Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Removing a dual-party system would do a lot more for voter turnout than mandatory voting.

    Remove electoral college while you're at it too.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Who do you think is more likely to vote? A well-informed voter who votes blue in Texas? Or a fucking idiot in New Hampshire who votes red?

    The democrat in Texas knows his vote doesn't matter. The idiot in New Hampshire doesn't care.
    Forcing the Democrat in Texas to show up doesn't make his vote actually count. The problem here is the spectacularly archaic system.

  3. #23
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    10,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Removing a dual-party system would do a lot more for voter turnout than mandatory voting.
    The US has essentially revolved around a two party system since its beginning, with a few instances where it was more that never really lasted that long; the current political system is essentially a natural result of the way the government is set up.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Fuck if I know. Let's ask Australia.

    Hey Australia. How do you enforce compulsory voting?

    You have to rock up to the polling location, get your name ticked off, then go to the booth and put the paper in the box. You can vote, or you can draw a giant ballsack on the ballot. As long as you get your name ticked off, you're sweet.

    As an aside, it's a stupid system. If you don't care about voting, you shouldn't be voting. It just makes it easier to buy votes (Kevin07 bought them for what, $900 a person?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

  5. #25
    If people can't be arsed to vote chances are they are also can't be arsed to do the proper research. Really what America needs is a test to see if you are eligible to vote. In that test would be questions concerning things like candidate voting history, positions on the issues, and recent news.(basic math and English would be nice too)

    Frankly America needs less idiots voting not more.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    If people can't be arsed to vote chances are they are also can't be arsed to do the proper research. Really what America needs is a test to see if you are eligible to vote. In that test would be questions concerning things like candidate voting history, positions on the issues, and recent news.(basic math and English would be nice too)

    Frankly America needs less idiots voting not more.
    they used to do poll tests, for some reason folks got pissed off with them mid century
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

  7. #27
    The compulsory voting is enforced via fines. If you don't show and get your name ticked off the list you get a nice fine in your mail box.

  8. #28
    I agree that it should be easier to vote, but only when it can be done so without risking that people cheat.
    I don't agree that it should be mandatory by law to vote. If people don't want their voice to be heard then so be it.
    In Denmark where I live 87,7% voted at the last election in 2011 (googled it). And We don't have laws that tell us to vote. What we do have, is a population which is generally interested in politics at a national level.
    A way to increase the voting % in the U.S could for example to change the way the presidential elections are decided. If I was a democrat in a republican dominated area or opposite I'm not sure I would want to vote either. with a fair system Bush would not have won in 2000.
    Last edited by Mikael123; 2013-01-15 at 01:38 AM.

  9. #29
    Uninformed voting would probably skyrocket, so I doubt it would, OP.

    Regular Dota

    Ranked Only
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    people who smoke weed past primary school dont deserve jobs. weed is for little kids. you should stop smoking it and move on to real people things

  10. #30
    The Lightbringer Deadvolcanoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,599
    I'm not sure. I've heard that it helps to reduce the effect money has on politics (not sure if true).

    I'd really like to see our voting period extended. Perhaps a week long process. I couldn't vote this year because I was working insane overtime hours because of Hurricane Sandy. Or at least changing the voting day to a Sunday instead of the middle of the work week.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think that's quite wrong. There's a significant correlation between educational attainment and likelihood of voting.
    Speaking as an educated Republican in New Jersey, that correlation is retarded and not indicative of jack shit unless you live in Ohio or some other swing state.

    I'm educated enough about civics to know that my vote literally does not matter. I've voted in 3 presidential elections and several congressional elections. in 10 years the only Republican vote I've ever cast that made a difference was for Chris Christie.

  12. #32
    Yeah, even more uninformed people voting will surely help.
    One cannot simply quit wow his way into Mordor.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Forcing the Democrat in Texas to show up doesn't make his vote actually count. The problem here is the spectacularly archaic system.
    Here's the thing. If you force democrats in Texas to vote, they might start getting pissed at how little it counts.

    They may engender change in their state's allocation of electoral votes so that their vote DO count.

  14. #34
    Absolutely not. We already have enough morons voting we don't need to encourage more. If you can't be arsed to wake your ass up and vote now. We don't need your opinion influencing anything.

  15. #35
    I am Murloc! Airwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    Posts
    5,677
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    You have to rock up to the polling location, get your name ticked off, then go to the booth and put the paper in the box. You can vote, or you can draw a giant ballsack on the ballot. As long as you get your name ticked off, you're sweet.

    As an aside, it's a stupid system. If you don't care about voting, you shouldn't be voting. It just makes it easier to buy votes (Kevin07 bought them for what, $900 a person?)
    That last part is a load of bullshit ignore that. What he said first was true but. If you don't get your name ticked off you get a fine of a few hundred dollars. If you are out of the country/sick or even out of your home state you will not be fined.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    If you're already at the polls why the hell not vote?
    People vote for nothing to show who they want in. Which can be nobody. I voted for nobody last time because i think both major parties are dickheads. Last election there was the most blank voting slips there have ever been so i was not the only one that felt like that. If there was someone worth voting for i would have voted for them. Both parties here are more interested in attacking each other then proving to people they can run the country.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2013-01-15 at 01:37 AM.
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by goobernoob View Post
    they used to do poll tests, for some reason folks got pissed off with them mid century
    Oh, I know it isn't a realistic option... but if people want to fix things it is about the only option. As things stand far too many people vote based on the horse and pony show that is the candidate advertisement campaign. If you want to get the corruption out of politics, the only hope you have is for the voters to be intelligent enough and to actually care enough to do the research and figure out who is talking out there ass(hint: all of them)

    Regardless of how realistic some sort of test would be, the country absolutely does not need more lazy people going to the polls than we already have.

  17. #37
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    The US has essentially revolved around a two party system since its beginning, with a few instances where it was more that never really lasted that long; the current political system is essentially a natural result of the way the government is set up.
    I could easily see a far left and moderate conservative party emerge. Leaving the moderate cons and current Dems to having to compromise while the fringes have little power to get shit done.

  18. #38
    Stood in the Fire Halabash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    350
    Op

    In regards to an American Presidential election force voting would not change a thing thanks to the electoral college. In regards to local elections most people have no clue who they are voting for on the ballot, and that is done by design. Instead of compulsory voting, how about compulsory transparency for each politician running? how about a standardized list of how they voted through out their term(s), the amount of time they spend in service to the community and how much money they make directly from their job and how much "charities" in their name or for their causes have raised?


    To assume the electorate is uneducated couldn't be more fallacious people know what they want, that is undeniable, its just picking the person closest to what they want that they struggle with, and rightly so as most politician try to be what people want instead of being who they actually are. why? because its a popularity contest not a scientific nomination.

    source (The Way the World Works, by Jude Wanniski)

  19. #39
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    10,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I could easily see a far left and moderate conservative party emerge. Leaving the moderate cons and current Dems to having to compromise while the fringes have little power to get shit done.
    The problem with that, and what essentially sealed the fate of the two party system, is the innovation of modern media and mass advertising. Ultimately, money is power when an election is based on spreading as much information as quickly as you can. If you split, you lose resources. If you lose resources, another group that has consolidated its resources wins. So people are forced to compromise with people that they share some views with, in order to win against those that they are vehemently against.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Speaking as an educated Republican in New Jersey, that correlation is retarded and not indicative of jack shit unless you live in Ohio or some other swing state.

    I'm educated enough about civics to know that my vote literally does not matter. I've voted in 3 presidential elections and several congressional elections. in 10 years the only Republican vote I've ever cast that made a difference was for Chris Christie.
    Nonetheless, the correlation exists. The less educated someone is, the less likely they are to vote. If anything, I'd rather push that number even farther in that direction. If not a single high school dropout voted, it wouldn't upset me the tiniest bit.

    Your point that votes are pointless is, of course, correct. I don't think anyone that's well informed votes because they think their vote really matters; in fact, believing that your vote matters is basically the definition of being uninformed. Informed people vote primarily for social and psychological reasons, not because they think their votes really count.

    I don't see how making lazy idiots vote would improve the quality of votes. For me, it would just make me more sure than ever that the guy in line next to me is spectacularly stupid and cancels out whatever I think.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •