of ignorance that hinders us as people. Why in any way does my ink negatively affect my professionalism? Did I somehow become less knowledgeable? Did my courteous nature somehow get misplaced? Did the fact that I have ink in any way at all change the great work I do? Answer yes to one of those, then we may have a real conversation, until then, you are just another typical ignorant person.
    Where do you have the ink?

    And again, when you're first meeting someone, it doesn't matter what you are on the inside as much as what you are on the outside. Disney movies make a fucking fortune lying to people.

  2. #262
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    9,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinettik View Post
    But it is not, and it is this type of ignorance that hinders us as people. Why in any way does my ink negatively affect my professionalism? Did I somehow become less knowledgeable? Did my courteous nature somehow get misplaced? Did the fact that I have ink in any way at all change the great work I do? Answer yes to one of those, then we may have a real conversation, until then, you are just another typical ignorant person.
    I'm going to answer your questions with a question of my own. Do you agree that there are people who are put off by the presence of tattoos even outside of professional dress?

    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

  3. #263
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Again, tattoos are fine if they can be covered by professional clothing.

    If you walk in looking like this, however:

    *snip*

    You don't get to complain when you don't get a job.
    That's the thing though. We are not the ones complaining, you are. You judge us, predetermined, based on art, then turn around, and claim that we are lazy, lower class, degrading, non-motivated, unprofessional, etc, etc..... bring our mental state into question, all the while claiming you don't judge. Hypocritical. Like I said, I am this person you describe, multiple tattoos (full sleeves, etc), piercings, yet in my short time on this earth, I have owned a company, had a family (3 kids) and make a better living than 95% of the people on this forum. Where exactly did I complain again....

  4. #264
    Stood in the Fire BlahBlahFrigginBlah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Deep inside the power core.
    Posts
    483
    by the way, i'd be perfectly happy burning at the stake whoever the person is that started the craze and told all these girls that these chest tatto's are in any way at all attractive. i've never seen a single one that looked good, the only thought i ever have when i see one is pity for the girl.

  5. #265
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Where do you have the ink?

    And again, when you're first meeting someone, it doesn't matter what you are on the inside as much as what you are on the outside. Disney movies make a fucking fortune lying to people.
    That again is the attitude of the ignorant. If you judge based on looks, you're a terrible human being, plain and simple. And, no, I have no ink on my face, but that isn't what this topic started as. I don't cover my art, and could care less what anyone else thinks, even though I know my work may rub people the wrong way. It is funny though, I am catholic, went to a catholic high school and Sunday mass, yet my ink is dark and portrays a lot of evil. I am not evil mind you, nor have I had my faith swayed in any way, but to assume so by art work, which I assume many do, is sad really.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I'm going to answer your questions with a question of my own. Do you agree that there are people who are put off by the presence of tattoos even outside of professional dress?
    I do, and again, its quite pathetic. What difference does it make if I have ink? If I'm in a suit and tie, and you see nothing, you see me as a classy, well dressed professional. If I change into jeans and a Tee, how exactly did that make me a different person? Am I superman in reverse, and this is my alter ego.....???

    Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahFrigginBlah View Post
    by the way, i'd be perfectly happy burning at the stake whoever the person is that started the craze and told all these girls that these chest tatto's are in any way at all attractive. i've never seen a single one that looked good, the only thought i ever have when i see one is pity for the girl.
    Your opinion. Make that clear with your statements. And just because you can't appreciate the work, doesn't mean it isn't attractive, it is just not attractive to you.
    Last edited by Kinettik; 2013-01-15 at 02:31 AM.

  6. #266
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    9,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinettik View Post

    I do, and again, its quite pathetic. What difference does it make if I have ink? If I'm in a suit and tie, and you see nothing, you see me as a classy, well dressed professional. If I change into jeans and a Tee, how exactly did that make me a different person? Am I superman in reverse, and this is my alter ego.....???
    If no one can see your ink, than its a moot point and it isn't unprofessional at all. The only reason why I see it as unprofessional is that it actively interferes with the purpose of being a professional: being not only the most educated in a specific area, but being able to lead and interact with both a team and members of the public. If you have tattoos over your face, than it severely hinders your ability to do so.

    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

  7. #267
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinettik View Post
    That's the thing though. We are not the ones complaining, you are. You judge us, predetermined, based on art, then turn around, and claim that we are lazy, lower class, degrading, non-motivated, unprofessional, etc, etc..... bring our mental state into question, all the while claiming you don't judge. Hypocritical. Like I said, I am this person you describe, multiple tattoos (full sleeves, etc), piercings, yet in my short time on this earth, I have owned a company, had a family (3 kids) and make a better living than 95% of the people on this forum. Where exactly did I complain again....
    I don't recall ever saying or even insinuating that people with tattoos or piercings are lower class, lazy, unmotivated etc etc...

    I mean christ, man... I have earrings. The difference is, in a professional setting, I'm more than happy to take them out because I know they're unprofessional. I don't go to luncheons with my business partners with them in and, had I a tattoo, I would cover it up because they look unprofessional.

    Whether you like it or not, people give a shit about how you look.

    Someone with a visible tattoo, based on this thread, says one of 2 (probably both) things.

    1) I don't care about actually getting this job so I'll make no effort to appear clean-cut and professional.

    2) Fuck the system. If they can't handle my tats then I don't want the job anyway.

    Both are incredibly immature ways of looking at things. No one in the real world gives a shit about your "free spirit" or your "freedom of expression" or your rebellious attitude or your mother or anything that drove you to get a tattoo. All they care about is:

    1) What they can get out of you.

    2) What kind of face you put on the company.

    Tattoos fall under the category of #2, and when you put on a shitty face for the company, that lessens what they can get out of you.

  8. #268
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    If no one can see your ink, than its a moot point and it isn't unprofessional at all. The only reason why I see it as unprofessional is that it actively interferes with the purpose of being a professional: being not only the most educated in a specific area, but being able to lead and interact with both a team and members of the public. If you have tattoos over your face, than it severely hinders your ability to do so.
    HOW? Because you are so narrow minded that a person with tattoos cannot be the most educated? This is a you problem. This is a societal problem. These things only exist because people are so scared by something "different", that they cant look past it. Are you claiming that a person with tattoos cant speak publicly, in a company setting, and be one of authority because of tattoos? How can any rational person even come to these conclusions??

  9. #269
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinettik View Post
    I do, and again, its quite pathetic. What difference does it make if I have ink? If I'm in a suit and tie, and you see nothing, you see me as a classy, well dressed professional. If I change into jeans and a Tee, how exactly did that make me a different person? Am I superman in reverse, and this is my alter ego.....???
    If you cover them up then why is this even a fucking conversation?

    It's been said several times that if you can cover the tattoo in a professional environment then it's no one's business. Take the earrings out and wear long sleeves and you're set.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 02:38 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinettik View Post
    HOW? Because you are so narrow minded that a person with tattoos cannot be the most educated? This is a you problem. This is a societal problem. These things only exist because people are so scared by something "different", that they cant look past it. Are you claiming that a person with tattoos cant speak publicly, in a company setting, and be one of authority because of tattoos? How can any rational person even come to these conclusions??
    No, we're claiming that a person with tattoos had better be ready to follow rules of professional conduct if s/he wants to work in a professional setting.

    As I already said, the idea that someone has to listen to you even when you look like a twat with facial tattoos is an almost unparalleled sense of entitlement that just doesn't fly in the real world.

  10. #270
    Mechagnome Osyrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    657
    i can handle hand and up the the neck tattoos. i personally do not like face tattoos at all. I think they just dont add anything to the person.

    i do not discriminate against a fully tattooed person unless they handle themselves in a manner that would make me uncomfortable or seem inappropriate

    i would see a doctor, lawyer and hire a person who seemed correct for the position regardless of their personal body modifications.

  11. #271
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    9,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinettik View Post
    HOW? Because you are so narrow minded that a person with tattoos cannot be the most educated? This is a you problem. This is a societal problem. These things only exist because people are so scared by something "different", that they cant look past it. Are you claiming that a person with tattoos cant speak publicly, in a company setting, and be one of authority because of tattoos? How can any rational person even come to these conclusions??
    You seem to be incredibly upset about this; I suggest you calm down and objectively analyze the arguments laid before you. Being a professional is more than just knowing how to do your job. It's about being an interface for said knowledge. And if you have a quality about you that can severely hinder your ability to do so, whatever reason others may have for such dismissal, than it becomes a problem for your professionalism. Knowingly accepting this and putting your personal feelings about freedom or expression or what have you above your ability to perform your role as a professional, is an unprofessional act.

    But no, go on, continue saying that I think people with tattoos are uneducated slobs. It's not like my avatar has a tattoo on her arm or anything like that.

    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

  12. #272
    Scarab Lord Maxilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    4,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Depends on the tattoo. Yes, I judge the guy with a swastika made up of penises on his forehead.
    Well as he say, i judge them depending on the tattoo

  13. #273
    Titan peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in England.
    Posts
    13,879
    Sme tattoos I do judge people for, but others I don't. Where I use to live there was a lot of marines, and nearly all got the same tattoo on their arms of the royal marine logo thing, don't judge for that
    Signature pending

  14. #274
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I don't recall ever saying or even insinuating that people with tattoos or piercings are lower class, lazy, unmotivated etc etc...

    I mean christ, man... I have earrings. The difference is, in a professional setting, I'm more than happy to take them out because I know they're unprofessional. I don't go to luncheons with my business partners with them in and, had I a tattoo, I would cover it up because they look unprofessional.

    Whether you like it or not, people give a shit about how you look.

    Someone with a visible tattoo, based on this thread, says one of 2 (probably both) things.

    1) I don't care about actually getting this job so I'll make no effort to appear clean-cut and professional.

    2) Fuck the system. If they can't handle my tats then I don't want the job anyway.

    Both are incredibly immature ways of looking at things. No one in the real world gives a shit about your "free spirit" or your "freedom of expression" or your rebellious attitude or your mother or anything that drove you to get a tattoo. All they care about is:

    1) What they can get out of you.

    2) What kind of face you put on the company.

    Tattoos fall under the category of #2, and when you put on a shitty face for the company, that lessens what they can get out of you.
    Do you believe the things you say? Are you really that naive? Whether you like it or not, the world is changing. These people who you claim put a shitty face on a company, are the ones you will slowly see becoming the new face of a workplace still stuck in past eras. Again, go back and read some of the early pages, the College Professor, at a well respected University, running for President, all the while covered in tattoos. The younger generation, the up and comers are not your clean cut types anymore.

    You take your earrings out when you go to a luncheon cause you feel they may not respect you later? And this isn't a "fuck the system" approach, it is a "I will change your perception" tactic. If you cant respect me for me, I don't want to work for you anyways. And again, I have had no issues being me, in a professional setting, because I am me. I am honest, I am blunt, I am no nonsense, and I work my ass off. If those qualities are overshadowed by ink, by art, then you are the issue, not me.

  15. #275
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Depends on the tattoo. Yes, I judge the guy with a swastika made up of penises on his forehead.
    I would like to upvote this reply plz. Pretty sure I'm breaking a rule with my own reply about wanting to upvote this reply. Also, I would like to upvote Kujako's sig. ....I think I'm on the wrong site. "A" "A" "A" "A" /upvote /suckhard....it's not working. either way, Kujako, your post made me chuckle.

  16. #276
    Titan peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in England.
    Posts
    13,879
    I know a lot of employers will judge you based on tattoos, for certain jobs. The company I work for doesn't let peoe with tattoos do customer service jobs. A lot of companies are the same. A small tattoo on the arm is ok, but full face tattoo can be a bit off putting to customers.
    Signature pending

  17. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    If you cover them up then why is this even a fucking conversation?

    It's been said several times that if you can cover the tattoo in a professional environment then it's no one's business. Take the earrings out and wear long sleeves and you're set.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 02:38 AM ----------



    No, we're claiming that a person with tattoos had better be ready to follow rules of professional conduct if s/he wants to work in a professional setting.

    As I already said, the idea that someone has to listen to you even when you look like a twat with facial tattoos is an almost unparalleled sense of entitlement that just doesn't fly in the real world.
    I don't cover them up, that was just an analogy. I refuse to cover them up, or remove my earrings. I was brought in to do a job, and whatever stigma you have, my ink or piercings do not in any way negatively affect my work, nor my ability to convey that work in a "Professional" setting as you call it. Granted, I am no Fortune 500 Wall Street guy, but that doesn't mean I don't deal with corporate type professionals daily, all the while, being who I am.

    If you think it doesn't work like this in the real world, I implore you to look again, you may be surprised.

  18. #278
    The Lightbringer Orlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Class 1,000,000 Clean Room
    Posts
    3,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Not a tattoo guy myself. But when I see neck tattoos or hand tattoos I immediately judge them. Not sure why I judge them but I think immediately they are homeless or unemployed.

    I'm sure most are not but I can't help but think they lack crucial life skills and are losers.

    Anyone else think this?

    Don't get me started on face tattoos or piercings.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 10:37 PM ----------

    on a side note. I love shows like Ink Master. I do appreciate the art behind it.
    I think they are a bunch of freaks. Especially those with giant corks and crap in their ears and noses. Bunch of criminals and bikers and losers who will never get a job anywhere other than a bar or tattoo shop or skate shop

  19. #279
    Titan peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in England.
    Posts
    13,879
    I think for jobs where you are not going to be seen by customers/clients tattoos are fine, it shouldn't matter. But if youre in a job dealing face to face with clients/customers, I think you need to look professonal and respectable.
    Signature pending

  20. #280
    High Overlord Structures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    194
    i know probably 10x more people with tattoos, piercings and stretched ears that are more successful and more happy with their life than the average person without tattoos piercings are stretched ears is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •