Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Accutane for acne

So awhile back I posted a thread about my acne. I had broken out very badly and was seeking your guys help. I got some great tips (thanks for those) and many of you offered some genuine advice on how to help. Well, in the thread I had considered getting on Accutane. It took me awhile to get on it, but I finally did it.

I've only been on it for about a week and a half and I'm doing very well. My acne seems to have stopped in only a short amount of time. I've talked to my doctor with every possible question I could come up with, so this isn't a "I'm seeking medical advice" thread. It's just a "how was your experience on it" one.

There are a few different names for Accutane, so you may of had the generic version, which is the same thing. I'm on 30mg of Claravis once a day.

I was wondering if any of you have taken it?
    Your results?
    What were some of your side effects?
    Your overall experience?
    Would you do it again if you needed to?

Thanks again, guys

Pandaren Monk
    Accutune didn't do much for me. What did work for me, though, was antibiotics. But each person reacts differently to different treatments, so I'm hoping it works out well for you!

I remember that thread but wasn't accutane like super dangerous? Or was that some other stuff they were talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    Accutune didn't do much for me. What did work for me, though, was antibiotics.
    That. Almost any antibiotic prescribed for acne should work on the vast majority. I remember that they also recomand some cremes depending on how severe it is. Such cremes usually have like 0.1-0.5% acid and are used to remove top layers of skin. The sensation are not that hard, just like an itch and feeling a bit hot.

But thing is after you got the acne on stop you can work on removing any scars. You can try the high-end version that is also the fast one with CO2 Fractional Laser. Or the cheap-midrange with dilute acid or even the long lasting ones with cremes. I liked the laser a bit more but it required the hardware + training so not all cosmetic places have it.

The laser therapy itself will be session based like 3-5 sessions then a 6-12 month waiting time to give the skin time to grow. Then asses the work and do it again or stop, or reduce the number. Each session removes a deeper layer or skin (measured in [nm] in this case) and you also need to wait like 1-2 weeks between sessions. I had about 5 sessions I think, then went to a checkup after one year and will prob start soon again to see.

Keep in mind that you can't be "out" as in sedated for the thing and it will hurt. Depending on how much you can take. I for once am quite used, as in it didn't botter me that, but it's stil pain as it's burning layers of your skin via laser heat. So expect heat, sensation of like burning your skin and some skin bleeding (arround where skin is softer and you have capillaries arteries).

You will also need to use some "burn" creame for the time in between sessions to make sure the skin does regenerate a bit. Also from my experience the last session is like the hardest as it's the deepest and your skin is still "hurt" from before.
    Last edited by naturestorm; 2013-01-12 at 03:14 PM.

I had pretty severe acne on my cheeks, and I inherited those from my mother. I took antibiotics and Zineryt. Zineryt does wonders, and the antibiotics completely wiped out everything.
    Last edited by Qiqtz; 2013-01-12 at 03:15 PM.

Accutane or whatever the name is the most dangerous and effective of the anti-acnes, it's awesome and will work perfectly. The only side effect i get when i juice is acne and I always get prescribed isotretinoin.

Your results? Awesome, no sign of acne after a few months using it.
    What were some of your side effects? Dry skin.
    Your overall experience? 10/10
    Would you do it again if you needed to? Yeah when I cycle I do it.

One thing though, you've only been using it for one week, don't get discouraged if in the first weeks you actually get more acne, happens a lot specially when the skin starts to dry.

EDIT: Also try eating healthy, triglycerides and cholesterol numbers usually go up a bit.
    Last edited by larrakeyah; 2013-01-12 at 03:47 PM.

I was on Accutane when I was a teenager. My dermatologist said it was new at the time I believe and somewhat experimental. It helped my acne a little bit, but apparently I was one of the few unlucky ones who had the "suicidal tendencies". I was never prone to depression or anything before this. I don't remember it, but my mom said she came home one day to me holding a knife to my chest. Dermatologist said the % of this side effect happening was below 1%, but it had happened a few times before I guess. Was strange how something to help acne had such an intense side effect

So results, it helped my acne while on it. Listed above side effect, was the only one I had it seems. I think overall experience kind of was bad. And would definitely not take it again. To be honest, I have much better luck and a clearer complexion using Proactiv. If you use it correctly, every day, it truly does help. Getting the extra mask cover or the other goodies helps too.
    Last edited by Grissym; 2013-01-12 at 03:20 PM.
    D3 - Aggs 60 Barbarian | Paladin | Warlock | Shaman | Death Knight | Warrior |

Accutane worked wonders for me after everything else had failed. Unfortunately I had to stop before completing the treatment because the blood results started coming back abnormal, specifically with the kidneys. Think I took it for about 5 months out of a 6 month prescription. Stated out with monthly blood work, then when the numbers started getting high I came in every two weeks, then every week, and at the end I was coming in daily before the doctor said the numbers were getting too high and I needed to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Stop out of topic conversation, or I'll show you my giant hammer.

PS: The hammer is my penis.

Ok before you go to heavy stuff, try this:

Nicotinamide, which is basically B3 vitamin, topical gels with 4% of higher.
    This, is the best thing i've ever had, and its not aggressive nor drying.

Also:

Buy some honey, good honey if you are from the US it might be hard to find outside of shops such as greenlife or earthfare, try to get non pasterized honey.

Grab a teaspoon of honey and slap it all over your face (not joking at all btw) leave it there for about 4 hours and wash, all pimples will be reduced greately.

I tried tons of medications and none worked, both honey and nicotinamide have had great results, i had "late acne" meaning it started at 21, so my skin didnt really regenerate as fast, now im mostly clear due to those 2 things, but i did spend 3 years testing different things with hardly any result.

Give it a try, its fast and you will see results in less than a week.
    As a disclaimer, all skins are different, it might work wonders for me and do nothing for you, so all you can do is test different things, but please do yourself a favour and leave the heavy duty stuff for only when you already exausted all alternatives, those things do more damage than good and in many cases it wont treat your acne.

Also, find the reason for the acne (acne is a symptom, not a disease) to me it was ingesting sugar, once i found it out and cut it greatly, it started going away.

How to find a trigger? selectively eat a LOT of something and see the results, that easy, to cut it and wait for results takes longer and is not as accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Grissym View Post
    I was on Accutane when I was a teenager. My dermatologist said it was new at the time I believe and somewhat experimental. It helped my acne a little bit, but apparently I was one of the few unlucky ones who had the "suicidal tendencies". I was never prone to depression or anything before this. I don't remember it, but my mom said she came home one day to me holding a knife to my chest. Dermatologist said the % of this side effect happening was below 1%, but it had happened a few times before I guess. Was strange how something to help acne had such an intense side effect

So results, it helped my acne while on it. Listed above side effect, was the only one I had it seems. I think overall experience kind of was bad. And would definitely not take it again. To be honest, I have much better luck and a clearer complexion using Proactiv. If you use it correctly, every day, it truly does help. Getting the extra mask cover or the other goodies helps too.
    My brother got accutane when he was about 16-17 years old. (14 years ago) and he had suicidal tendencies as well. He got super depressed and has never been the same since. I would not recommend accutane EVER.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

I was put on when i was younger. It worked however 2 weeks in I would get the most crazy pins and needles in my scalp like it really really hurt and I started to lose hair. Stopped it quick smart.

I went backpacking through Africa a little while later and i was on anti malaria tablets which cleared me up completely. I spoke to my doc about it and she said that it is also used for acne so i went on it full time. The only side effects was reflux so I had to take it with Nexium.

edit: I found the name of the anti malaria tablets that helped. it was called Doxycycline
    Last edited by dodonpachi; 2013-01-12 at 04:06 PM.

I went on Accutane. Coincidentally i just finished my 8th month plan yesterday and i am Acne Free! I didn't have that bad of acne when i started though.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Results - massive reduction in acne. I had incredible ache on my back, pimples the size of your thumbnail and extremely sensitive. It would often make it painful to even wear a shirt. Creams, soaps, and antibiotics were found to be ineffective. A 6 month course of accutane practically eliminated it. I get maybe 2 or 3 small pimples per month now, years later.

Side effects - dry skin, dry eyes, nosebleeds

ive heard too many horror stories of acutane to consider taking it. i use to have quite bad acne, took a few prescription drugs and stuff for it and never really worked that well, some cleared it up for a few days, but it just came back. whats working as of recent is i cut dairy (mostly) out of my diet, reduced dairy intake bvy about 70% and its clearing up very nicely, been doing it for about 2months and its all been good so far.
    Too cool for a signature

My best friend took accutane for 6 months and looks like a completely new man now. Literally has no acne, whereas before he had a LOT. It sucks because it dried out his skin like hell for the duration of the medicine, but he's been off it for about 3 months now and the skin is still great.

Before and after pics!

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    I remember that thread but wasn't accutane like super dangerous? Or was that some other stuff they were talking about?
    Yes it is, it has a list of side effects about 3 pages long, one of which is suicide. Accutane is amazing at clearing up your skin, however as pointed out some of the side effects are very very nasty.
    For me personally I suffered from:
    - The dry lips, very badly, if I didnt keep a lip balm or vaseline on hand, within a few hours my lips would be cracked and bleeding and causing me insane pain.

- Bad joints, first time I noticed this was I was doing the washing up and my back starting hurting like mad, I then found I couldn't do exercises that required lifting my arms above my head and my knees hurt a lot when stuff like kneeling down.

- My eczema came back, that one wasn't too bad as it can be dealt with quite easily.

Of all of those the ezcema went away quite fast, my lips are ok these days but still require a bit of care in cold weather. I still have very bad joints, I did speak to a doctor a while ago and she didn't feel it was a result of the accutane but the issues started when I was on it, so what can you say. Would I do it again? I'm not sure, if the joint problems are definitely because of it then it's close, it was great to get rid of the acne, but being feeling like an OAP while in your 20s is horrible.
    [08:44:11] Kurioxan: as long they get big im alright with that

http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=MMOC-GenOT

I went on Accutane when I was 13-14 in 8th grade (I am now 26). My acne wasn't severe, but I just wanted it gone. Anyway, While it worked well in clearing up the acne, it dried out my skin and chapped my lips pretty badly. But the most severe side effect I had was severe mood swings. I honestly believe that awful medication altered my personality. I was happy-go-lucky, easy-going and non-temperamental; all that was changed in about 2 weeks of taking it. It scared the shit out of my mom as well as myself. Some people are ok on it, some are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Before and after pics!
    I plan on doing a youtube picture diary. Month to month, with end results

I really started breaking out on my chin when I was around 16. I thought it was just a phase but after 4 months it had only gotten way worse. Did the drug for 8 months I think. Came out of it a clean man. 19 now and I have barely had a pimple since.

I highly recommend it, although I have heard that some people don't tackle it as nicely as I did.

Would I do it again ? I think that my penis agrees on a 'Hell yeh' to that one..