Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
... LastLast
  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    I won't argue with the fact that anyone can be significant to a very small subset of the world (e.g. yourself, for instance), but that seems hardly worth arguing over. If you read the thread, there are quite a few people writing exactly what you said they shouldn't be - e.g. "that we as people have great effect on the cosmos".
    Most of those that say it straight out that they themselves have an effect on it have been sarcastic replies. Some have mentioned humans as a race potentially being significant to the universe, and used cause and effect and chaos theory type logic to imply that even the smallest part still plays a part in the grand scheme of things due to how differently things can end up because of the change of the tiniest factor. Overall, nothing too crazy, illogical, or unreasonable about it.

    You on the other hand... Between

    The truth of the matter is, I am the only person who exists. I am god and I am the universe. The rest of you are philosophical zombies - constructs of my mind who exist only because I allow it, and will end when I demand it.
    And

    I transcend your very understanding. I am the universe - independent, free of all weakness. You cannot grasp the nature of my existence.
    Have been talking crazy shit.

  2. #202
    Well, obviously this has never occurred to me before.. In the grand scheme yes, majority of us are insignificant to most myself included but, I am significant to a few and in my personal little world that is enough. My memory will fade as well as those I love but we'll no longer be here to care or notice.
    Last edited by K i s u; 2013-01-15 at 01:56 AM.
    subscribed
    Kibblet Infectionate Serenades Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Taxiporte Restofarian Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Shoctologist Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

  3. #203
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
    Have been talking crazy shit.
    That which you know as Ashnazg is your salvation through destruction.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  4. #204
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    I beg to differ. One man can change the world.
    That doesn't count for much when the world doesn't matter, either.

  5. #205
    Scarab Lord Arkenaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    That doesn't count for much when the world doesn't matter, either.
    Nothing matters except this moment.

    (that sounded wiser in my head)

  6. #206
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    This subject is something I grappled with last year, and I came to an answer that I find to be not only satisfactory, but fulfilling. Yeah, in the grand scheme of things I don't matter. Nothing does. Now that I've understood that, everything I do becomes subjective and I rationalize why I do what I do. I act in order to make me happy. Well, maybe not always happy, but I act with a goal in mind directly tied to myself, and I justify my altruism through that. I help people despite the fact that nothing matters because nothing matters. I decide what matters, at least for myself. Nihilism is a wonderful thing once one realizes that it opens up so much more than the expected "why do anything, nothing matters" mentality.

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    You really shouldn't care, even if it is true. Doing so will just depress you. Best to live life in the present.

    There is a small fraction of a chance you will be someone important enough to be remembered for a loooooooooooooong time at least. Like Gilgamesh of Caesar.
    And even then, only within our own civilisation on our own planet which is just a speck in the galaxy.

  8. #208
    Bloodsail Admiral sugarlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sunny South Carolina
    Posts
    1,100
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Your existence is insignificant. You are a here for a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of time. You are highly insignificant in the world, and the world is insignificant in the galaxy, and the galaxy is insignificant in the universe. The Earth is tiny and is only here for a fraction of time, a blink of an eye in the larger scheme of things. You will be completely forgotten and so will any memory of you. Nothing you ever say, do, or think will ever matter in any way, shape, or form, and neither will it last in any way.

    You are completely and totally insignificant.

    in·sig·nif·i·cant
    /ˌinsigˈnifikənt/
    Adjective
    Too small or unimportant to be worth consideration.
    (of a person) Without power or influence.
    Synonyms
    trifling - trivial - negligible - unimportant - petty

    A graphical representation of your insignificance:
    -http://workshop.chromeexperiments.com/stars (Chrome Only)
    -http://scaleofuniverse.com
    no u
    /10chars :P



    seriously, I feel bad for you if that is how you feel upon waking everyday. *comfort *hugs

    EDIT~ I remember trying to convince you not to commit suicide last year through a bunch of PM's that I poured my heart into for you. I still feel you could do with counseling or talking to someone professional. I wish you the best <3
    Last edited by sugarlily; 2013-01-15 at 03:16 AM.

  9. #209
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Behind your Bakaneko.
    Posts
    1,517
    Okay... so what? Life is pretty much meaningless as it is, but why does that even matter? Not everything is going to have an answer or even be relevant if you take things to an absolute extreme. So what if we don't make an impact on the universe as a whole because no one will be around to witness and process the event when everything ends. Until that point occurs, things we do are significant, whether it affects one person or the planet itself. It's all relative.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 09:16 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Not really, it's being realistic.
    Not really, its setting yourself up to live a depressing life based on absolutes that you shouldn't bother to worry about excessively unless you want to go insane. You waste your life away worrying about everything we know can end at any given moment for any given reason therefore we should do nothing because our lives are meaningless. Meaningless to what, exactly? Something can't have meaning unless there is someone to witness a cause and effect in something.

  10. #210
    Damn, what a buzz kill this thread is. I'm gonna go /wrists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Man, there really should have been an Xzibit cameo in Inception.

  11. #211
    Over 9000! Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    9,158
    Significance is what you make it.

    /thread
    "Do not look down, my friend. Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope... Hope for a better day, hope for a new dawn... Or just hope for a good breakfast. You start small, then see what you can get." ~ Covetous Shen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  12. #212
    Ty for letting me know?
    Sig done by ElyPop

  13. #213
    Herald of the Titans Bryntrollian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Outside Black Gate of Mordor...
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    who said that? Time or humanity? :P

    O.T: We all know that, but we're not insignifcant to the world... we may be, but we can also make a big difference.

    Note: Just worldwide..., for anything else we're insignificant
    The deathwing....
    Synek - best rogue in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I don't think I know what the acronym "tsg" is. It's not RBG's or Arena, random battlegrounds, or any form of dungeon or raid that I can think of. What does it mean?

  14. #214
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    Damn, what a buzz kill this thread is. I'm gonna go /wrists.
    But it doesn't have to be! I just explained why our insignificance allows for us to live more enriching life that derives importance from what we find to be meaningful.

  15. #215
    Moderator Anakso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    4,680
    I see where you're coming from but I disagree with two of your premises.

    In comparison to the entirety of space and time, every single person who has ever lived and ever will live can be considered insignificant, and so can every single object/structure even the largest galaxy in the universe could be considered insignificant when considering the entirety of time and space, but our lives are so tiny compared to that, that we shouldn't be comparing what we do to all of time and space. Think smaller and you'll find we can be significant even if it's just to your own house hold and children.

    The other line I disagree with partially is this "and neither will it last in any way."
    Now for me, you're absolutely correct, and the same is true for almost everybody. But tell that to Einstein. As long as humanity lasts so to will Einstein name and theory. Now that might not make a difference to the other side of the universe but to humanity, that's a pretty big thing.

  16. #216
    Warchief gutnbrg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Mageland
    Posts
    2,201
    I have a significant other...

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    I have a significant other...
    Maybe, but does your significant other?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

  18. #218
    Over 9000! Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    9,158
    If life is insignificant, then pretending it isn't insignificant is insignificant.

    So why pretend it's insignificant? It's a self-defeating view of the universe.
    "Do not look down, my friend. Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope... Hope for a better day, hope for a new dawn... Or just hope for a good breakfast. You start small, then see what you can get." ~ Covetous Shen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  19. #219
    Herald of the Titans Theodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,834
    The universe as a whole; speaking about it as if it's alive and we're just a tiny part of its plan. Peoples lives spoken about as if there is some single goal we all strive to reach as a species. The whole "We are insignificant" is just a viewpoint, like any other, that the viewer creates for himself. The Universe isn't alive and we aren't part of a plan, and our lives are as significant as those who are a part of them consider it to be.

    Any individual when compared to all of existence is going to be insignificant, but the universe isn't capable of conscious thought and therefore cannot know this. The only beings we know of that can truly attach the value of significance to others is us humans, and so we are as significant as our fellow humans see us.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

  20. #220
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,446
    On a cosmic scale? Maybe. Too my friends and family? Not at all.

    Perspective. Learn it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •