View Poll Results: Why Do You Think European Countries Generally Dislike Immigrants?

Voters
292. This poll is closed
  • I don't think they generally dislike immigrants.

76 26.03%
  • Public perception of immigrants is negative due to their crime rates.

59 20.21%
  • Public perception of immigrants is negative due to culture

40 13.70%
  • Public perception of immigrants is due to their lack of assimilation.

89 30.48%
  • Other

28 9.59%
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I'd say it's Immigrants coming into the country, getting better houses chosen for them by the government, and basically given jobs that annoys me the most.

Meanwhile I have to sit on welfare I gain much LESS than the Immigrant because I cannot find a local job because they're all taken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret4resto View Post
    I think raciam/ignorance are partially to blame.

However I find it amusing that historically europeans never had an issue going into other countries/continents and destroying/oppressing the native population, but when other groups move into european countries europeans become mentally unstable, hypocritical and belligerent.
    Yes, the hypocrisy is astounding, but humans seem to typically not be very reasonable or rational creatures. Disappointing, really.

Deleted

However I find it amusing that historically europeans never had an issue going into other countries/continents and destroying/oppressing the native population, but when other groups move into european countries europeans become mentally unstable, hypocritical and belligerent.
    I find it more amusing that the countries that these europeans "destroyed/oppressed" hold all their decencies or modern outlooks on life on these Europeans.

Welfare, where immigrants get as much as people with regular jobs, by basically going to a language course a few times per week. People who can get in by their own means are fine.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2013-01-14 at 05:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    I'd say it's Immigrants coming into the country, getting better houses chosen for them by the government, and basically given jobs that annoys me the most.

Meanwhile I have to sit on welfare I gain much LESS than the Immigrant because I cannot find a local job because they're all taken.
    Is that the immigrant's fault or the government's fault? In the United States, you get what you work for, which is probably why Americans are generally happier than Europeans and far more immigrant-friendly. Perhaps the European nanny-state is the problem and you Europeans should work towards changing that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    The tone of your post suggested something along the lines of "immigrants are the largest problem in each European country," and so the rational-minded MC4l was naturally alarmed at this assertion and pleaded with you that you not be serious.
    I never suggested such thing. What I said was pretty clear: if an illegal immigrant manages to enter a schengen area country he will be able to move freely arond the EU.

Immigrants are largely used by politicians as a mean to distract people from more severe problems, but this doesn't change that illegal immigration is a problem, not the largest but still a problem.

I know there are problems with immigration in a lot of countries and that you will always have people who think they must "protect" themselves or their country against an almost insignificant problem. But how about immigration friendly politics an living along each other regardless where you're from? There is no pouring in and if so who cares? Maybe you should ask yourself why they are pouring in and not defense yourself but help them making their own country a better place.

Is that the immigrant's fault or the government's fault? In the United States, you get what you work for, which is probably why Americans are generally happier than Europeans and far more immigrant-friendly. Perhaps the European nanny-state is the problem and you Europeans should work towards changing that.
    The problem is that it's becoming a "nanny-state" for immigrants, but not its own citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alakir the Windlord View Post
    I never suggested such thing. What I said was pretty clear: if an illegal immigrant manages to enter a schengen area country he will be able to move freely arond the EU.

Immigrants are largely used by politicians as a mean to distract people from more severe problems, but this doesn't change that illegal immigration is a problem, not the largest but still a problem.
    Oh, I realize that that was not what you said, but it's the tone of your post that suggested it along with some awkward wording. You are correct, though, in that illegal immigration is a problem. This thread is geared towards legal immigration more than illegal immigration, however.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 06:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    The problem is that it's becoming a "nanny-state" for immigrants, but not its own citizens.
    That's the fault of the government still, not the immigrant.

That seems to be an overly cynical view of things in my opinion. Immigrants get along with non-immigrants perfectly fine in countries like the United States and Canada, so why not in Europe? That's what I'm wondering.
    Because Canada and United States do not have a culture of their own - they are a melting pot of other cultures. European countries, on the other hand, have developed for several thousand years with a well-defined sense of self. Intrusions by immigrants into that culture (especially these days, with people generally unwilling to integrate into the new culture fully, and having the means to avoid doing so) are perceived as far more offensive than in USA / Canada

Let's say some guy is looking for a place to live, they (government) see your property and decide to split it in half, giving the other part to said guy. The guy is obviously happy to accept it. Would you only resent the government and get along with the guy?

(This example might be a bit extreme, but in essence it's the same)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Let's say some guy is looking for a place to live, they (government) see your property and decide to split it in half, giving the other part to said guy. The guy is obviously happy to accept it. Would you only resent the government and get along with the guy?

(This example might be a bit extreme, but in essence it's the same)
    Um, yes, I would most definitely only resent the government since it would all be their fault. The said guy is only doing what is mandated for him.

Deleted
    Oh, I realize that that was not what you said, but it's the tone of your post that suggested it along with some awkward wording. You are correct, though, in that illegal immigration is a problem. This thread is geared towards legal immigration more than illegal immigration, however.
    http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article10511566.ab
    Fredsförhandlare: Norge bör stänga gränserna
    Flyktingar så dåligt mottagna att asylstopp bör införas, anser Petter Skauen
    Flyktingar blir så dåligt mottagna i Norge att vi måste överväga om det är försvarligt att låta dem komma hit, anser fredsförhandlaren Petter Skauen.

– Den dåliga integreringen är på väg att göra rasister av folk som egentligen inte är främlingsfientliga, säger Skauen till tidningen Vårt Land.

Stängda gränser under en kort period kan vara en riktig åtgärd tills vi kan ge dem som kommer ett bättre mottagande, anser Skauen.
    För inte medhåll

Morten Tjessem, generalsekreterare i Norsk Organisasjon for Asylsökere (NOAS), avvisar Skauens förslag. Lösningen på dålig behandling är inte att stänga gränserna.

Petter Skauen deltog bland annat i fredsförhandlingarna i Guatemala under 90-talet när han arbetade för Kyrkans nödhjälp.
    Translation, if poor but still understandable:

Peace Negotiator: Norway should close the borders
    Refugees so poorly received that the asylum state should be, consider Petter Skauen
    Refugees are so poorly received in Norway, that we must consider whether it is justifiable to let them come here, thinks peace negotiator Petter Skauen.

- The horrible integration is turning people who were not racists, into racists, Says Skauen to the newspaper "Vårt Land"("Our country").

Skauen believes closed borders under a short period of time can be an approriate action until we can give those who come a better reception.

Not backed up

Morten Tjessem, secretary general of the Norwegian organization for immigrants, rejects Skauens proposal. The solution to bad reception is not to close the borders.

Petter Skauen participated in the peace negotations in Guatemala in the 90s when he was working for the churchs relief.
    http://translate.google.se/translate...9.html&act=url
    Last edited by mmoc506e44f6eb; 2013-01-14 at 06:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i guess it has to do with old nationalism and well... most of those populations through out their history have been homogeneous

Every country dislikes immigrants. It's human nature. We don't like outsiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post

That was a barely understandable translation and I question its relevance to the thread.

Deleted
    That was a barely understandable translation and I question its relevance to the thread.
    The relevance is that they do not believe they can be integrated properly at the time. People have been disillusioned due to the cultural differences and the clashes it brings.

Deleted
    Knew this was a thinly-veiled attack on Europe. "If it aint like 'murica it must be broke!"

You can't call them hypocrites on that, they're not the europeans who did those things. It was the people from the... you know... past.

Deleted
    snip
    Here are a few pointers to this discussion:

- Let's look at the US / Mexican border. The only borders that are better protected are the Israeli ones or North/South Korea. Drones and walls? Come on ...

- Compared to the the European Union (free travel and working). One of the big reasons why Switzerland will probably never join btw.

- From my visits to both continents I can fairly say that there is much more muslim hate/bashing going on in the US as compared to Germany/France. At least openly.

- Greece is pretty much bankrupt and bankrupt people riot. Also they by far hate Germans/French people the most atm and not immigrants.

- The treatment of african refugees crossing the middle sea into italy is a problem and so is human trafficking from other eastern european countries. However in that department europe does not seem any different than the US. The driving forces are wealth and distance. The US has the same problem with south america and certain parts of asia.

In the end the way I preceive Europe it is way more open towards immigrants (in the 21st century as you put it) than the US (part of it being more liberal in general) and has a WAY less issues with illegal immigration due to laws reflecting that.

But yeah in every country there are idiots who look for scapegoats and immigrants are an easy target. That has always been this way.

Edit:
    Just read some of the other replies of the OP and I'm pretty certain this is a troll / bait thread. I'm out.
    Last edited by mmocb100f50513; 2013-01-14 at 07:03 AM.