Thread: Terribly lonely

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Sorry, but that doesn't all the sudden get you friends.

    I'm in my 2nd week at a new college, and I still don't know anyone or have any friends I have met here that I hang out with. The only person I know attending here doesn't live on campus and she works in the afternoon, so I only see her in one of my classes, and when she occasionally has time to eat lunch here.

    I know how you feel OP.
    Well, going to college might help getting friends, but going to college to get friends only? Don't bother then.

  2. #22
    I am Murloc! Tomatketchup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Well, going to college might help getting friends, but going to college to get friends only? Don't bother then.
    I'm still in high school, I don't start college/university until this autumn.
    Kalle Anka-partiet in i svenska riksdagen 2014!

    Can't fake the feelin'~

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Sorry, but that doesn't all the sudden get you friends.

    I'm in my 2nd week at a new college, and I still don't know anyone or have any friends I have met here that I hang out with. The only person I know attending here doesn't live on campus and she works in the afternoon, so I only see her in one of my classes, and when she occasionally has time to eat lunch here.

    I know how you feel OP.
    No shit! I thought the moment you step into college you could meet with over 9K people? You are newbie. Do not generalize your experience yet(given the fact that no1 can be friend in two weeks, that's pretty normal). Also, I was suggesting for something that could occupy rest of his life not just a way to find friends. Besides, College is a good place to meet with people and he can keep in touch after graduation.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I'm still in high school, I don't start college/university until this autumn.
    I know, but if you plan on going to college to get friends only, then I wouldn't really advise you to go to college at all, atleast wait a year, get a job to get some money and all that.

  5. #25
    I am Murloc! muto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Inside a Bubble
    Posts
    5,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Well, going to college might help getting friends, but going to college to get friends only? Don't bother then.
    Didn't say that did I? I just want someone to chill with here when I've finished my studies or at least each lunch and dinner with.


  6. #26
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,816
    Havent you already done several of these threads OP...

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Didn't say that did I? I just want someone to chill with here when I've finished my studies or at least each lunch and dinner with.
    I shouldn't have quoted you, it was a mistake, sorry. It wasn't really directed at you.

    But yeah, I know what you mean.

  8. #28
    Elemental Lord Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    8,808
    Ok, this might sound stupid, but as gender stereotypes push females to be more emotive and males to be less... and you're more emotive... I suggest you get more female friends. Yes, it's a weird suggestion, I know, but it works. In that aspect I'm much like you, very emotive, and 90% of my friends are... female. And I get along really well with them. And here's the deal, because I get along with them well, I like doing stuff with them. Obviously, since they have different female stuff to do, I can't do everything for obvious reasons. But still, it created me a way to do stuff I like with people I like, like... go to have something to eat/drink together, or go to the mountain/sea together etc. In your case it's skiing I see. You could try to get them into gaming too if you like it.

    So this should fix two aspects, you'll get friends and you'll get friends with which you'll get close(you need to still find the females with similar personalities). If you're lucky, you might even get 1 that you like and likes you back, or at least one that can hook you up with a friend of hers that may fit you. And here's the deal.

    So... have more friends that are women. It works.

  9. #29
    I am Murloc! Tomatketchup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I know, but if you plan on going to college to get friends only, then I wouldn't really advise you to go to college at all, atleast wait a year, get a job to get some money and all that.
    I'm going to university in Luleå primarly because I want to get away from everything, ironically. I also love northern Sweden. Truly viking-like to live in something so pisscold.
    Kalle Anka-partiet in i svenska riksdagen 2014!

    Can't fake the feelin'~

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I'm not sure whether I should join something I don't enjoy in order to find people who share my interests. Then I might as well just hang with the friends I already have - and that sucks balls.

    But sure, I might look for something which fits my political interests in my town, unfortunately there are no major parties that are supporting the things I support, so that'll be a LOT of grunt work.

    Sorry for being so pessimistic by the way.
    You come off as the kind of guy no one wants to hang out with, so that's probably why you don't have friends.

    Try relaxing and having fun and not pretending everything has to be super serious and about politics? Discussing politics is basically the worst thing on earth and no one wants to do it or hear it, and the people that do are insufferable and awful to be near.

    Hanging out with people is about having fun, doing something fun. If you honestly don't find anything fun (especially group sports like kick ball, dodge ball, over the line etc which are all hilarious) you need to figure something out because that is a recipe for a lonely and boring life.

    I don't mean this in a rude way, I mean it in an honest way. Life is short - it really is - you need to learn to relax and just enjoy it. It's not important to be so serious all the time.

  11. #31
    I am Murloc! Tomatketchup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Havent you already done several of these threads OP...
    Made one about studying difficulties, one about my perfectionism and one about how bored I am. I usually come to MMO-Champion for suggestions because I find the General OT people much more intellectual and relatable to than other forums.
    Kalle Anka-partiet in i svenska riksdagen 2014!

    Can't fake the feelin'~

  12. #32
    Mechagnome Vinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    In your browser
    Posts
    652
    If you often come up with random and/or crazy ideas then try to think of a crazy invention or product! After that you could try to get it on the market and sell dozens, then hundreds and maybe even thousands. Sticky notes and paperclips are perfect examples of this. Getting a business plan and running a business are bound to keep you busy and also make some money along the way.
    ''The only true failure is when you stop trying''.

  13. #33
    Elemental Lord Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    8,808
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Sorry, but that doesn't all the sudden get you friends.

    I'm in my 2nd week at a new college, and I still don't know anyone or have any friends I have met here that I hang out with. The only person I know attending here doesn't live on campus and she works in the afternoon, so I only see her in one of my classes, and when she occasionally has time to eat lunch here.

    I know how you feel OP.
    Invite her to eat lunch together, as friends if that's what you want, or as a date, if that's what you want.
    It's really not hard. If you're inviting her as friend it's even very easy.

    Plus... it's only second week! I like got friends at university from second year only! And only in third year did they get to become actual friends and not just friendly people I knew and only after university did they become true good friends. This doesn't happen instantly and you need to do stuff too.

    Do you want to meet people? Good, after/before classes say "hello" to people, ask how they're doing, and listen to their rabble. Since people like being listened to.
    I mean come on! I'm like super shy and have few friends myself, but can still say hello to people I'd like to make contact with.

  14. #34
    I am Murloc! Tomatketchup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    You come off as the kind of guy no one wants to hang out with, so that's probably why you don't have friends.
    Oh trust me, I'm a fucking Jackass when I'm out on the town with my buddies. I shout and I'm generally a dick. Politics is not something we discuss. I also despise myself afterwards because I hate being that guy. It's a complete 180 degree change from my usual introverted insecure personality.
    Kalle Anka-partiet in i svenska riksdagen 2014!

    Can't fake the feelin'~

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Made one about studying difficulties, one about my perfectionism and one about how bored I am. I usually come to MMO-Champion for suggestions because I find the General OT people much more intellectual and relatable to than other forums.
    See this right here? I know it's hard for you to see it but this is terrible. You come off as the classic teenager that thinks hes way too smart for everyone else, too emotional, too deep, no one can possibly understand you - and honestly, that's OK, because a lot of people go through it, but I promise you in ten years if you save these threads and look back, you'll laugh at how ridiculous you were. Relax, let loose, just try to enjoy things and stop thinking you need to act like a pseudo-intellectual all the time or you're somehow some stupid neanderthal.

  16. #36
    I am Murloc! Tomatketchup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    See this right here? I know it's hard for you to see it but this is terrible. You come off as the classic teenager that thinks hes way too smart for everyone else, too emotional, too deep, no one can possibly understand you - and honestly, that's OK, because a lot of people go through it, but I promise you in ten years if you save these threads and look back, you'll laugh at how ridiculous you were. Relax, let loose, just try to enjoy things and stop thinking you need to act like a pseudo-intellectual all the time or you're somehow some stupid neanderthal.
    Right, I definitely need to see a psychiatrist now, I'm honestly having a hard breathing normally when I read that I have to let loose. Yeah, good times in 10 years indeed.
    Kalle Anka-partiet in i svenska riksdagen 2014!

    Can't fake the feelin'~

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I've been thinking about it, but I've always felt that it's been a teenager kind of thing and that's it gonna pass. Depression just sounds a bit drastic.
    You can have a meeting with a psychologist without being depressed... their work is not only about people with problems, a lot of their work goes around people who wants to be more happy on his day to day basis.

    A good professional will show you how to find your own tools to feel good with yourself and be more positive and happy.

    I'm almost a psychologist (just one college year more to be) and, of course we are trained in psychopathology, neuroscience and clinical stuff but we get a solid training in emotions, motivation, coaching and support.

    Give it a chance, maybe you will discover a way to make yourself happy.

  18. #38
    I am Murloc! muto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Inside a Bubble
    Posts
    5,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Invite her to eat lunch together, as friends if that's what you want, or as a date, if that's what you want.
    It's really not hard. If you're inviting her as friend it's even very easy.

    Plus... it's only second week! I like got friends at university from second year only! And only in third year did they get to become actual friends and not just friendly people I knew and only after university did they become true good friends. This doesn't happen instantly and you need to do stuff too.

    Do you want to meet people? Good, after/before classes say "hello" to people, ask how they're doing, and listen to their rabble. Since people like being listened to.
    I mean come on! I'm like super shy and have few friends myself, but can still say hello to people I'd like to make contact with.
    I have asked her and had lunch with her a few times, but I don't want to keep asking her, because then she'll think I have no other friends, plus she hangs out with her aunt during a couple lunch periods during the week, and no one comes between her and her aunt. I also do try to make small talk with people.


  19. #39
    Elemental Lord Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    8,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    You come off as the kind of guy no one wants to hang out with, so that's probably why you don't have friends.

    Try relaxing and having fun and not pretending everything has to be super serious and about politics? Discussing politics is basically the worst thing on earth and no one wants to do it or hear it, and the people that do are insufferable and awful to be near.

    Hanging out with people is about having fun, doing something fun. If you honestly don't find anything fun (especially group sports like kick ball, dodge ball, over the line etc which are all hilarious) you need to figure something out because that is a recipe for a lonely and boring life.

    I don't mean this in a rude way, I mean it in an honest way. Life is short - it really is - you need to learn to relax and just enjoy it. It's not important to be so serious all the time.
    This is actually true. Never start conversations with people you don't know well about politics. The most ask them what party they like or if they like some idea, but don't talk politics with people until you know them well and have been friends for a while.

    And as I said, listen to people ramble. It makes them feel good. And if you like them you can give advice, and it makes you feel good because they listened to your advice.
    That said, skiing should work. And you could make friends in games and such... actually that's a good idea, you could ask people if they play computer games for example. Or if they like skiing and go on trips with them. Or talk about tv. When the winter olympics come is perfect time since you like winter sports. And about vikings since you mentioned them. There, found a ton of subjects for you to talk with people about.

    And make jokes between serious things and tease people.
    For example if you know there's a party leader none of the people you talk about likes and he appears on tv, say "look, bet you've all wanted to see him, your favourite politician!" and laugh a bit.

  20. #40
    I dont know anyone these days. I focus all my time and attention on working, it gets me by, makes money too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •