Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Asus ROG ARES II

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6561/a...-a-single-card

    Pretty insane card, love the factory fitted liquid cooling though.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  2. #2
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,191
    Silly Asus, constantly coming in with their super special cards at the end of the generations... Mars II = Late. Ares II = Late. Mars III? Where is it?

    Seriously, this isn't even a joke.
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

  3. #3
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    won't that thing have the TDP of something like 3 670's?
    also why not on a nvidia card QQ (and yes late allot)
    but i'd love to get my hands on such a custom card for the 7xx series. (i guess that will takes +- 2 years atleast till they make this kind of aftermarket monsters -_-)
    the liquid cooling combo i could see becoming a more plausible cooling solution provided straight from the factory. (saves the H60 modding and alike)

    also 1.5k is the likely price???? (collection item i understand, but performance wise i'd pick a 690 instead and pocket the remaining $600)

  4. #4
    I'm pretty sure a HD8970 will be out by the time the ARES II officially launches.

    It looks cool and all, but I still can't justify spending that much for such a premium, lol. I know it's limited edition and all, but still...

  5. #5
    I think asus doesnt believe in the 6xx series this time around. And who can blame them specwise.
    Although it would be much easier to just make a double 680.

    I guess part of this is also the publicity. Look at us, we made a dual 7970 and can proper cool it etc.
    And the main reason it is so "late", research. You just cant expect them to make a card like this 2 months after launch.

    As for the card it self, WOW :P If they can pull it off, kudos to asus

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    ofc double 680 is easier hence the 690's are there quite fast soon after release.
    7990 pretty much just tried the same but CF just works less effective compared to SLI still. (mircostutter says hi ^^)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I think asus doesnt believe in the 6xx series this time around. And who can blame them specwise.
    Although it would be much easier to just make a double 680.

    I guess part of this is also the publicity. Look at us, we made a dual 7970 and can proper cool it etc.
    And the main reason it is so "late", research. You just cant expect them to make a card like this 2 months after launch.

    As for the card it self, WOW :P If they can pull it off, kudos to asus
    The only issues there had been with the 6xx series is pricing and relative lack of distance in performance between some of the models, the cards are good.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  8. #8
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,191
    The PowerColor HD7990 Devil 13 has been out for MONTHS. It's practically the same thing, though clocked a little lower. lol.



    Also, I daresay it looks cooler.
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I think asus doesnt believe in the 6xx series this time around. And who can blame them specwise.
    Everyone. Are you seriously suggesting that the ATI range beats the 600 series?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalizari View Post
    Everyone. Are you seriously suggesting that the ATI range beats the 600 series?
    No im not. Im saying, specwise AMD beats Nvidia. Asus is a company that only takes the very best cards, and tries to make them better.
    Take a look at their matrix/platinum selection. They only pick one card, last generation it was the 580. This generation they picked the 7970GE. There isnt a 680 matrix, because asus thinks/believes the 680 is not worth it. Hence they arent making a MARS card, but an ARES card this generation. Also one could say the 7970GE is the fastest single GPU atm. Either way, ASUS put their money on AMD this generation and not Nvidia.

    I mean, what is giving you better rep (for at least this generation) putting two chips with a lower TDP on one PCB, or putting the two chips with higher TDP on one PCB?

  11. #11
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    No im not. Im saying, specwise AMD beats Nvidia. Asus is a company that only takes the very best cards, and tries to make them better.
    Take a look at their matrix/platinum selection. They only pick one card, last generation it was the 580. This generation they picked the 7970GE. There isnt a 680 matrix, because asus thinks/believes the 680 is not worth it. Hence they arent making a MARS card, but an ARES card this generation. Also one could say the 7970GE is the fastest single GPU atm. Either way, ASUS put their money on AMD this generation and not Nvidia.

    I mean, what is giving you better rep (for at least this generation) putting two chips with a lower TDP on one PCB, or putting the two chips with higher TDP on one PCB?
    i'd say 3/4 low TDP on a single pcb? (powah!)
    also don't asus just alternate between making mars/ares cards every generation?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalizari View Post
    Everyone. Are you seriously suggesting that the ATI range beats the 600 series?
    Beats? I personally wouldn't claim that. Are they knifing over the throne? Yes. But this particular topic has been done to death.

    Thing is, nVidia is apparently pretty shoddy in treating their manufacturers, from what I've gathered. This was the source for benchmarks from, what was it, tweaktown? Additionally, they have also imposed fairly arbitrary limitations apparently.

    1. Voltage control beyond specification was flat out removed, and some companies were apparently forced to hold off continuing their line of voltage unlocked cards.
    2. Apparently nVidia is having to approve all card designs before they can go to market. Ie nVidia may be the biggest perp for the absence of interesting cards from the generation if this claim is true.
    3. From what I've gathered there was also an arbitrary limitation, where manufacturers were flat out not allowed to produce cards that exceeded the GTX 690.
    4. It seems nVidia have been fairly liberally throwing threats of withholding selling their products to manufacturers if they don't bow to demands.

    Regardless of how many things are or aren't true about the stories, the moral seems to be that companies won't (or can't) offer any particularly special GTX 600 series cards.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    also don't asus just alternate between making mars/ares cards every generation?
    I think they just pick the most badass card out there. I guess so far it seems to be differ per generation.
    Mars 1 = 2x 285
    Ares 1 = 2x 5870
    Mars 2 = 2x 580
    Ares 2 = 2x 7970GE

    I guess the reason why they didnt pick the 480 is because of heat issues :P But it could be ye, we will see next generation.

  14. #14
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    i just hope the cooling solution will become mainstream ^^ (would really increases oc'ing potential/allot lower temps)
    i know it's possible to mod but for most cards that usually gives issues with the warranty iirc.

  15. #15
    To be fair, I don't want the cooling solution to become mainstream; I want the design theme to be more widely acknowledged in waterblock design! '-' When someone made a MARS II waterblock, it was the damn best looking waterblock to boot.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    i just hope the cooling solution will become mainstream ^^ (would really increases oc'ing potential/allot lower temps)
    i know it's possible to mod but for most cards that usually gives issues with the warranty iirc.
    On most of the modern cards it isn't really temperatures that limit overclocking, it is lack over overvolting or just reaching the limit of the chip.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  17. #17
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    To be fair, I don't want the cooling solution to become mainstream; I want the design theme to be more widely acknowledged in waterblock design! '-' When someone made a MARS II waterblock, it was the damn best looking waterblock to boot.
    http://rog.asus.com/65352012/news/l3...k-first-look/? (if so yes i agree that looks very slick indeed)
    AOI cooling for GPU's is still very usefull if it can be applied to sli due to air cooling being not optimal for that.

  18. #18

  19. #19
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    No im not. Im saying, specwise AMD beats Nvidia. Asus is a company that only takes the very best cards, and tries to make them better.
    Take a look at their matrix/platinum selection. They only pick one card, last generation it was the 580. This generation they picked the 7970GE. There isnt a 680 matrix, because asus thinks/believes the 680 is not worth it. Hence they arent making a MARS card, but an ARES card this generation. Also one could say the 7970GE is the fastest single GPU atm. Either way, ASUS put their money on AMD this generation and not Nvidia.

    I mean, what is giving you better rep (for at least this generation) putting two chips with a lower TDP on one PCB, or putting the two chips with higher TDP on one PCB?
    Hey guy, guess what?

    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...-ASUS-MARS-III

    Go on back to the whiteboard and try to understand an entire company via a few products, maybe you'll get it next time.
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Etc
    I hope this sees the light of day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •