Poll: Are you more into: responsive, fast peaced and good graphic titles?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are we more sensitive to: responsive, fast peaced and good graphic titles?

I am semi-old gamer (+14 years of playing games, casually, with a 3 years of hardcore, behind me) and I am finding that even my needs evolved. For now, I need fast peaced and great graphic games with a insanely responsive interface and interaction. For instance: Path of Exlie vs Diablo III. D3 is much more responsive. WoW vs any "wow-alike" mmo: WoW is extremally responsive. LoL vs any other DoTa: LoL wins. RTS? SC2 vs any other RTS.
    I could compare two online flight simulators here, War Thunder vs World of Warplanes and the first one wins.

Poll included. Are you in this group of "ONLY the games with the most responsive interface, graphic, setting + fast peaced action, gameplay is the second" ?

Update:
    The question is simple, I will write it for you:
    you have 2 simillar games, one has better interface, which one you pick?
    +
    is the resposivness of the interface important to you?
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2013-01-15 at 01:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea what you're asking, but I'll try to answer.

I prefer a game that is very responsive with a character that moves the way you want over one that has nice graphics. I also prefer gameplay and story over graphics, but to an extent. Interface is not important at all to me, unless it's a computer game without a hardware cursor (I'm looking at you Skyrim)

Deleted
    yeah i didnt really fully understand the question either.

but wows repsoniveness and its smoothness if why ive never liked any other mmo, no other mmo has come close to WoWs smoothness and responsivness of the character, only one thats come near is GW2. the rest just feel a bit sluggish, doesnt feel like i have full control of my character.
    interface matters, got to be easy to learn, looking at you eve.
    i would say story and game play is more important that graphics to an extent, look at the sucess of minecraft and its graphics. if the game is fun and enjoyable i dont care that much about the graphics.

+

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    +

think i answered that, but yes it is. hate playing unresponsive games.

10+ Year Old Account
    +
    Well naturally you'd pick the one with the better interface, and the one that actually casts the spells when you mash the button, but that's assuming every other factor is null.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Iunless it's a computer game without a hardware cursor (I'm looking at you Skyrim)
    And numerous other PC ports. Seriously, can we take five minutes to program decent mouse sensitivity, please?

But yes, I like my games to be responsive. My priority is usually gameplay > responsiveness > graphics.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I am semi-old gamer (+14 years of playing games, casually, with a 3 years of hardcore, behind me) and I am finding that even my needs evolved. For now, I need fast peaced and great graphic games with a insanely responsive interface and interaction. For instance: Path of Exlie vs Diablo III. D3 is much more responsive. WoW vs any "wow-alike" mmo: WoW is extremally responsive. LoL vs any other DoTa: LoL wins. RTS? SC2 vs any other RTS.
    I could compare two online flight simulators here, War Thunder vs World of Warplanes and the first one wins.

Poll included. Are you in this group of "ONLY the games with the most responsive interface, graphic, setting + fast peaced action, gameplay is the second" ?

Update:
    +
    THANK YOU - FINALLY someone who understands!

For years, I've been trying to get into other MMO's. Aion felt weird cause of some interface bugs and annoying features, and the way the world would unfold... neeeeh, not my thing. Wow, however, is very responsive. I need things to go smooth in order to be able to play comfortably. I can't have things lag behind and such.

I've always returned to WoW because of the fast pace. I've tried to explain it to friends and even to myself a couple of times why I just feel that WoW is right for me in the sort of gameplay, but they don't understand. This is the first time I've seen anyone else taking this little.. "thing" into the light and actually making a good point.

As for the graphic - I am a graphic Nerd. Main reason for wanting to go to other games was because of better graphics. If they fix wow's graphics, well... I don't need no new game. ((sorry for all grammar mistakes and such. I am ill at the moment and unable to think my sentences too well.))

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiken3 View Post
    THANK YOU - FINALLY someone who understands!

For years, I've been trying to get into other MMO's. Aion felt weird cause of some interface bugs and annoying features, and the way the world would unfold... neeeeh, not my thing. Wow, however, is very responsive. I need things to go smooth in order to be able to play comfortably. I can't have things lag behind and such.

I've always returned to WoW because of the fast pace. I've tried to explain it to friends and even to myself a couple of times why I just feel that WoW is right for me in the sort of gameplay, but they don't understand. This is the first time I've seen anyone else taking this little.. "thing" into the light and actually making a good point.

As for the graphic - I am a graphic Nerd. Main reason for wanting to go to other games was because of better graphics. If they fix wow's graphics, well... I don't need no new game. ((sorry for all grammar mistakes and such. I am ill at the moment and unable to think my sentences too well.))

ive posted this many times when talking about other mmos. GW2 is the only other mmo thats come close to feeling smooth. every other one ive tried, and ive tried basically every mmo in the last few years, just doesnt feel right. not sure what it is, but the games just feel sluggish and i always find my self coming back to WoW becuase it plays so well. and i like WoWs graphic style, sort of cartoony (dont know the word), its a great style and i really like it, i wouldnt mind them being a bit higher res and better quality, but i hope blizzard never changes the style of it.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your poll is kinda weird for me to answer, since the values of a game that you put together kinda conflict. I love if a setting is done well, but it does not have much to do with graphics for me.. in the sense that graphics do not have to be modern and using the latest technology to get the feel of "setting" across. Responsiveness as well, comes under gameplay for me and isn't separate.

That being said, in response to the topic question: I like games with great and addictive gameplay followed very closely by story. The setting itself isn't important (sci fi interests me as much as fantasy or dark fiction) but I enjoy if the game does a good job of making you FEEL the setting.

Graphics is the least important to me, as I find myself able to go back to playing games with sprites, or cel shaded images, no problems PROVIDED that the above is satisfied. I may be initially attracted to games with great graphics, due to some "wow" factor they have, but very often get bored if there isn't depth. The only recent ish games that I enjoy that has great graphics would be the Witcher 2/GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the game has a clunky interface I drop it within a day or two, hence why I avoid most f2p games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dishonored is a perfect example of what I truly love in a game. AMAZING GAMEPLAY. Something where you smile while you play it. Then again I have a pretty crappy computer, so I have to play more modern games on low low low settings, so I suppose I'm used to the games looking a little meh. I will admit that graphics are important. Farcry 3 is a ton of fun to play, but from the videos I've seen of it, I know if I played it on high it'd be quite the sight to see.

Then again The Walking Dead didn't have much in the way of gameplay or graphics and it made up for it with an amazing story.

A game can be successful with kickass gameplay and a mediocre story. A game can be successful with passable gameplay and a powerful story, but I don't know of any game that can thrive off of mediocre gameplay and story, but kickass graphics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, if a game does everything you menioned well, it'll likely be an ok game, but for me to consider it a great game, the only things I want or need is gameplay and content. Example: I love Dwarf Fortress. It has easily one of the worst, unintuitive and most convoluted interfaces in any game today, yet many people love it to death. Many peeps still dig the oldschool SNES games that aren't up to modern industry standards anymore - they are still much loved, even by gamers who didn't grow up with them.

Gameplay is what matters most to me. If I enjoy the game, other things like graphics doesn't matter much to me.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Adapt or die. If the game's worth it, put the time in to learn any finicky controls/commands.

i prefer the gameplay and the story over anything else. hell i wish they still had old school games in this console generation (talking about games like legend of dragoon and the like)
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    where the fast paced argument come from?

Good gameplay is always a plus in a game; good story, responsiveness, graphical fidelity, always a plus.

But fast paced is not always plus. What if i like slow paced game?
    What if i don't like to rush ahead, gun blazzing, only leaving a body trail. What if i prefer surgical strike? What if i prefer lure in the shadow, wait the perfect moment to strike and return to the shadow.

Can you say that games such as civilization or football manager are fast paced? are they bad games?

I do not agree with the argument that fast paced game = good games.

Deleted
    I care about gameplay and story first and foremost. Interface I couldn't care unless it's really annoying. Diablo 3 might have a good interface, but it doesn't make it a good game for me. I still find it bad.

And I don't like fast paced games, nor too slow ones, I like there to be a balance.

Deleted
    Gameplay, setting and story come first. But you can design gameplay around an unresponsive interface, mmo's are actually a good example of this: Internet latency means an mmo cannot be as responsive as an offline game, and WoW for example responded by implementing internal cooldowns. These hide Internet latency - the user interface is very responsive, but the game itself reacts slower.

That said, on any game where twitch response is a factor, responsiveness is very important. People's tolerances vary a lot though, casual players generally don't care as long as UI response is under 0.3 seconds, most non-hardcore gamers are happy won't even notice responsiveness as long as its faster than 0.15 seconds (see US Air Force research from the 1950's), but professional gamers or FPS fans can see differences up to 200 Hz.

It reminds me a little of Peter Jackson filming the hobbit in high frame rate though - that caused quite a stink, because people felt the end result looked too 'slick' and not 'cinematic'. Sometimes better frame rates and responsiveness don't give exactly the result you're looking for.

WoW's responsiveness is among the main reasons I've stuck with it so long, in favour of many other MMOs. Playing other MMOs just feels like moving in mud instead of air, like I'm fighting against the game controls rather than playing with them.

I don't understand why so many game developers get this wrong. Maybe they don't care?

It confuses me every time I pick up a single-player title, like Kingdoms of Amalur, and have it responde worse than world of warcraft does. What? No. This is unacceptable, especially for a single-player game. Characters should respond within low single-digit milliseconds in all single-player games, the only exceptions being where character response-time is deliberately inhibited for whatever reason (like in horror games, not that there are many of those these days).

Games that respond too slowly literally give me a headache.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."