Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    the reason stores in poorer nationhoods charge more is to make up for the loss they acquire because of shoplifting
    How do you shoplift french fries?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Add my +1 to the wrong category. I used to paint over the summers during college, and one of the best ways we'd land jobs in wealthier areas was to simply charge what we always did. We'd normally come in 25% lower then the next guy.

Also by default wealthy areas usually have higher prices for goods / services.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Yes its wrong to charge them more for the same service but it is not wrong to tax them in higher %.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    No but that shouldn't matter. Most people my age that earn enough to be on the 20% tax bracket are there because they settled for mediocrity/what they have. That might suit some people fine, but people that apply themselves and contribute more to society monetarily shouldn't be punished financially for it.
    High taxes for the rich are not equal and they where never meant to be, they are meant to be fair.
    If you earn more money then the average working man (who also works very hard, only not behind a luxurious desk) then you can afford to miss more money aswell. You should see it as paying for the society that made it possible for you to be rich.

I don't say "Take all the rich people's money", I say "Take more from the rich then from the poor"*puts on feathered hat*

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    In your job... what is the job? Some places, like Internet Providers, home security etc... have higher prices in certain neighborhoods based off rate of crime and/or convenience of service to the location. It could be based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    High taxes for the rich are not equal and they where never meant to be, they are meant to be fair.
    If you earn more money then the average working man (who also works very hard, only not behind a luxurious desk) then you can afford to miss more money aswell. You should see it as paying for the society that made it possible for you to be rich.

I don't say "Take all the rich people's money", I say "Take more from the rich then from the poor"*puts on feathered hat*

Except the whole point of taxation is to pay for government. Not to punish someone for making more money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    In my job I do a decent amount of work in some nice exclusive areas where houses cost 10-20 times what mine is worth. One customer today just openly admitted that people charge them more because of the neighborhood.

I do not charge more and notice that a lot of the time they are actually really nice to you, on several occasions giving me tips of $50-100.

Is it wrong to charge someone more for the exact same item or service just because they have a huge house and or $100K + car in the driveway?
    No it isn't wrong, it's how the game is played ever since.
    One wouldn't necessarily call it charging them more... The wording is of importance here.

Let's say your usual charge is $40.00 per hour. You can assume that you will face little resistance from well situated customers. You will have a hard time however with people of lower income levels. With them you end up giving them a break in form of some kind of discount etc. Charging them essentially less than the rather wealthy guy. This is, if you have to rely on contracts from a broad range of customers. If you have the luxury to simply ignore the lower income regions you aren't overcharging.
    It would however be completely wrong, if you charge someone $60.00 for something you always charge $40.00, just because you know that they are rich as hell.
    But then, these kind of people usually won't go with you anyway. They know what they have to pay and realize when someone wants to overcharge em.
    on the contrary. If your rich customer has some extra challenging limitations present for you, in order to do the job, then it's legit to add a surcharge for the extra effort it requires you, in order to do the job.
    Like in Dude... You want me to replace your old deck with a new one, and you want me to make sure that your rare exotic orchids around the deck perimeter are absolutely unharmed? Well, that means I have to take extra measures and precaution to make sure that won't happen. Bam, upcharge.

ITT: Capitalism is fine, but only when you don't profit off of rich people

Capitalism is capitalism. How is it wrong to make a profit when you can?

This kind of stuff happens in both directions all the time. An apartment complex I was looking at awhile ago offered $200 a month off the price of rent if you met certain credit requirements. I don't know any poor people with an 800+ credit score, so it's pretty much the same thing in reverse.

Deleted
    I would say it's both morally right and wrong. Wrong to "punish" success. Right in the sense that everybody use the services available in the society we all built together, over a couple of thousand years. Be a buddy and help out if you can.

But then again, I'm dumb!

Quote Originally Posted by Beartastic View Post
    In your job... what is the job? Some places, like Internet Providers, home security etc... have higher prices in certain neighborhoods based off rate of crime and/or convenience of service to the location. It could be based on that.
    I install and repair garage doors. They have all kinds of options and prices, they start at $400-600 and can go over $10,000. The nicer more expensive ones I mark up more $wise because I use a % scale, the extra costs help cover it being heavy, special order and such.

Some of the biggest and nicest houses I have worked at the people we really nice, offer me a drink even ask if they can hand me anything when Im up on a ladder. Also a lot of them drove 10 + year old vehicles that were not highend like F150 or a Honda Odyssey.

Some are a different story, one person who I think was a drug dealer asked if I can take care of it ASAP and he will give me an extra $100 if I can be done before noon. I got it done and he pays the whole bill in tens and twenty dollar bills, never even looked at the work.

Big reason I do not work for a bank or for a finance department in a private company. Seems like this happens all the time and its called the "free market". God Bless America.

Would this be considered a form of racism but from a money side of it? Wealthism?Moneyism?Richism?

Its wrong to be wealthy, be dependent on government like they want

Nah, fuck it. Take everything you can, give nothing back.

Well, except your services in this case I suppose.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

If you do it and people buy from you anyway, then it's a success. If they don't you adjust or go out of business. There is no "wrong," there is no morality about it. It's business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    In my job I do a decent amount of work in some nice exclusive areas where houses cost 10-20 times what mine is worth. One customer today just openly admitted that people charge them more because of the neighborhood.

I do not charge more and notice that a lot of the time they are actually really nice to you, on several occasions giving me tips of $50-100.

Is it wrong to charge someone more for the exact same item or service just because they have a huge house and or $100K + car in the driveway?
    No. If you are doing the same service, you should charge the same. Just because they are rich, doesn't mean you should gouge them. If your service is good, they will recommend you to others and it will benefit your business.

Whether it is right or wrong is irrelevant at this point.

Look at the price of most stuff, they vary heavily based on the wealth of the area. Hell, look at Amazon.com, they change their price depending on where you are viewing it from and anything they catch in your cache to indicate you might pay more for it.

Look at the price of movies, music or goods many MANY companies charge different prices in different areas for. With movies they even attempt to region code and price them differently to divide it up.

Is it right or wrong? Yes, morally it is wrong, but it is also maximizing revenue and if you look around, there aren't many companies that take the moral high road and the ones that do, typically lose.

Deleted
    It's not only wrong, it's also illegal. But I'd do the same, and frankly sometimes I do. Oh well. Luckily I work in a business where the lines of time consumption and workload are fuzzy. But then again, I've always set a price before any work begins so people are free to walk away.

Pff this is really really vague....

First of what services and who is charging him more?

And no not everybody should pay the exact same for the same services......prices are based on cost and if that rich guy lives in a area where the cost is higher (travel time or something) then he should pay more, or if that guy lives in a area where companies need to make extra investments because for whatever reason then he needs to pay more.