[resto] When to Nature's Vigil

I picked heart of the wild as my lvl 90 talent and never changed it so far. A flat 6% INT bonus seems better overall for me compared to Nature's Vigil, a 3 min CD that only server to increase the power of our already weak hots. Since it is based on percentages, it will not impact hots as much as it would a direct heal(Such as a pala's). At least that's what I think.

That's why I am waiting for you to contradict me and make me want to spec into this talent for some fights. Is there a particular fight where Nature's vigil shines over HoTW? My gut instinct tells me it's long fights, such as Will of the Emperor, where the ability can be used numerous times during combat.

When the damage come in big "bursts", e.g on windlord (4th boss in HoF) i use NV + Tranq when he casts "Rain of blades" in last phase, works out quite well. But in 5.2 when they nerf the healing to just 10% more i don't think i will use it on any fight at all.

I thought of Wind Lord's Rain of Blades too, but he does too many of those to make Nature's Vigil worthwhile. It can be used only once, and usually, a CD is enough to live through it. If everyone uses personal CDs, that makes it even easier to heal through it.

Tsulong Tree up and drop those regrowth bombs

10+ Year Old Account
    I rarely use it at particular phases, I rejuv everyone while our pull countdown is going and then as the pull hits use NV spam rejuv and hit innervate, can usually hit 35-40k dps and then I just use it off CD. I dont like the talent that much but HoW was something I rarely used so I figured that little bit of extra healing/dps might help more. I am definitely not going to touch it in 5.2 if it goes to 10%, dont really like our end tier that much.

It's a throughput CD. use it whenever you need a healing boost, ie, when there's large raid damage. Or, you can couple it with another CD (tree or tranq) if you want a HUGE burst CD.

Personally i only use it on reg tsulong, because you're actually spam healing for prolonged periods. I find HotW far more useful and more fun. Most fights have decent lulls in healing where you can actually dish out a decent amount of damage. Like opening with 45 secs of 100k+ dps on reg windlord. Maybe heroics are different, and NV is more useful

Quote Originally Posted by Beastest View Post
    Tsulong Tree up and drop those regrowth bombs
    regrowth? do the living seeds actually proc on him? is HT better than regrowth-minus seeds?

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I rarely use it at particular phases, I rejuv everyone while our pull countdown is going and then as the pull hits use NV spam rejuv and hit innervate, can usually hit 35-40k dps and then I just use it off CD. I dont like the talent that much but HoW was something I rarely used so I figured that little bit of extra healing/dps might help more. I am definitely not going to touch it in 5.2 if it goes to 10%, dont really like our end tier that much.
    I don't understand what you're saying. It sounds to me like you just blow NV right off the bat and then blanket rejuv everyone. What fight does damage where that's needed? And then you're oom after 20secs and have to basically waste your first innverate, because you just blew all your mana rejuving a bunch of full hp targets?
    Last edited by asharia; 2013-01-14 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anzolix View Post
    When the damage come in big "bursts", e.g on windlord (4th boss in HoF) i use NV + Tranq when he casts "Rain of blades" in last phase, works out quite well. But in 5.2 when they nerf the healing to just 10% more i don't think i will use it on any fight at all.
    Be careful with NV breaking CC though. It's damaging range is 40 yards from ANYONE that you heal.

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    regrowth? do the living seeds actually proc on him? is HT better than regrowth-minus seeds?
    Instant cast with guaranteed crit vs. a 2+ seconds cast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post
    Be careful with NV breaking CC though. It's damaging range is 40 yards from ANYONE that you heal.
    Healing CD's shouldn't really be used before all adds are down anyway (normal that is), so this would only be a problem in heroic difficulty

Instant cast with guaranteed crit vs. a 2+ seconds cast.
    instant cast isn't a hps increase. you're still waiting on the GCD. tree just lets you use them on the move.

Yep, we found this out much to my raids annoyance after a couple wipes. It's probably an oversight by blizz, but I actually prefer hotw anyway.

instant cast isn't a hps increase. you're still waiting on the GCD. tree just lets you use them on the move.
    A critting regrowth is more healing than a non-critting HT. The hps of Regrowth is double that of HT.

It's a throughput CD. use it whenever you need a healing boost, ie, when there's large raid damage. Or, you can couple it with another CD (tree or tranq) if you want a HUGE burst CD.

Personally i only use it on reg tsulong, because you're actually spam healing for prolonged periods. I find HotW far more useful and more fun. Most fights have decent lulls in healing where you can actually dish out a decent amount of damage. Like opening with 45 secs of 100k+ dps on reg windlord. Maybe heroics are different, and NV is more useful

I don't understand what you're saying. It sounds to me like you just blow NV right off the bat and then blanket rejuv everyone. What fight does damage where that's needed? And then you're oom after 20secs and have to basically waste your first innverate, because you just blew all your mana rejuving a bunch of full hp targets?
    If you do it my way you get all your stuff up on the boss you can do HT or regrowth depends on your mana. Right be for first breath pop TOL and NV with anything else you have for throughput but not your haste cds ill get to that in a sec. With the TOL popped you get insta cast regrowths and your can get a few full regrowth crits before the buff wears off I usually at that point do as much as my mana can spare knowing that im gonna get another breath. I'm pretty sure Tree is usually down before the 2nd breath but For the 2nd I pop beserking and Lifeblood and thats also when I used my NS HT I usually just go with regrowths for the crit but I don't really have many mana problems anymore at least not on normal mode. Usually I save my tranq for the transition unless I really wanna cheese the meters more than usual.

My guild also uses a trick with bloodlust for tsulong. We have the healers stand way back on the lei shi platform and have the dps and tanks get their lust at the start from the mage. We run in as soon as we see the sated debuff go out and use our lust from the resto sham early in the healing phase.

NV can be used to counter burst, it can also be used to give you another "raid cd" assuming you will be going hard on heals to counter the burst - if you pop NV u will use less mana to keep ppl alive during that burst phase.

However, I personally haven't been using NV much though, mostly when I need a stronger tranq or ToL... The 6% int is pretty good though, at my current gear level it around 1k int which is pretty good. That extra int helps a lot for throughput and like I said, if burst is not a prob then I just use HotW for the raw int bonus and usually have fun outdpsing some ppl at the start.

I spec Heart of the Wild most of the time, but Nature's vigil has its uses. The best use I've found is when I heal the bulk of the raid alone through a Force and Verve on heroic Zor'lok (10man, echo platform), so I pop it along with tranq to make sure everyone survives. The same goes for that crappy F&V that starts during an Attenuation in the last phase. It also pairs nicely with tranq during Rain of Blades on Wind Lord, and used with either tranq or Incarnation when you're using it to heal the raid through one of Lei Shi's later Get Aways. I'm not sure I'll play with it much after the change, but there are a few fights now where I'm glad to have the on-demand boost to my healing.

10+ Year Old Account

Firstly i pre blanket before pull, so im running on non combat regen, I dont drop below 90%, I then hit NV and cast a few more Rejuves on those dropping off, then pop innervate and im alway back to 100% I really dont know why I would be out of mana after blanketing 10 people, and it doesnt matter if they dont need healing it still does 30-40k damage for 30 seconds at literally no mana cost, its not about keeping people alive its about getting some decent dps, with HoW ill hit 50-60k but my other healer then has to do all the work and it only get used once per fight. With this I do moderate damage and get to use it another 2 or 3 times, I never oom or even come close to it, I dont know why anyone would this far in to the tier.

Its not a great tactic I was just saying what I do on farm fights to eek out some dps, I dont really like any of the talents, but my damage on NV + healing done is normally comparable with my damage done with one use of HoW doing this. I particularly use it on heroic gara where I can also spam regrowths then go in to the spirit realm to regen mana.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-01-16 at 07:52 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Firstly i pre blanket before pull, so im running on non combat regen, I dont drop below 90%, I then hit NV and cast a few more Rejuves on those dropping off, then pop innervate and im alway back to 100% I really dont know why I would be out of mana after blanketing 10 people, and it doesnt matter if they dont need healing it still does 30-40k damage for 30 seconds at literally no mana cost, its not about keeping people alive its about getting some decent dps, with HoW ill hit 50-60k but my other healer then has to do all the work and it only get used once per fight. With this I do moderate damage and get to use it another 2 or 3 times, I never oom or even come close to it, I dont know why anyone would this far in to the tier.

Its not a great tactic I was just saying what I do on farm fights to eek out some dps, I dont really like any of the talents, but my damage on NV + healing done is normally comparable with my damage done with one use of HoW doing this. I particularly use it on heroic gara where I can also spam regrowths then go in to the spirit realm to regen mana.
    A single HOTW cd = 4-5mil damage for me, how on earth do you do 4-5mil with nature's vigil? Then add the +6% intellect which buffs every single heal you cast on the fight. NV is a good cooldown, but not the way you use it, you're wasting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the fight i use this on is hc garajal, im in 383 and I only manage 2.5 mil with How, with NV I did 1.4 mil. I only need NV in the last phase which leaves 5 minutes where I dont need to use NV so how is it a waste to use it to its full potential dps wise? Sure I could go Hotw but I really doubt my co healer would enjoy me slacking for 30 seconds, nor would I like missing the healing buff in the final phase, I shouldnt have said i did the same dps, it was a bit early this morning i typed it, I do less but more healing, (granted a lot overheal)
    And on some farm fights that take more than 6 minutes I can get 3 uses instead of 2, again I dont proclaim its a great tactic but neither do I waste anything seeing as noone dies and I dont oom, I do more dps and more healing.
    Elegon is another example where I need NV in the last phase but not at any other time so again I tend to do the same, that lasts over 6 minutes for us so get 3 uses instead of 2 as well, other fights I might chose to use HoW if my healer doesnt mind me slacking for 30 seconds and I dont need a on use healing boost. So 3 uses instead of 2 doesnt seem like a waste.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-01-16 at 02:57 PM.