Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Allow me to counter:

Yes, we might be very insignificant in the larger picture. However, none of us can really do anything with the larger picture. That's why we keep ourselves to our "inner circles". Friends, family and those kind of "circles" To them, we're very significant. And that's what matters. I know that I am insignificant to some guy in America, but so is he to me! Being insignificant to the universe is NOTHING when I can be of significance to those who are significant to me<3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    You could justify anything by saying it's insignificant.

The recent school shootings are insignificant and do not matter in the grand scheme of things. Why care about them?

Moral corruption at best.
    Everything being insignificant opens up the ability for us to define what is significant. It doesn't have to lead to "moral corruption," which by itself is an odd term given moral relativity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Everything being insignificant opens up the ability for us to define what is significant. It doesn't have to lead to "moral corruption," which by itself is an odd term given moral relativity.
    He didn't said that, he clearly talked about sticking to such nihilism.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Your existence is insignificant. You are a here for a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of time. You are highly insignificant in the world, and the world is insignificant in the galaxy, and the galaxy is insignificant in the universe. The Earth is tiny and is only here for a fraction of time, a blink of an eye in the larger scheme of things. You will be completely forgotten and so will any memory of you. Nothing you ever say, do, or think will ever matter in any way, shape, or form, and neither will it last in any way.

You are completely and totally insignificant.
    I get your point, but you're really negative.

You could also say that each person, each world, each galaxy is unique. Because there is none exactly like it. That's a positive attitude.
    Do we matter? That's a matter of perspective. To yourself: yes. To other human beings: probably. To the universe: no. But the universe isn't a person, so who cares?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasami View Post
    Still people aren't making any kinds of megalomaniac claims, they're just saying they're content with the state of things. It's that simple.
    No, they're saying that they're significant. In fact, some people around here believe that they are more significant than the entire universe because they live. How delusional can one get?

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 06:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    You could justify anything by saying it's insignificant.

The recent school shootings are insignificant and do not matter in the grand scheme of things. Why care about them?

Moral corruption at best.
    And this is why this way of thinking shouldn't be left in the hands of the stupid. They end up using them as an excuse to commit crimes. It's the same thing as fanatically religious people telling others that they have no morals, because they have no fear of God, and because they have no fear of God they can commit crimes since they get away with it.

Way to miss the point.

Nobody told you that you shouldn't care, especially when you already have built-in empathy. It's just an observation. The reason why you don't kill people is because you acknowledge that they want to live, because YOU know how it is to want to live yourself. This is what empathy is, and nihilism does not affect it in any way, shape or form.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-01-16 at 06:13 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    No, they're saying that they're significant. In fact, some people around here believe that they are more significant than the entire universe because they live. How delusional can one get?
    Now you're just twisting. Noone, I mean NOONE, has said they're significant in relation to the whole universe.

Deleted
    Now you're just twisting. Noone, I mean NOONE, has said they're significant in relation to the whole universe.
    Did you read the whole thread?

Deleted
    Did you read the whole thread?
    As a matter of fact I did. You're seeing implications in places where there aren't any.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    But if I can destroy the universe, then I win >=3
    ^^^ this pretty much

Deleted
    As a matter of fact I did. You're seeing implications in places where there aren't any.
    This is a quote from this thread.

WE are the most significant thing in existence. planets dont decide anything, we arent insignificant because we're smaller than them. They dont have a mind, they cant say we're small.

We are the MOST significant thing in existence, for the simple fact that we can say that.
    As a matter of fact, you didn't. It's from the second page as well

Deleted
    Well, I'm depressed now.

Oh wait, I have a cookie! <( '.' < ) \( '.' )/ ( > '.' )>

Deleted
    This is a quote from this thread.

As a matter of fact, you didn't. It's from the second page as well
    You're telling me this one quote speaks for all of us?

Nobody told you that you shouldn't care, especially when you already have built-in empathy. It's just an observation. The reason why you don't kill people is because you acknowledge that they want to live, because YOU know how it is to want to live yourself. This is what empathy is, and nihilism does not affect it in any way, shape or form.
    Is empathy really built-in? The way see it, empathy is something you develop, not something you are born with. At best, such empathy would only apply to close relatives.
    Last edited by Thes; 2013-01-16 at 07:46 PM.

Deleted
    This is a pretty good picture of how I see things: http://i.imgur.com/8uEkW.jpg

So I'm with OP on this one. I never understood why so many people out there have this rose-colored view of the world. Not that it's a bad thing per se to have optimistic bias, but it blocks progress, and most people don't have initiative to improve their behavior or actions, when they only do what most of the people in the society do. People are very conservative in their views. If you present a more negative view on the world, or when you tell them how everything we do is very futile and meaningless, people call you depressed or nihilistic. But I think the worse here is actually the optimistic bias. We never improve on global problems, such as climate changes, lack of resources, overpopulation and the associated problems(lack of food, clean water and jobs etc.), and of course all of the suffering from the very unsuccessful nature of biological life.

The sooner we realize this, and not live with this rose-colored view that the world is a "good" place to live in, and that everything is going to be "okay", the sooner we are going to make successful changes. It's not that hard to come up with solutions if you ask me. We could for example just stop breeding. This would solve every single problem that any future human would otherwise have faced, if they was going to live.

With all these problems we are going to have, and the inescapable fact that biological life is very successful in creating life with the capability of experiencing extreme suffering and defects. This is not to say, that life cannot be enjoyable. I still have many things I personally enjoy. But there is no reason to continue this endless cycle of meaningless existence by breeding, when in the end, we are all gonna die, and nothing really matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, we've scoured the universe for more life and still not found it. Like matter is made up of almost entirely empty space, so is the universe. Empty space and dead planets made of some swirling gas and rocks. HERE is life. This tiny blue planet holds the only life in the universe, and that makes it, and what's on it, pretty damned special.
    We haven't even come close to scouring the universe. We barely know what's beyond our solar system.

Hell, we barely know what's in our solar system.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    What if humans and all life force can be compared to stars and planets. Trees, animals,birds, bacteria etc

From birth we grow and have a period of time in our prime to procreate, same with the formation of stars, planets, galaxies solar system, cosmos. Let's look at the human life cycle from conception to death. I was talking to a lady yesterday who looks after older people on a graveyard shift and she said some of them sleep but others don't, so I asked why (i thought insomnia). So she said elderly will revert back to child-like state at the end of life, to the point where they live for the second and don't sleep.

So we compare to a molecular level and go forward to infinity....getting bigger and bigger....expanding, procreating....new stars and planets forming (natural selection)
    Last edited by mmoc79af5b64ea; 2013-01-17 at 07:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    We haven't even come close to scouring the universe. We barely know what's beyond our solar system.

Hell, we barely know what's in our solar system.
    Also, I don't think taking cursory glances at planets counts as scouring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Significance is a fallacy. Insignificance is a realization.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Deleted
    You're telling me this one quote speaks for all of us?
    I am telling you to re-read what I wrote in my previous messages because you are the one who is twisting words right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I close my eyes... ONLY FOR A MOMENT, AND THE MOMENTS GONE!