Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornh View Post
    I've seldom seen such an incredibly unnecessary post. 100% atheist propaganda, too.
    Please take action on this bullshit post.

Warning: Please use the report post function in the future.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-01-15 at 12:25 AM.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    The universe has just been changed, because I'm typing this message that did not exist before.
    That's basically the definition of insignificant - too small to be worth of any note. It doesn't mean that you have 0 effect, it means you have a negligible effect.

We might be insignificant beyond our planet, but here we are significant enough. With just slight changes we can really turn out peoples lives. For example, imagine not taken that day off from work or vice versa, or nothing marrying that girl or vice versa. Point being, we are not that insignificant. On cosmic scale, probably but here on Earth it is a totally different.
    Even on Earth, the ripples from your actions will hardly affect more than 100-200 people. Unless you're in a field where your actions have a much broader reach (government, politics, engineering, law, science, war). Your average Joe Shmoe from Papa Johns who lives his life being a person of little note is about as insignificant as anything gets.

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    But your posts, this website, Garfield, and everything else in the world is insignificant. You may have an effect on your massage therapist but that still doesn't make either of you significant. And your resistance of this fact shows just how insignificant you are, and how desperately you are searching for significance.
    Ummm... the only one who's desperate here is you, my friend. ^_^

I know my place in history. It may be small - but I know I have my part. What infuriates you is that you know I'm right. ^_^

As I said... shockwaves can be felt around the smallest of maneuvers.

Even you attempting to convince others they're insignificant has ripples down the way - which, of course, I'm sure is your intentional goal.

Just because you declare it "insignificant" doesn't mean it is... unless you're God, and even then I'll tell you to shove off if God told me that - which would be a VERY significant thing to do indeed! ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    Please take action on this bullshit post.
    If it said "100% [insert religion here] it would of already had been removed.
    -K

we are the universe that has begun to wonder about itself.

each and every person helps to further that quest for knowledge, and nothing you do is ever truly forgotten.

we are living in the briefest instant in time where the universe is even capable of making stars let alone planets and life.

we are part of the greatest thing in the whole universe, life.

we are as far from insignificant as can be imagined by our minds or by any minds.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Ummm... the only one who's desperate here is you, my friend. ^_^

I know my place in history. It may be small - but I know I have my part. What infuriates you is that you know I'm right. ^_^

As I said... shockwaves can be felt around the smallest of maneuvers.

Even you attempting to convince others they're insignificant has ripples down the way - which, of course, I'm sure is your intentional goal.

Just because you declare it "insignificant" doesn't mean it is... unless you're God, and even then I'll tell you to shove off if God told me that - which would be a VERY significant thing to do indeed! ^_^
    Stop being so darn likeable and pleasant!

Your posts need more angry, ranting, raving, typical MMO-C frothing-at-the-mouth.

I disagree with you completely but find it very difficult to debate you.

I'm actually the most important being in the universe though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I'm actually the most important being in the universe though
    It's true you know, /bow

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Even on Earth, the ripples from your actions will hardly affect more than 100-200 people. Unless you're in a field where your actions have a much broader reach (government, politics, engineering, law, science, war). Your average Joe Shmoe from Papa Johns who lives his life being a person of little note is about as insignificant as anything gets.
    If you really want to get into this, what significance is the 99.99999999999999% of the universe to me or even the other .00000000000001% of the universe? What effect does that portion of the universe, all those other galaxies have on this one? Therefore, the universe itself is insignificant.

Everything. Everything. Is significant to something while being insignificant to something else. That "average Joe Shmoe from Papa Johns" is certainly significant to any family and friends, even if he is insignificant to politics or society at large let alone the universe itself.

I'm not even really sure why you consider this something to bother discussing, I'm pretty sure most people realize that we as a person have no great effect on the cosmos, it's just that, and follow me on this, we don't give a fuck about changing the cosmos. And why should we? As I said, the majority of the universe is entirely insignificant to us, so why bother?
    Last edited by Xenofreak; 2013-01-15 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
    If you really want to get into this, what significance is the 99.99999999999999% of the universe to me or even the other .00000000000001% of the universe? What effect does that portion of the universe, all those other galaxies have on this one? Therefore, the universe itself is insignificant.

Everything. Everything. Is significant to something while being insignificant to something else. That "average Joe Shmoe from Papa Johns" is certainly significant to any family and friends, even if he is insignificant to politics or society at large let alone the universe itself.

I'm not even really sure why you consider this something to bother discussing, I'm pretty sure most people realize that we as a person have no great effect on the cosmos, it's just that, and follow me on this, we don't give a fuck about changing the cosmos. And why should we? As I said, the majority of the universe is entirely insignificant to us, so why bother?
    I won't argue with the fact that anyone can be significant to a very small subset of the world (e.g. yourself, for instance), but that seems hardly worth arguing over. If you read the thread, there are quite a few people writing exactly what you said they shouldn't be - e.g. "that we as people have great effect on the cosmos".

10+ Year Old Account
    The truth of the matter is, I am the only person who exists. I am god and I am the universe. The rest of you are philosophical zombies - constructs of my mind who exist only because I allow it, and will end when I demand it.
    So to your mind, we're all rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh and we touch your mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding?

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 08:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Not sure why you replied to my explanation of how this *could* be considered atheist propaganda with your viewpoint on individual significance, but anyway, it just shows how badly this topic is hinged on subjective perspective and semantics.

And if you're not comfortable with a topic getting "dangerously" close to religious, close your browser tab
    I'm not uncomfortable with it. The mods and the MMO-C rules are.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Your existence is insignificant. You are a here for a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of time. You are highly insignificant in the world, and the world is insignificant in the galaxy, and the galaxy is insignificant in the universe. The Earth is tiny and is only here for a fraction of time, a blink of an eye in the larger scheme of things. You will be completely forgotten and so will any memory of you. Nothing you ever say, do, or think will ever matter in any way, shape, or form, and neither will it last in any way.

You are completely and totally insignificant.

in·sig·nif·i·cant
    /ˌinsigˈnifikənt/
    Adjective
    Too small or unimportant to be worth consideration.
    (of a person) Without power or influence.
    Synonyms
    trifling - trivial - negligible - unimportant - petty

A graphical representation of your insignificance:
    -http://workshop.chromeexperiments.com/stars (Chrome Only)
    -http://scaleofuniverse.com

on a galactic scale yes but so are you lol !

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    So to your mind, we're all rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh and we touch your mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding?
    I transcend your very understanding. I am the universe - independent, free of all weakness. You cannot grasp the nature of my existence.

I won't argue with the fact that anyone can be significant to a very small subset of the world (e.g. yourself, for instance), but that seems hardly worth arguing over. If you read the thread, there are quite a few people writing exactly what you said they shouldn't be - e.g. "that we as people have great effect on the cosmos".
    Most of those that say it straight out that they themselves have an effect on it have been sarcastic replies. Some have mentioned humans as a race potentially being significant to the universe, and used cause and effect and chaos theory type logic to imply that even the smallest part still plays a part in the grand scheme of things due to how differently things can end up because of the change of the tiniest factor. Overall, nothing too crazy, illogical, or unreasonable about it.

You on the other hand... Between

The truth of the matter is, I am the only person who exists. I am god and I am the universe. The rest of you are philosophical zombies - constructs of my mind who exist only because I allow it, and will end when I demand it.
    And

I transcend your very understanding. I am the universe - independent, free of all weakness. You cannot grasp the nature of my existence.
    Have been talking crazy shit.

Well, obviously this has never occurred to me before.. In the grand scheme yes, majority of us are insignificant to most myself included but, I am significant to a few and in my personal little world that is enough. My memory will fade as well as those I love but we'll no longer be here to care or notice.
    Last edited by K i s u; 2013-01-15 at 01:56 AM.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
    Have been talking crazy shit.
    That which you know as Ashnazg is your salvation through destruction.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    I beg to differ. One man can change the world.
    That doesn't count for much when the world doesn't matter, either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    That doesn't count for much when the world doesn't matter, either.
    Nothing matters except this moment.

(that sounded wiser in my head)

10+ Year Old Account
    This subject is something I grappled with last year, and I came to an answer that I find to be not only satisfactory, but fulfilling. Yeah, in the grand scheme of things I don't matter. Nothing does. Now that I've understood that, everything I do becomes subjective and I rationalize why I do what I do. I act in order to make me happy. Well, maybe not always happy, but I act with a goal in mind directly tied to myself, and I justify my altruism through that. I help people despite the fact that nothing matters because nothing matters. I decide what matters, at least for myself. Nihilism is a wonderful thing once one realizes that it opens up so much more than the expected "why do anything, nothing matters" mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    You really shouldn't care, even if it is true. Doing so will just depress you. Best to live life in the present.

There is a small fraction of a chance you will be someone important enough to be remembered for a loooooooooooooong time at least. Like Gilgamesh of Caesar.
    And even then, only within our own civilisation on our own planet which is just a speck in the galaxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.