Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    I feel it's unreasonable to expect that big of a change and most of the time with all the gear on you will notice just a few skeletal changes if any.If they change the casting and combat animations as well as visual upgrades than that would be worth complaining for ,but I am not sure that's the case here.

  2. #22
    Brewmaster Tucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,340
    No one cared that much until they said they had plans in the future to change them, lol. It'd be nice to see but they should work on class balance before they make things prettier, especially since the game is already insanely demanding for what it is.
    i5 2500k @ 4.7Ghz | GTX 670 SLI OC | 8gb DDR3 1600 | ASRock P67 Extreme4 | X-Fi Platinum | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Corsair TX650 | LG M2762D-PM 27" 1080p | Logitech THX Z-5300e 5.1 | CM Stacker STC-T01 | Razer Naga/Logitech MX-518 | Noppoo Choc Mini Cherry MX Red | Logitech G330/Audio-Technica ATH-M50

  3. #23
    Elemental Lord Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    8,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
    No one cared that much until they said they had plans in the future to change them, lol. It'd be nice to see but they should work on class balance before they make things prettier, especially since the game is already insanely demanding for what it is.
    The only issue with that is that they don't have their graphics department also doing the number crunching.

    That being said, I agree with your sentiment that there are more important things than character models. Honestly, my character occupies an extremely tiny part of my screen... I suppose people who play with their camera hiked up onto their toon's shoulders might see some issue, but frankly, my tiny character, under all of his armor, doesn't seem particularly in need of an upgrade.

    And I play a male human, so... yeah.
    "Do not look down, my friend. Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope... Hope for a better day, hope for a new dawn... Or just hope for a good breakfast. You start small, then see what you can get." ~ Covetous Shen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  4. #24
    I think most players would have preferred they spend the same amount of time and effort on new models/animations INSTEAD of on Pet Battles.

    Cue all the "but it's a different development team working on that!" fanboys prepared to make excuses for a bad decision on Blizzard's part.

  5. #25
    Elemental Lord Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    8,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Path View Post
    I think most players would have preferred they spend the same amount of time and effort on new models/animations INSTEAD of on Pet Battles.

    Cue all the "but it's a different development team working on that!" fanboys prepared to make excuses for a bad decision on Blizzard's part.
    I think I'd rather hear how you think you've worked around that rather glaringly obvious fact in your brain.
    "Do not look down, my friend. Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope... Hope for a better day, hope for a new dawn... Or just hope for a good breakfast. You start small, then see what you can get." ~ Covetous Shen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  6. #26
    I am Murloc! Sky High's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SO-CALI
    Posts
    5,032
    the last update i remember hearing on the revamped models was they had finished humans and were at the time working on dwarves males/female and orcs were next up. however that was a few months ago with no update on it since, but they have said that new models were more then likely NOT going to come out this expansion. so keep in mind that may be the big selling point of the next expac.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by ace94 View Post
    I stopped playing WoW until they update the models which are a decade old by now. And my bet is that we won't even see them in MoP, rather in the next expansion as something "new" which should be out by now if they weren't scratching their ...

    Anyone else that shares my opinion? Are Blizzard really that slow or a company which makes billions can't afford to get this needed change out for so long?
    This is absolutely one of the dumbest reasons for leaving an MMO that I've ever read, sorry.

    Would new models be nice? Sure. Would I walk away from my guild, friends, relationships with other guilds, and everything else that compels me to play WoW over them? Hell no.

    I WANT MY DRAENEI TO HAVE MOAR POLYS OR I LEAVE. Seriously...

    Oh and btw? Money doesn't just magically conjure up a team of new 3d modellers, texture artists and animators. Blizz is notoriously picky about who they hire, as well they should be, and aren't gonna just dump a ton of people into their midst for the sake of something like this.

    Oh and in addition, for everyone like you who is raging about wanting new models, there's someone who is like OMG NO STAY THE EFF AWAY FROM MY TOON I LIKE IT FINE THE WAY IT IS.

    And you wonder why its taking this long? Because its something that as many people will hate as will love.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by ace94 View Post
    I stopped playing WoW until they update the models which are a decade old by now.
    You quit because of that? That's silly.

    And my bet is that we won't even see them in MoP, rather in the next expansion as something "new" which should be out by now if they weren't scratching their ...
    I'm willing to bet that you have no idea what goes into the process. Not only do they have to create the models, but rig it, animate it, etc. It's not something a company can just whip out one afternoon.

    Anyone else that shares my opinion? Are Blizzard really that slow or a company which makes billions can't afford to get this needed change out for so long?
    This "argument" is really, really annoying. You can't simply throw money at a problem and expect a better outcome. There comes a point and time where having additional people working on something doesn't help the process. Think about it this way: if a McDonald's store hired literally 20 people to make a hamburger, do you think all of those 20 people are actually helping expedite the process? Moreover, as Kathranis stated, they're hiring.

    I know it sucks to hear "just wait for it", but that's all one can do. This isn't unreasonable. Then again, this is Blizzard, I suppose I should be accustomed to people bitching.

  9. #29
    Banned The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,192
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Dreading the day more than anticipating it. The new trolls look atrocious and I don't really want them fucking around with all the other races like that.
    I am sorry, but the new trolls look just like artwork from warcraft 3, I am finally glad trolls will look less like retarded thin blue orcs and more like the tribal warrior people they are.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    I just don't see why they can't hire more people.

    Right, I know that changing the people who work on a game changes the game (/tinfoilhat the A team moving to Titan /tinfoilhat) but good God Blizzard is slow.

    I'd certainly want more quality content as opposed to models which will lose their shine in a month, but it's getting a bit ridiculous. Have you seen Tauren lately? :\
    Apparently this is news to you, but Blizzard is constantly on the lookout for talent. Or maybe you just don't have standards.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 11:32 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by kolston View Post
    I'm all for the new models, but they won't make the game any more fun. If you cant find a more compelling reason to log in, then it may be time to quit for good anyway.
    Maybe you just don't understand how much someone can enjoy something visual without making them seem shallow or superficial because you don't have an ounce of appreciation for things like sculptures or paintings. Or maybe you are just blind to how good WOW's visuals are because it's not Crysis.
    Last edited by Yig; 2013-01-14 at 05:32 AM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  11. #31
    Banned The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Maybe you just don't understand how much someone can enjoy something visual without making them seem shallow or superficial because you don't have an ounce of appreciation for things like sculptures or paintings. Or maybe you are just blind to how good WOW's visuals are because it's not Crysis.
    Wow, I am totally not one to rip on people for graphics but let's be honest here, WoW has a MAJOR problem in the fact that they are making High quality and high poly model armor and weapons that fit on low poly 2006 models.

    Not a day goes by that creeps me out looking at an Orc females hand because their thumbs are backwards.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    I don't understand what the big deal with new character models is. While I'd like to see new models, as long as the overall game is fun, I don't mind the 2004 level graphics that much. Gameplay to me is always better than grpahics.
    Why the fuck does it have to be a binary situation? It's not an issue of either/or here.
    If you can't appreciate how radically different your old model would look with living expressions and reactions like a Pandaren, maybe you should just leave others be without pulling a false dilemma like that. Or maybe you just want to announce your standards. But you seem to be implying people who appreciate visuals are shallow or superficial and that attitude get's passed around gaming communities like a dogmatic meme.

    Both issues are important, otherwise there are 20 years of games you can play that don't put half of their budgets toward paying top industry artists to create art for their games that happen to be very fun without being oriented around visuals at all.

    WOW was advertised in 2004 as having interesting visuals. That doesn't mean they have to be state of the art.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 11:39 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Warmage View Post
    I feel it's unreasonable to expect that big of a change and most of the time with all the gear on you will notice just a few skeletal changes if any.If they change the casting and combat animations as well as visual upgrades than that would be worth complaining for ,but I am not sure that's the case here.
    They are upgrading the casting and combat animations, which will make a huge difference when you seem them. They will seem more expressive and animated, as well as having facial expressions.

    And after 8 years I am still constantly looking at my character. I don't play zoomed out like this is some casino I waste time on while watching TV. I play like I am down inside of the world and I am always watching my character in action.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 11:43 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
    No one cared that much until they said they had plans in the future to change them, lol. It'd be nice to see but they should work on class balance before they make things prettier, especially since the game is already insanely demanding for what it is.
    They are ALWAYS working on class balance. Just because you got pwned in a battleground doesn't mean this isn't one of the most balanced MMOs on the market, which it is, and which is remarkable considering how many abilities each class has and how many classes there are.

    And plenty of people have cared, this issue has been asked about since TBC and it's only been increasing. This has been the single most important issue in this game to me since before WOTLK when I saw how much better Blizzard was getting with visuals.

    And you act as if class balance and the art team in any way are related, and that's nonsensical.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 11:44 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The only issue with that is that they don't have their graphics department also doing the number crunching.

    That being said, I agree with your sentiment that there are more important things than character models. Honestly, my character occupies an extremely tiny part of my screen... I suppose people who play with their camera hiked up onto their toon's shoulders might see some issue, but frankly, my tiny character, under all of his armor, doesn't seem particularly in need of an upgrade.

    And I play a male human, so... yeah.
    What are those issues? What are your pet issues that are so important? This game is a damn good game as it is. What is so important that you think everything else should be put on the side?
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  13. #33
    Think about it...since classic WoW, the 4 expansions have only had 5 new races. "updating models" isn't just updating them...it's a complete REMAKE. To completely remake the other 8 races is no easy task. I'd rather just keep the current models, they aren't that bad, and they'd still need to follow a max polygon count. New races > "update" old races.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    the last update i remember hearing on the revamped models was they had finished humans and were at the time working on dwarves males/female and orcs were next up. however that was a few months ago with no update on it since, but they have said that new models were more then likely NOT going to come out this expansion. so keep in mind that may be the big selling point of the next expac.
    You're mistaken. Dwarves were first, then orcs and humans were started at the same time in September. Nobody ever said anything about any race being finished. For all we know dwarves were left unfinished to work on orcs and humans.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  15. #35
    Bloodsail Admiral Giants41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York, United States of America
    Posts
    1,067
    Are they updating animations as well? God i hope so.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

  16. #36
    I am Murloc! Luko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Danger Zone
    Posts
    5,915
    Don't get me wrong. I'm one of the biggest advocates of updating the characters models on this site... however the game has gotten to the point now where I'd be fine with new facial textures and some updated hair. I really don't need anything more than that and it'd take away from far more important issues. If they can squeeze it into the next xpac than so be it, but I'm not asking for much.

    You do realize that if they released a patch that was majorly about updating the characters (which is the amount of effort it'd require from the team) the playerbase would FREAK.

    "Where's the new content!" "Youve spent months on THIS?!?!" "I miss my old appearance" "This is such a waste of blizzards time" "I dont care about hair I want lewts"

    See, thing is, you really can't please this community and right now, they're doing a perfectly good job of not pleasing the community without doing anything groundbreaking. What some of you are suggesting would take countless hours of dedication and support to... you guessed it.. not make the playerbase happy. Put yourself in their shoes. Which would you do?
    Listen kiddos, trust Handsome Jack. You want every part of this insanity.
    So many people are gonna die.

    Formerly Ryngo Blackratchet

  17. #37
    I am Murloc! Sky High's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SO-CALI
    Posts
    5,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    You're mistaken. Dwarves were first, then orcs and humans were started at the same time in September. Nobody ever said anything about any race being finished. For all we know dwarves were left unfinished to work on orcs and humans.
    whoopsy daisy.

  18. #38
    Bloodsail Admiral Giants41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York, United States of America
    Posts
    1,067
    I'd bet money they are shown off at Blizzcon
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Wow, I am totally not one to rip on people for graphics but let's be honest here, WoW has a MAJOR problem in the fact that they are making High quality and high poly model armor and weapons that fit on low poly 2006 models.

    Not a day goes by that creeps me out looking at an Orc females hand because their thumbs are backwards.
    WOW's graphics have always had a simplistic beauty and whimsical character to them, and in 2004 their graphics blew away anything on the market unless you think textures are better than forms. Even while WOW had jagged edges, it's movements and style made up for it. Stylized art like Blizzard's is meant to be looked at from far away, just like a Monet or Cezanne painting. I was drawn to WOW specifically because of it's visuals, then I stayed for how smooth and responsive the movement and animations were.

    Raiding the same arbitrary cycle and playing advanced paper, rock, scissors for PVP was just an excuse to stay and enjoy the rest of the game for me. The original models have a lot of limitations in them, but they were just on the edge of looking a lot better. If you saw someone making these character models in 3d out of paper you'd probably find them kind of neat. And that's a big part of WOW's strength, it looked "kinda neat". Charm and whimsy goes a long way when you're not counting polygons.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 11:54 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    Are they updating animations as well? God i hope so.
    Yes, they are giving them facial expressions and redoing every animation to look like the Pandaren's in quality. While the maneuvers are still going to be the same, undead will still do their flip when you heroic strike for instance, they will look more expressive and have those animated cartoon physics you see in Thrall and the PAndaren that make them look more bouncy and expressive, sort of a spring in their step.

    This is why this project is taking so long. It's as much work as making a brand new race from scratch. They may have the same skeleton shape when you line them up, but the new skeletons have much more rigging and animations. Blizzard takes around a year developing a new race, and this is several times more extensive than that as a project.

    I hope they make this the main feature for the next expansion over a new player race. This would let them not only justify devoting more time than side project to this, it could see expanded customization options like new haircuts and wildhammer tattoos and mag'har orc skins.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 11:58 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    I'd bet money they are shown off at Blizzcon
    I have been guessing the same thing, since they were announced. I saw everyone setting them self up for defeat who thought monks would have to be updated to do their animations or that we'd see these models in the first patch of MOP. Especially when after 6 months we discovered only dwarves had been worked on.
    I did not expect them to do new animations, though I was my deepest desire regarding this project when I first saw a Goblin smile and look around with actual facial expressions and lips and individual teeth. I immediately thought of how amazing a dwarf would look who did the same thing.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  20. #40
    Banned The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    WOW's graphics have always had a simplistic beauty and whimsical character to them, and in 2004 their graphics blew away anything on the market unless you think textures are better than forms. Even while WOW had jagged edges, it's movements and style made up for it. Stylized art like Blizzard's is meant to be looked at from far away, just like a Monet or Cezanne painting. I was drawn to WOW specifically because of it's visuals, then I stayed for how smooth and responsive the movement and animations were.
    I also enjoy the Art style and imagery WoW produces.. it doesn't stop alot of the Player models looking like crystalized ass. Case in point, Most Alliance models.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •