Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    But do they charge different customers different prices for the same items? That, if I am not mistaken, is referred to as discrimination.
    Of course it is. And there is nothing illegal about discrimination in itself; if discrimination was illegal, than you would have to hire anyone who applied for a job, allow anyone to rent a house no matter their financial situation, and sell alcohol to minors. All of that is discriminating for various reasons. It's discriminating based on gender, race, age, orientation in a few states, and a few other things that is protected against.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2013-01-15 at 03:25 AM.

It is a very shitty thing to do. I hate people that charge more after they finished judging your wallet.

At a lumber yard I used to work at, the large development companies got things significantly cheaper than individual contractors. This was because the millions they spent would still generate much more revenue than the "little guy" and it secured their patronage.

So it can go both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawsix View Post
    if im say a repair man in a high scale neighbourhood i would have to raise my rates compared to repairmen down in lower areas cause i gota pay more to live in those places

Did those u asked say they pay more from the say person for the same service?
    In a free market, You have the right to ask for whatever price. Your clients have the right to go to your competitor for a better price.

The only situation that in which your pricing is at risk is when you're in a monopoly.

Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    McDonald's is cheaper in the poorer suburbs of my city. I'd say thats wrong
    It is the opposite here, the large fry at the one in the nicer part of town in $1.69 compared to $1.89

Newports also seem to cost more in the bad parts of town but that may be due to the stores being independent instead of something like a Circle K

Robin Hood economic policies, be they present in taxes or business, should be opposed at all costs.

Success should not be punished nor should wealth be presumed, by default, to be attained in illegal/immoral ways that are deemed worthy of punishment.

getting down to the crux of the matter, is this: You charge what you think you can get from them. That's the founding principle of capitalism. If they don't know that it's more than someone else is getting, it's their fault for being frivolous with their money and not shopping around, or finding reviews or past customers.

So, morally, no, it's not wrong. If they want it cheap, they would find it cheap. Legally, well, that's another matter entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually customers in those situation expect a better service for the same job i.e. the service provider act more civilized, take more precautions to not brake anything etc.

So is it really the same job?

example : changing a door. If the door is really really expensive you know you will take more precautions than on a more ordinary door.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of the question I had the other day at dinner. Why is tipping a % - if I have a $10 steak and $2 soda, its $2.40 @ 20% BUT if I have a $20 steak and a $4 glass of beer, its $4.80 @ 20% - but what in the service has changed to explain paying more?

People with high income are generally charged higher prices because their demand for goods and services tends to be more inelastic than those individuals earning lower incomes.

Is it morally wrong to charge wealthier people higher prices for goods and services? Not in my opinion.
    Last edited by Blackaran; 2013-01-15 at 03:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Not illegal at all.

if it were, stores in wealthy neighborhoods wouldn't be allowed to charge more than in other neighborhoods. Yet they do.
    I'm almost certain that it's illegal here, in Denmark.
    Of course they still do it, and it's hard to find out, but doesn't change that you're not really allowed to do it.

Overall, the rich do hopefully pay a lot more in tax than the average person. If they also get charged for a lot more for all things on top of that, it becomes a bit of an extra tax for them.
    But i wouldn't mind the people that cheat in tax, had to pay a million euro pr apple, to they stopped cheating <.<
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Jamber View Post
    getting down to the crux of the matter, is this: You charge what you think you can get from them. That's the founding principle of capitalism. If they don't know that it's more than someone else is getting, it's their fault for being frivolous with their money and not shopping around, or finding reviews or past customers.

So, morally, no, it's not wrong. If they want it cheap, they would find it cheap. Legally, well, that's another matter entirely.

remember rich people are rich for a reason they are not frivolous with their money or they wont be rich for long. Sure you can charge what you want but the question is do you want to be called back to replace the next door they need or want to be replaced so the extra money you might get for charging more might keep you from getting more money later on
    also remember rich people have rich friends and rich peoples houses have more doors then the poor

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    remember rich people are rich for a reason they are not frivolous with their money or they wont be rich for long. Sure you can charge what you want but the question is do you want to be called back to replace the next door they need or want to be replaced so the extra money you might get for charging more might keep you from getting more money later on
    also remember rich people have rich friends and rich peoples houses have more doors then the poor
    This is very true, among certain nationalities word of mouth if heavily used.

10+ Year Old Account
    You must be new to the world of business... I live in a neighborhood considered among the "wealthiest" in San Antonio. If I were to buy gasoline from a Shell station nearby, I pay 10-15 cents more per gallon than if I drive to a Shell station about 10 miles away. The same goes for our local grocery store chain H.E.B. Identical products cost more at the one servicing my neighborhood. I could shop in other parts of town and come out of the store with a dramatically different bill. It's the same for everything. I pay a lawn service $240 every two weeks to mow, edge, bag and haul my grass clippings down to the street. My grandmother lives in a house in a less expensive part of town, but she has a yard twice the size of mine. Her yard crew only charges me $60 to do her land. Sadly, they can't get into my neighborhood because they're not licensed and bonded... or else I'd have those Hondurans over at my place!

So turn this question on it's head. Are you saying, it should be illegal to give someone a break who is in a tough financial spot?

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    It is the opposite here, the large fry at the one in the nicer part of town in $1.69 compared to $1.89

Newports also seem to cost more in the bad parts of town but that may be due to the stores being independent instead of something like a Circle K
    the reason stores in poorer nationhoods charge more is to make up for the loss they acquire because of shoplifting

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    But do they charge different customers different prices for the same items? That, if I am not mistaken, is referred to as discrimination.
    It's different when the person invoices per-job.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather charge less to poor people.

Owning a Carpet Cleaning Business, Iv cleaned tiny "poor" homes and apartments for pennies on the dollar, and if cleaned 1 bedroom is Rich rich rich neighborhoods for the mega wealthy, the size of the same apartment i cleaned, and have easily charged double. For several reasons:

1) On average I find the wealthy to be much more particular, often adding on extra work that I myself may not even do, ask for permits, ask for insurance, are particular with the service and how its delivered, harder to please.
    2) Everyone deserves, clean, disinfected carpet, I clean at times "poor" homes at cost, and not even make a profit to help those in need. I need to make my profits up somewhere, so the guy who makes 200,000 a year can afford to fit the bill.
    3) The wealthy are much harder to please, and often i find the wealthy people i deal with frugal, trying to spend less money and even try to get the service for free.
    4) Wealthy people get their money from somewhere, and somewhere down the line they are stepping on a little man, I like to even the odds a bit.

Its not wrong in my personal opinion. If you have money spend it. Often times, I run into wealthy people who brag on how much they spent, to the nearest wealthy person insight like its a competition, but hey, it grows my business.

Deleted
    It depends on the service, and how valuable it is to the person you're supplying it to. I'm not going to pay you £20 to mow my lawn, since that's more than I make in an hour. However, somebody making £50 an hour might see it as reasonable. As such, you'd be perfectly right to ask me for £10, and the rich guy next door for £20 for essentially the same service.