Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Letting Dogs lick in your face

So, Sometimes outside or on tv you see people letting their dogs lick in their faces!
    I was talking about it with a girl a while ago and she said she doesen't mind it because the tongue of a dog is very clean.
    While i don't know the specific details of it,i just cannot see why it would be?

They lick their genitals,Fur,Paws that touch the ground outside ( Who knows what has been there ) Eat feces (sometimes) if they have the chance, Though not all dogs do so. Lick other dogs, Lick up their vomit, And eat a bunch of random crap they find trough the house, garbage or outside.
    Dogs don't brush their teeth so there isn't any real way for dogs to get their mouths cleaned, Its possible but people don't tend to do that or so i think!

So why do people really let dogs lick them in their faces? A dogs breath never smells good either.
    I can understand from a point that it looks cute when your dog is being all happy and sloppy with you, But still it doesen't strike me as something pleasant!

What is your opinion about this? Do you let your dog or another dog lick you in your face, And if so why? Or do you find it nasty?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it actually is a fact that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's. A lot of their food, those Milkbone treats especially, are made to act like a toothbrush for a dog and help remove plaque and stuff. That, and I actually do brush my dog's teeth... lol

Dogs lick their own wounds to clean them out. It's fairly safe to say there's nothing wrong with letting one lick your face.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont sit there and let my dog repeatedly lick my face lol, but when im playing with her and she licks me a few times its no big deal.

"a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's" has been proven wrong. they even did it on mythbusters for what it's worth. i do NOT let animals lick me. dogs, cats, whatever, i just find it nasty. i don't like how it feels, i just don't like it. it's nasty imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I think it actually is a fact that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's. A lot of their food, those Milkbone treats especially, are made to act like a toothbrush for a dog and help remove plaque and stuff. That, and I actually do brush my dog's teeth... lol
    Same. I brush both of my dog's teeth every night and I rinse their mouths with a doggie spray. Different breeds also have less or more germs. Shiba Inu's, for instance (the dogs we have), do not eat their own waste and prefer to avoid dirt. It's not really clean since they do carry bacteria that you don't, but you're not likely to get sick.

Being licked is fine though it is a dominance issue and should be controlled at all times. A dog should never lick you on its own; you should choose when licking occurs.

I don't let my dogs lick my mouth/lips, but I have no problem with them licking my face. It's a sign of affection/respect. That being said, I also do not leave vomit for my dogs to clean up or garbage lying around for them to get into. I also do not leave them outside to get into things out there. I guess it's just not something I've ever put much thought into. My husband will not let the dogs lick his face, but he's also not a dog person so I think that's your difference right there. People who love dogs, don't worry about what they licked before they lick your face. People who are less comfortable with them, are more bothered by something like that. Besides, my dog's breath smells better than some people I've run across over the years lol.

Deleted
    Dogs saliva is antiseptic but the benefits of it do not outweigh the infectious properties. It's not really cleaner than a humans, they're rather similar really, and lets face it, how many people would let a random human lick their face?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    "a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's" has been proven wrong. they even did it on mythbusters for what it's worth. i do NOT let animals lick me. dogs, cats, whatever, i just find it nasty. i don't like how it feels, i just don't like it. it's nasty imo.
    Bah, damn urban legends lol

who cares thats how much i love my dog, the chances of you getting sick from your dog licking you is really slim

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny888 View Post
    Dogs lick their own wounds to clean them out. It's fairly safe to say there's nothing wrong with letting one lick your face.
    I'm not saying it kills you to let a dog lick you in your face, But i cannot see it myself as something clean or pleasant.
    If i were to brush my teeth and use mouthwash practically clean my mouth troughout and offered to lick you in your face ( not mind that its weird)
    Would you be ok with that because my mouth is clean at that point? While there is a way for dogs to get their mouths cleaned, They're often more dirty than clean. So why is that ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    So, Sometimes outside or on tv you see people letting their dogs lick in their faces!
    I was talking about it with a girl a while ago and she said she doesen't mind it because the tongue of a dog is very clean.
    While i don't know the specific details of it,i just cannot see why it would be?

They lick their genitals,Fur,Paws that touch the ground outside ( Who knows what has been there ) Eat feces (sometimes) if they have the chance, Though not all dogs do so. Lick other dogs, Lick up their vomit, And eat a bunch of random crap they find trough the house, garbage or outside.
    Dogs don't brush their teeth so there isn't any real way for dogs to get their mouths cleaned, Its possible but people don't tend to do that or so i think!

So why do people really let dogs lick them in their faces? A dogs breath never smells good either.
    I can understand from a point that it looks cute when your dog is being all happy and sloppy with you, But still it doesen't strike me as something pleasant!

What is your opinion about this? Do you let your dog or another dog lick you in your face, And if so why? Or do you find it nasty?
    My cat usually licks my lips when I am sleeping. Who knows why. I don't prohibit it when I feel it because I am indifferent to whatever germs it might be introducing into my system. I don't care to live my life worrying about germs and infections - if I can easily prevent them (such as by washing hands after using public transit) - I will, but going out of my way to reduce an insignificant source of infection - no thanks.

If i were to brush my teeth and use mouthwash practically clean my mouth troughout and offered to lick you in your face ( not mind that its weird)
    Would you be ok with that because my mouth is clean at that point?
    If I let strippers lick me - and I have no idea where their mouths have been, why would I have any issues with you licking me? Especially after cleaning your mouth.
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 2013-01-14 at 05:15 PM.

I'm not saying it kills you to let a dog lick you in your face, But i cannot see it myself as something clean or pleasant.
    Would you be ok with that because my mouth is clean at that point? While there is a way for dogs to get their mouths cleaned, They're often more dirty than clean. So why is that ok?
    Depends how cute you are tbh :P

Deleted
    Its an urban legend based on the fact that a bite wound from a human is more likely to get infected then a bite wound from a dog.

I don't mind my dog licking my cheeks, I stop him from licking my mouth though. I can't see the issue with anywhere that isn't your mouth tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I read when I Googled who has a cleaner mouth, apparently while a dog's mouth has bacteria, most of it is species specific. That means it's harmless to humans which is why you're more likely to get sick from another human than you ever would from a dog.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Same. I brush both of my dog's teeth every night and I rinse their mouths with a doggie spray. Different breeds also have less or more germs. Shiba Inu's, for instance (the dogs we have), do not eat their own waste and prefer to avoid dirt. It's not really clean since they do carry bacteria that you don't, but you're not likely to get sick.

Being licked is fine though it is a dominance issue and should be controlled at all times. A dog should never lick you on its own; you should choose when licking occurs.
    Shiba's are indeed a fine race that keep themselves clean, it's in their pride.

At home we've got loads of different dogs, from chihuahua's to "Keeshond"/"Wolfspitze", but I wouldn't like to be licked by any, allthough of a Shiba I still don't mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    The dog's tongue and mouth clean themselves a lot faster than a human can. Just the shape, design, and overall function of their mouth is a lot cleaner than ours.

Dogs have antibacteria in their saliva.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    You are referring to MythBuster's Episode 39 (Original airdate: October 19, 2005) where the sample collected from Adam's mouth had much more bacterial growth than the sample collected from Lulu the dog. Jamie suggested, however, that the bacteria from the dog may be more potent.

Not sure that's conclusive. It probably depend's on the dog in question. I brush my dog's teeth frequently (vet bills for oral procedures for >$1,000 will encourage you to brush)....and my dog uses chews often. What a dog eats (raw food etc) also plays into the equation.

I also tend to be selective when it comes to allowing strange humans licking my face as well.