Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm excited for new models, I just hope they update Draenei and Blood elf models too. I think I read that they were last to be done but I hope when the new models come out they release all of them at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Apparently this is news to you, but Blizzard is constantly on the lookout for talent. Or maybe you just don't have standards.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 11:32 PM ----------

Maybe you just don't understand how much someone can enjoy something visual without making them seem shallow or superficial because you don't have an ounce of appreciation for things like sculptures or paintings. Or maybe you are just blind to how good WOW's visuals are because it's not Crysis.
    Hahaha, I can already see how this conversation is going to go, but I'll bite anyway. How in the hell does my statement imply in anyway that I don't appreciate art? Also, I never even implied that WoWs visuals were bad, although I do agree that they are dated, that much is obvious. I merely stated that quitting a game because the visuals haven't been updated is ridiculous. I would bet that most people play games because they are fun and engaging, not because they like to stare at their characters in awe. Updated models are needed, yes, but as I said before, they will not make the game anymore fun/engaging. So, once again, if the new models are they only thing keeping someone from playing, then they probably have been bored with the game far longer than they realize. And please, get off that ignorant, assumption filled high horse of yours, and try not to fall on the way down...actually scratch that, falling would be preferred.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember making my very first WoW toon back in 2006, and honestly, I didn't care about the visuals at all. It looked unique, bright and cartoonish, and suited the game perfectly fine. I loved how smooth and elaborate the animations were and I've spent hours on my character, trying to discover them all. I loved the graphics, but I stayed for the gameplay and friends. However... over the years the game has changed, evolved, being constantly updated with new content, mechanics, bringing something new to it with every new patch. And so have the visuals. Maybe it wasn't that obvious throughout The Burning Crusade and The Wrath, but then Cataclysm happened and we saw what our toons could really do - I'm talking about goblins and worgen of course. It might be hard to realize at first, but most of the character models are nearing ten years old...

Do you remember literally thousands of people race-changing to goblins and worgen at the beginning of Cataclysm? You might remember the same thing happened last year, when pandaren were introduced. I don't think that all those people have spent their money just so they could 'have the edge in PvP' because some of the racial abilities looked more desirable. As for me, I've become rather attached to my character and I wouldn't want to race change her at all. In fact, I don't have any goblin, worgen or pandaren toons and I don't really want to make one. I like other races of Azeroth more and it makes me sad seeing the difference between the old and the new models and the people who are getting sold by this.

I'm glad that they have finally acknowledged the need of updating such an important part of the game as our very characters that we log in to play every day. I understand why they are so cautious about this and taking plenty of time to do this right. If they change them too much, people will complain about 'ruining their beloved toons', if they play safe and just update the polygon count and , people will still complain about 'doing a half-arsed job'. And either way, everyone and their mother will complain about how they'd better spend the resources on new content and such. What a tricky subject this is.

But frankly, it's not the time they are taking in order to do this, that bothers me. It's... the lack of developers' feedback on the subject. Admittedly, such a big and important change would potentially have a really large impact on the game's playerbase. Why isn't there any official inqueries on the subject over there on the official forums? Why don't they share any concept artwork or, at the very least, just their ideas about this? Why aren't they asking our opinion? They don't have to take -ALL- of it into account, but surely they could at least get the feeling of what the community prefers and maybe pick up some ideas for themselves?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noqr View Post
    Yes, how about they just whip up some new character models!

They have assloads of work to do, and that isn't a important project.
    This is a very, very, very poor argument. By your logic they'd never get anything done.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    The faster they release them for you the worse they'll be
    They are taking their time so that the result is as good as it can be, because they're things you'll be looking at for the entire game
    We're waiting since Wotlk, they sure are taking their sweet time.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    I don't understand what the big deal with new character models is. While I'd like to see new models, as long as the overall game is fun, I don't mind the 2004 level graphics that much. Gameplay to me is always better than grpahics.
    Ever had a look at some of the old models? Apparently not! Troll females don't even pink. Most of the races are merely slapped onto a wooden skeleton having hardly any kind of bones. Put them next to an Goblin or Pandaren and you'll understand. A Pandaren's beard has more polygons and movable objects then an entire orc has.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    We're waiting since Wotlk, they sure are taking their sweet time.
    Well they only confirmed that they were working on them in MoP so if you were expecting them since Wrath you've been a bit silly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    They are making the models from scratch, so yes, they will be making the animations all over again. They do wish to however, keep them somewhat similar, so the new model you receive doesn't look like some complete stranger to you. All of the iconic animations that a lot of people love, like the female undead flip attack, night elf flip jump and the like will probably stay even if made from scratch again.

I can definitely see male night elves getting a complete new casting animation though, their current one looks like they get migraine every time they attempt to cast a spell...

Hopefully they will update blood elves, and make the female one not so skinny (mostly so people can get off that already, doesn't go a single day without someone complaining about how skinny they are...) and make male blood elves more similar to the way they were in WC3.
    Blood Elves and Draenei don't need any updates, they're still new. And they both need to stay that skinny. Otherwise it would be just another human clone with long ears/horns.
    All vanilla male models need to get their arms and legs thinned by 75% at least.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
    No one cared that much until they said they had plans in the future to change them, lol.
    I cared for it when I saw how nice worgen and goblin were. Until the day I met a female worgen caster. That day, all hope, was lost like tears in the rain.

Blizzard did all this work to make the content of vanilla updated (barring raids). A huge task, but they forgot to do the models. Should've been part of Cataclysm.

As for draenei/blood belf they didn't touch TBC in Cata revamp. IMO they need updates but I understand they first go for the other ones or may skip this and save for later or never do these. I hope they'll do them too though.
    Last edited by mmoc41a7fbf474; 2013-01-14 at 07:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ace94 View Post
    I stopped playing WoW until they update the models which are a decade old by now. And my bet is that we won't even see them in MoP, rather in the next expansion as something "new" which should be out by now if they weren't scratching their ...

Anyone else that shares my opinion? Are Blizzard really that slow or a company which makes billions can't afford to get this needed change out for so long?
    Yea I would put 1 € that it will be main feature with new race in next expansion.
    Retired... but for how long? WAS DRAGGED TO THE LEGION HYPETRAIN!!!

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Vashiq/simple

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Blood Elves and Draenei don't need any updates, they're still new. And they both need to stay that skinny. Otherwise it would be just another human clone with long ears/horns.
    All vanilla male models need to get their arms and legs thinned by 75% at least.
    Blood Elves are hardly new, they are almost as old as the vanilla races. I really hope you're joking in the rest of your post...

They have to updated Blood Elves and Draenei too (though the changes will likely be less dramatic) because they want to update the animation skeletons to be as detailed as the Pandaren ones as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they do it for the next xpack atleast

id be fine if they did it 1 race at atime

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    They have to updated Blood Elves and Draenei too (though the changes will likely be less dramatic) because they want to update the animation skeletons to be as detailed as the Pandaren ones as well.
    OK fair enough but the sooner the better. I think Blizzard underestimates the importance of it. Your (and other) character you see all the time. The new Cata content only whilst leveling.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could be wrong, but I think with the new models comes the potential for far more customization options. Nearly every MMO since WoW has had something beyond just the 5 basic features to play with. I'm sure they not only want the models to look great, but also give people the ability to further tailor their character to their personal liking.

hopefully they will share more info on them at blizzcon (if not before then).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like Undead to have elbows and knees : /

Deleted
    To people saying hire more people. Do you think it would really make a difference if they had 10 people working on 1 model as opposed to only one? No it wouldn't. Heard the phrase To many cooks spoil the broth? It applies here, these things take time.

As well the new player models to make they have other models to make for new content/next expansion, these things take time.
    Also I don't understand why you'd play a game solely for the graphics, if they annoy you that much reroll Pandaren.

@OP I am sorry..am I getting this right...you quit playing the game, just cause the models were outdated?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    I really hope you're joking in the rest of your post...
    Are you refering to the comment about male models? I'm not joking about that.

15+ Year Old Account
    The option of custom models kept me going with Counter-Strike "back in the days". I did quit playing it, someone sent me a modelpack and I got hooked again. Therefore I see your point, would love that in WoW too but I hope they keep priority in other content as there are other more pressing issues that affect gameplay atm (will not list them as that might derail the thread by losing focus).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gir View Post
    @OP I am sorry..am I getting this right...you quit playing the game, just cause the models were outdated?
    Why not? Do people still play nintendo 64 games?