Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    I beg to differ. One man can change the world.
    Then you fail to understand the point of this thread. Changing this world doesn't mean anything in relation to the grand scheme of things.
    My Warrior
    Arms Proving Grounds Guide
    When you walk among the Black Forest...you will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I know you are, but what am I?
    I love reading a thread that makes me ponder a serious answer, getting to the end and getting ready to type said answer, and then finding a post that makes me laugh and realize this is not srs bzns after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    I love reading a thread that makes me ponder a serious answer, getting to the end and getting ready to type said answer, and then finding a post that makes me laugh and realize this is not srs bzns after all.
    lol I couldn't help myself. It really is a great question to think about though, ones place in the universe. I just happen to much prefer Neil deGrasse Tyson's version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    If you believe that you are insignificant and nothing you do matters why make a post that seems designed to have a significant point of making people understand they are insignificant? And if one person changes because of this then what you have said/done matters to them on a personal level.
    Yeah, how insignificant is it telling people that they are insignificant? Does the OP often try to convince children that they are children?

Now if we are using permanence to determine significance then everything is insignificant.
    If everything is insignificant, it's all equaly significant. Pointing out humans, or what ever, being insignificant, implies that there is something that is significant. What is more significant than your own life?

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 05:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Then you fail to understand the point of this thread. Changing this world doesn't mean anything in relation to the grand scheme of things.
    Relation to what grand scheme of things? Do you mean insignificant scheme of things?
    Go Hawks!!!!

Meh. Pretty sure I saw this circulating on tumblr last week.

Edit: And to add something of substance, in the cosmic scale of the universe yes I can see how we're all insignificant. I would argue, however, that our impact on our immediate environments (our homes, our jobs) is significant. Memory of us will fade over time, that is the way of things I suppose, but that doesn't mean we can't be significant while we exist.
    Last edited by Talokami; 2013-01-14 at 05:26 PM.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    The truth of the matter is, I am the only person who exists. I am god and I am the universe. The rest of you are philosophical zombies - constructs of my mind who exist only because I allow it, and will end when I demand it.
    The real truth of the matter is that you're a Reaper, and next you're going to be talking about you impose order on organic evolution and that there's only the harvest. I see through your fog.
    Look at these eyebrows! They're attack eyebrows. You could take bottle tops off with these. They’re cross. Crosser than the rest of my face. They’re independently cross. They probably want to cede from the rest of my face and set up their own independent state of eyebrows.

But... but... My Mummy said I was speshew! :'(

Rarely updated...

Why don't you cut yourself while you're at it ye damn emo, aren't you insignificant?

The Patient
    In relevance to the universe, of course. But to my friends and people around me, noes D:

Your significance or insignificance depends on your viewpoint. And I think the cosmos lacks a viewpoint since there's no evidence of a sentient universe, so... you're just choosing to feel insignificant and labeling others around you as insignificant.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Yeah, how insignificant is it telling people that they are insignificant? Does the OP often try to convince children that they are children?

If everything is insignificant, it's all equaly significant. Pointing out humans, or what ever, being insignificant, implies that there is something that is significant. What is more significant than your own life?

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 05:21 PM ----------

Relation to what grand scheme of things? Do you mean insignificant scheme of things?
    Maybe the OP was trying for temporary significance which is what they have managed to achieve with this thread.

Now that is a good question, what is significant? The grand scheme of things but what exactly is the grand scheme of things?

Actually, I think I am the universe. Without me nothing matters. And no, it's not arrogance or ego. What does it matter if I can't move starts and galaxies or have only existed a short time compared to other things? I could come up with a list as big with things that are smaller, can affect less and live less. I matter to me, I'm the center of my universe and those billions of years that came before or will come after have no meaning.

Does the Theory of Relativity work for "significance"? lol
    It kinda does. It contains the formula to change us into energy. Us as humans is insignificant, but us as matter is pretty significant, even in the grand scheme of things. If you see humanity as something more than matter, we are insignificant. If we are just matter, the only thing on par is energy, which we can become according to theory of relativity.

As part of a race of humans, we are very small. As part of all matter in the universe, we are fairly crucial... But, so is sand...
    Go Hawks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    It kinda does. It contains the formula to change us into energy. Us as humans is insignificant, but us as matter is pretty significant, even in the grand scheme of things. If you see humanity as something more than matter, we are insignificant. If we are just matter, the only thing on par is energy, which we can become according to theory of relativity.

As part of a race of humans, we are very small. As part of all matter in the universe, we are fairly crucial... But, so is sand...
    All we are is dust in the wind...

Now that is a good question, what is significant? The grand scheme of things but what exactly is the grand scheme of things?
    I am assuming that the grand scheme of things is the universe. In which case seeing us as humans would make us insignificant. But, in that scheme, we are matter. We are the mass that combined with energy, is the universe...
    Go Hawks!!!!

By this logic, anything is insignificant. When you compare something to infinity (which it seems you are doing) even the largest things may be considered insignificant. A galaxy is insignificant.

All we are is dust in the wind...
    Yes, but if there was no matter, including dust, there would be no universe. At least not this one...
    Go Hawks!!!!

My mom thinks otherwise so FU!

And yet here we are.

Honestly, I'd say because of the tiny chances of live even forming to such a level I'd say yes, we are very significant
    "What do you seek within the mountain?"

Dreadlord
    thats the stupidest thing i'v ever heard, the universe is so big and old that you are insignificant. I am significant because of how i choose to live my life, and no scale of no universe is gonna change that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike