View Poll Results: Why Do You Think European Countries Generally Dislike Immigrants?

Voters
292. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't think they generally dislike immigrants.

    76 26.03%
  • Public perception of immigrants is negative due to their crime rates.

    59 20.21%
  • Public perception of immigrants is negative due to culture

    40 13.70%
  • Public perception of immigrants is due to their lack of assimilation.

    89 30.48%
  • Other

    28 9.59%
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ...
9
17
18
19
20
21
LastLast
  1. #361
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    That's great and all, but something that still kinda baffles me is that we have these southern European countries that are culturally connected with North Africa and the Middle East, how come there are so bloody many of them coming to Scandinavia?
    Southern European countries culturally connected to North Africa and Middle East?! Sorry, do I live in the wrong Europe?

  2. #362
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Southern European countries culturally connected to North Africa and Middle East?! Sorry, do I live in the wrong Europe?
    I guess the southern part of Spain is. Maybe just a bit of Greece. Other than that, I'm not getting this either.

  3. #363
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Southern European countries culturally connected to North Africa and Middle East?! Sorry, do I live in the wrong Europe?
    I don't know where did he pull out Middle East from, but Italy France and Spain have plenty to share with North Africa.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 11:37 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I guess the southern part of Spain is. Maybe just a bit of Greece. Other than that, I'm not getting this either.
    South of Italy and south of France too, so yeah southern Europe really.

  4. #364
    In my country we've had 1 murder in the last 20 or so years. The killer was an islami immigrant.

  5. #365
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I don't know where did he pull out Middle East from, but Italy France and Spain have plenty to share with North Africa.
    I still don't understand how.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 12:44 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I guess the southern part of Spain is. Maybe just a bit of Greece. Other than that, I'm not getting this either.
    Sure, there's some influence in Spain because of the caliphate that was there, but I don't think Greece has any trace of Muslim culture. It's just that Orthodox culture is somewhere on the middle on the Christian-Islam scale. Bosnia is like the only country that has noticeable Islam influence left in it.

  6. #366
    Herald of the Titans TheEaterofSouls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    2,743
    Certian places like the US are put in a negative light by other countries. Rather than blame the accused, these countries take it out on the average citizen. They feel they are upholding their hatred or distent with a countries political or ethic system by being rude to the average tourist or immigrant resident. This is why you have places where people go "Stupid Americans!" or the like.

    It seems they judge the actions of higher power by blaming the people who have no control over how their country works. This is how i see it. :/

    (Don't believe everything you see on TV or the internet and decide to deny residential/tourism rights to innocent people willing to take time and money out of their lives to embrace another countries culture....It's sickeningly rude imo. We're all humans.)aka mild xenophobia
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2013-01-28 at 11:51 PM.

  7. #367
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    In my country we've had 1 murder in the last 20 or so years.
    I'm pretty sure that's false, unless you're from Monaco.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 06:47 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Sure, there's some influence in Spain because of the caliphate that was there, but I don't think Greece has any trace of Muslim culture. It's just that Orthodox culture is somewhere on the middle on the Christian-Islam scale. Bosnia is like the only country that has noticeable Islam influence left in it.
    For what it's worth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_i...lims_in_Greece

    I was mostly taking a shot in the dark that the Ottomans might have had some influence there.

  8. #368
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's false, unless you're from Monaco.
    Maybe he is camping out in the Vatican. Or Lichtenstein? Or Greenland.

  9. #369
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylphen View Post
    Because they're generally regarded as some of the most prosper nations in Europe, perhaps? If you were implying that they only/primarily go to Scandinavia, you'd be sorely mistaken. One of the largest groups of immigrants in France, for instance, comes from the former african colonies. And if you're referring to Mihalik's thorough exposé, the linguistic/cultural imprint of North african/Middle eastern cultures is not remotely significant enough to make a country like Spain (e.g.) a more desirable destination than Sweden (i.e. Catholicism vs Islam, Romance languages vs Semitic languages, etc).
    I don't understand though, do they get information all the way to Somalia about how some countries by the Arctic circle that no one has ever mentioned ever are somehow the paradise on earth? I'd be very skeptical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Southern European countries culturally connected to North Africa and Middle East?! Sorry, do I live in the wrong Europe?
    African colonies. Spain was quite Islamic some time ago. I'm honestly not too into how Islam has spread over the years, but that's how I understood it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Because we're only a couple of miles away?
    The distance between Malmö and Iraq is probably more than just a few miles.

    Also 2000th post, yay.
    Last edited by Tomatketchup; 2013-01-29 at 12:45 AM.
    I'm a European federalist. Now you know.


  10. #370
    Brewmaster Chry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,380
    Seems like a lot of Europeans who are pissed at the immigrant when they should be pissed at their immigrant laws.

  11. #371
    I honestly think it's all about the fact that they come to our house (Europe), not wiping their shoes on the doormat and then forcing their own ideas/belief upon us.
    I'm not sure if you all have seen the videos from the muslims guys walking around London, telling people it's "muslim territory" and that they need to leave it asap... Seriously? Someone comes from his sand-civilization country and then tries to kick off the genuine English people off their own land? You guys should do something about it, and do it QUICK. Not even talking about France or Scandinavian countries...Please, and I say again PLEASE, stand up for yourself before it's too late. There's no reason to give everything your culture stands for in, just because someone says you're "intolerant".
    In my country they say "Wolnoć Tomku w swoim domku", which means you're free to do whatever you like in your own home. It should apply to your country as well, seeing as it's your home.
    I'm definitely happy that my country is not immigrant-friendly, I'd rather have religous zealots coming from Christianity (mostly harmless), than muslims killing people on the streets, just because their "religion of peace" tells them so.
    I say cut the welfare, block the borders and cleanse your land. We don't need people from aborad if we organise ourselves better.

    Infracted: Please refrain from generalizing and stereotyping certain religions for the actions of a select few.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-01-29 at 01:02 AM.

  12. #372
    Quote Originally Posted by Valz. View Post
    I honestly think it's all about the fact that they come to our house (Europe), not wiping their shoes on the doormat and then forcing their own ideas/belief upon us.
    I'm not sure if you all have seen the videos from the muslims guys walking around London, telling people it's "muslim territory" and that they need to leave it asap... Seriously? Someone comes from his sand-civilization country and then tries to kick off the genuine English people off their own land? You guys should do something about it, and do it QUICK. Not even talking about France or Scandinavian countries...Please, and I say again PLEASE, stand up for yourself before it's too late. There's no reason to give everything your culture stands for in, just because someone says you're "intolerant".
    In my country they say "Wolnoć Tomku w swoim domku", which means you're free to do whatever you like in your own home. It should apply to your country as well, seeing as it's your home.
    I'm definitely happy that my country is not immigrant-friendly, I'd rather have religous zealots coming from Christianity (mostly harmless), than muslims killing people on the streets, just because their "religion of peace" tells them so.
    I say cut the welfare, block the borders and cleanse your land. We don't need people from aborad if we organise ourselves better.
    Are you honestly judging an entire religion based on one Youtube video with a wacko?
    I'm a European federalist. Now you know.


  13. #373
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I was mostly taking a shot in the dark that the Ottomans might have had some influence there.
    Yeah but the thing is that the Ottomans also had a lot of influence in Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia and some in Croatia (we were the last country they could never conquer), yet none of these countries show any traces of Muslim culture. I'd pretty much say it's got a lot to do with the nationalism that arose in the 18th and 19th century which, among other things, was heavily anti-Ottoman, i.e., it probably acted as a purge of any Muslim culture.

    One area that Turkish culture has affected this region in, though, is food. That's quite obvious to anyone living here. Kebabs, for example, were introduced into Europe across the conquered regions from the Turks and I'm given to understand it's extremely popular everywhere at this point. xD

    Oh, yeah, Albania is, along with Bosnia, one of the countries that was significantly affected by Muslim culture. But then again Muslim culture and Turkish culture are not really synonymous.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-01-29 at 01:03 AM.

  14. #374
    Quote Originally Posted by Valz. View Post
    I honestly think it's all about the fact that they come to our house (Europe), not wiping their shoes on the doormat and then forcing their own ideas/belief upon us.
    I'm not sure if you all have seen the videos from the muslims guys walking around London, telling people it's "muslim territory" and that they need to leave it asap... Seriously? Someone comes from his sand-civilization country and then tries to kick off the genuine English people off their own land? You guys should do something about it, and do it QUICK. Not even talking about France or Scandinavian countries...Please, and I say again PLEASE, stand up for yourself before it's too late. There's no reason to give everything your culture stands for in, just because someone says you're "intolerant".
    In my country they say "Wolnoć Tomku w swoim domku", which means you're free to do whatever you like in your own home. It should apply to your country as well, seeing as it's your home.
    I'm definitely happy that my country is not immigrant-friendly, I'd rather have religous zealots coming from Christianity (mostly harmless), than muslims killing people on the streets, just because their "religion of peace" tells them so.
    I say cut the welfare, block the borders and cleanse your land. We don't need people from aborad if we organise ourselves better.
    You see, if you go around the world abusing the resources of different countries far far away, you can't then stop the people of those country to come back and get their change.
    That's the problem with the UK and France, a lot of their immigration is colonial related.
    Oh and also, don't judge a whole bunch of people by two or three wackos. There's people that only want a better future for themselves. They'd have it a home, unfortunately their countries don't work due ALSO to outside interferences so.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 01:07 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Yeah but the thing is that the Ottomans also had a lot of influence in Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia and some in Croatia (we were the last country they could never conquer), yet none of these countries show any traces of Muslim culture. I'd pretty much say it's got a lot to do with the nationalism that arose in the 18th and 19th century which, among other things, was heavily anti-Ottoman, i.e., it probably acted as a purge of any Muslim culture.

    One area that Turkish culture has affected this region in, though, is food. That's quite obvious to anyone living here. Kebabs, for example, were introduced into Europe across the conquered regions from the Turks and I'm given to understand it's extremely popular everywhere at this point. xD

    Oh, yeah, Albania is, along with Bosnia, one of the countries that was significantly affected by Muslim culture. But then again Muslim culture and Turkish culture are not really synonymous.
    Hold on, influences doesnt only mean language similarities or, you know, Islamic communities.
    Also, the area you mentioned went through a lot of troubles in the last 40 years.
    Try looking at marseille, Malaga, the whole of Sicily.
    Also, I can't help but notice Croatia. Croatia has lots of "Venice" in it. Subsequently, Venice has quite a few architectural features imported from the other side of the Mediterranean.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 01:09 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Are you honestly judging an entire religion based on one Youtube video with a wacko?
    Yeh there's a lot of ignorance about Islam.
    I've been in turkey for a while and I have to say a moderate Islamic country has very little or no difference when compared to any moderate Christian country. AND a couple of plus as well I admit.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 01:16 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I don't understand though, do they get information all the way to Somalia about how some countries by the Arctic circle that no one has ever mentioned ever are somehow the paradise on earth? I'd be very skeptical.

    African colonies. Spain was quite Islamic some time ago. I'm honestly not too into how Islam has spread over the years, but that's how I understood it.

    The distance between Malmö and Iraq is probably more than just a few miles.

    Also 2000th post, yay.
    The distance between Malmo and London is just a few miles though, that's what I meant. Many immigrants bounce off other countries before ending up there id say.
    Last edited by Djalil; 2013-01-29 at 01:14 AM.

  15. #375
    Bloodsail Admiral Nathiest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,248
    Immigrants are fine it's illegal Immigrants that are an Global issue.
    this is my signature... jealous?

  16. #376
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    The distance between Malmo and London is just a few miles though, that's what I meant. Many immigrants bounce off other countries before ending up there id say.
    I never thought about that. Huh.

    I'm a European federalist. Now you know.


  17. #377
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Yeah but the thing is that the Ottomans also had a lot of influence in Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia and some in Croatia (we were the last country they could never conquer), yet none of these countries show any traces of Muslim culture. I'd pretty much say it's got a lot to do with the nationalism that arose in the 18th and 19th century which, among other things, was heavily anti-Ottoman, i.e., it probably acted as a purge of any Muslim culture.
    There was a strong segregation during the whole ottoman period. People lived in different villages and contact between them was minimal. Muslims "shared" their "culture" usually like this

    Why should we have respect for people who killed us for centuries anyway? They made us pay jizya because their Quran says 9.29 "Wage war on the people of scripture (jews and christians) until they humiliate themselves by paying the tax"

    We still use some turkish words and eat some turkish food, but that is about it. There never was any "mass scale happy melting pot".
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-01-29 at 08:58 AM.

  18. #378
    The Lightbringer Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,257
    This thread has once again revealed how little americans know of Europe.
    WBMA - Leave our beards alone

    Battletag - Whitey#2918 - feel free to add me, I'm a social animal


  19. #379
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    This thread has once again revealed how little americans know of Europe.
    Didn't know there was this myth of Europe being less open. I mean coming from a country that has vigilante groups shooting at people that come in...

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 10:10 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    There was a strong segregation during the whole ottoman period. People lived in different villages and contact between them was minimal. Muslims "shared" their "culture" usually like this

    Why should we have respect for people who killed us for centuries anyway? They made us pay jizya because their Quran says 9.29 "Wage war on the people of scripture (jews and christians) until they humiliate themselves by paying the tax"

    We still use some turkish words and eat some turkish food, but that is about it. There never was any "mass scale happy melting pot".
    Mass scale happy melting pot is just a lie anyway. Different cultures, different behaviours, different levels of education...
    "We're all the same" is just tree hugging bullshit from the past.

  20. #380
    Lack of assimilation and loud minority voices that tabloids oh so love to plaster everywhere.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •