Power Cycling Causes?

I've had my computer for a year or so and have now had problems with power cycling twice in its lifetime. The first time with a call to customer support from my gigabyte motherboard. We decided it was bad RAM. Only it just happened again and when trying to decipher the culprit my power supply sparked and smoked and is now fried. Could a bad power supply cause my computer to randomly power cycle?

I was using it just fine the night before this occurred and it has been about 5-6 months since my first cycling problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I cant really afford ~$100 USD for a new power-supply (although mines fried so buying one is unavoidable).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it can.

Why do you need a $100 PSU? What is your system?

I probably don't need one that expensive, I'm not using sli or overclocking anything. Is there a specific psu that you would recommend. I need my pc up and running ASAP for a few projects I'm working on so I would like to be able to pick it up at my local frys, etc.
    Thanks for the reply!

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't really recommend anything without knowing what you have
    What is your system?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I can't really recommend anything without knowing what you have
    Ya I was at work couldn't tell you exactly what I had

Gigabyte p67 mobo 1155 socket i5 processor
    8gb ddr3 1600
    1tb hdd

It's been awhile I don't remember exact speeds and such, and I can't find the paperwork at the moment. Is there anything you can get from that info?

Thanks again!

10+ Year Old Account
    Control Panel > System > (This will tell you CPU) > Device Manager > (This will till you video card)

Oh ya I could look that up easy if my computer was running. But after my psu fried I can't run my pc very well with no power.
    I have a 66o ti evga

I was looking at http://www.frys.com/product/7498185?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

After looking at eXtreme PSU calculator I think 500w should be enough what do you think.

10+ Year Old Account
    That'll definitely do it. Even a 450 would be alright. But $40 is about as cheap as you're gonna get in that range and still have a good quality PSU.

Cool gonna call tomorrow and try to pick one up thanks again.

New psu new ram at the same speed and still power cycles. any thoughts?

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 04:07 PM ----------

Reset the bios, up and running for now.

First make sure nothing is short-circuiting the motherboard, no dropped screws and no loose PCI backplates or anything.

Unplug everything from your motherboard except the power cables and processor (yes, RAM and graphics card too) and try if the computer stays on then or immediately shuts down again. If the power stays on something you unplugged is broken, if it still shuts down, motherboard (99% chance) or CPU is broken.

You can also do this to be sure the PSU is not dead again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.