Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
LastLast
  1. #261
    Oh noes I thought I was going to make an imprint on the universe with a new look on Quantum mechanics that would change the lives of every single human being, we would discover space travel, learn the secret to eternal life, cure hunger and stop war but after reading that I can't be arsed.

    I can feel it washing away...

    tick/tock . tick/tock . tick/tock

    gone..

    crap >.<

  2. #262
    I am for one relieved being insignificant as it makes anything we do significant from our point of view in this insignificant existence.
    "A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my ANGER"

  3. #263
    Epic! -Skye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, UK.
    Posts
    1,675
    I'm insignificant, okay. But I'm going to have a fucking hell of a time as I slowly die :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    Nah, I disagree with your elitist mentality.
    Tier gear should be available during the leveling process. I don't want to have to mingle with these eltitist jerks in LFR to get gear as it is. I pay a sub fee, I shouldn't have to do LFR to get raid gear, much less Flex or Normal.

  4. #264
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    How does it feel to live your life in black and white only?

    "If you think you are significant you love yourself, if you think you are insignificant you hate yourself." What is this pile of nonsense?
    How does it feel like putting words into other people's mouths? I never said that, you're still pulling your conclusions from nowhere.

  5. #265
    The Lightbringer slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA PA
    Posts
    3,605
    OP could be right (most likely). Or being the insignificant humam being that he is he cannot possibly even begin to understand our role in the universe.

    Until we have any other proof - the entire universe was created just for us, and is necessary just to have one single, solitary, insignificant tiny planet sustain life.

  6. #266
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    You are completely and totally insignificant
    Sad that some people can't live their lives in reality but instead have to make an illusion about their importance in this universe.

  7. #267
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkele View Post
    Sad that some people can't live their lives in reality but instead have to make an illusion about their importance in this universe.
    Still people aren't making any kinds of megalomaniac claims, they're just saying they're content with the state of things. It's that simple.

  8. #268
    You could justify anything by saying it's insignificant.

    The recent school shootings are insignificant and do not matter in the grand scheme of things. Why care about them?

    Moral corruption at best.

  9. #269
    Stood in the Fire Seiken3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    404
    Allow me to counter:

    Yes, we might be very insignificant in the larger picture. However, none of us can really do anything with the larger picture. That's why we keep ourselves to our "inner circles". Friends, family and those kind of "circles" To them, we're very significant. And that's what matters. I know that I am insignificant to some guy in America, but so is he to me! Being insignificant to the universe is NOTHING when I can be of significance to those who are significant to me<3
    Love without pain isn't really romance.

  10. #270
    Scarab Lord Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Medellín, Colombia
    Posts
    4,699
    Relatively speaking, yes, against all of timespace, humanity is just a very small thing.
    Against society as a whole, we as individuals, well, not so much. One man can do enough if he is lucky, and can change civilizations.
    Everything is relative, I guess?
    We are the mary sues on all our myths, religions and histories. But what is the point to significance? So what if we don't outlive a star, is there a point to doing so?

    We are both nothing and everything, just changes depending your perspective, and your ideals. Is there any point caring about what happened before or after your existence? YOU are all you have, you alone are the one to judge.
    pro-gun liberal

  11. #271
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    You could justify anything by saying it's insignificant.

    The recent school shootings are insignificant and do not matter in the grand scheme of things. Why care about them?

    Moral corruption at best.
    Everything being insignificant opens up the ability for us to define what is significant. It doesn't have to lead to "moral corruption," which by itself is an odd term given moral relativity.

  12. #272
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Everything being insignificant opens up the ability for us to define what is significant. It doesn't have to lead to "moral corruption," which by itself is an odd term given moral relativity.
    He didn't said that, he clearly talked about sticking to such nihilism.

  13. #273
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Your existence is insignificant. You are a here for a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of time. You are highly insignificant in the world, and the world is insignificant in the galaxy, and the galaxy is insignificant in the universe. The Earth is tiny and is only here for a fraction of time, a blink of an eye in the larger scheme of things. You will be completely forgotten and so will any memory of you. Nothing you ever say, do, or think will ever matter in any way, shape, or form, and neither will it last in any way.

    You are completely and totally insignificant.
    I get your point, but you're really negative.

    You could also say that each person, each world, each galaxy is unique. Because there is none exactly like it. That's a positive attitude.
    Do we matter? That's a matter of perspective. To yourself: yes. To other human beings: probably. To the universe: no. But the universe isn't a person, so who cares?

  14. #274
    The Lightbringer Celltrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    3,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasami View Post
    Still people aren't making any kinds of megalomaniac claims, they're just saying they're content with the state of things. It's that simple.
    No, they're saying that they're significant. In fact, some people around here believe that they are more significant than the entire universe because they live. How delusional can one get?

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 06:08 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    You could justify anything by saying it's insignificant.

    The recent school shootings are insignificant and do not matter in the grand scheme of things. Why care about them?

    Moral corruption at best.
    And this is why this way of thinking shouldn't be left in the hands of the stupid. They end up using them as an excuse to commit crimes. It's the same thing as fanatically religious people telling others that they have no morals, because they have no fear of God, and because they have no fear of God they can commit crimes since they get away with it.

    Way to miss the point.


    Nobody told you that you shouldn't care, especially when you already have built-in empathy. It's just an observation. The reason why you don't kill people is because you acknowledge that they want to live, because YOU know how it is to want to live yourself. This is what empathy is, and nihilism does not affect it in any way, shape or form.
    Last edited by Celltrex; 2013-01-16 at 06:13 PM.

  15. #275
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    No, they're saying that they're significant. In fact, some people around here believe that they are more significant than the entire universe because they live. How delusional can one get?
    Now you're just twisting. Noone, I mean NOONE, has said they're significant in relation to the whole universe.

  16. #276
    The Lightbringer Celltrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    3,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasami View Post
    Now you're just twisting. Noone, I mean NOONE, has said they're significant in relation to the whole universe.
    Did you read the whole thread?

  17. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    Did you read the whole thread?
    As a matter of fact I did. You're seeing implications in places where there aren't any.

  18. #278
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    But if I can destroy the universe, then I win >=3
    ^^^ this pretty much

  19. #279
    The Lightbringer Celltrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    3,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasami View Post
    As a matter of fact I did. You're seeing implications in places where there aren't any.
    This is a quote from this thread.

    WE are the most significant thing in existence. planets dont decide anything, we arent insignificant because we're smaller than them. They dont have a mind, they cant say we're small.

    We are the MOST significant thing in existence, for the simple fact that we can say that.
    As a matter of fact, you didn't. It's from the second page as well

  20. #280
    Well, I'm depressed now.




    Oh wait, I have a cookie! <( '.' < ) \( '.' )/ ( > '.' )>


    Currently playing World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, and the Mass Effect trilogy. Not at the same time, of course. I'm not an octopus.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •