Looking for some advice - goal: gold capping!

To start of, I don't quite know why, but since I've started playing wow, one of my main aims has been to get to gold cap.
    (yes, its pretty silly, but I also adore crafting for some reason!)
    I've been slowly working towards it, but can't quite feel that I'm doing something wrong.

Chars I've done
    Rogue(90) - 600/615 eng/ench - pretty hesitant to drop engy since its fun, but... fun doesn't usually equate to cash:P
    Druid(86) - 600/600 mining/herbalism
    Monk(84) - 600/600 alc/insc
    DK(81) - 600/615 insc/alc
    Priest(81) - 600/615 JC/ench
    Mage(80) - 600/615 tailor/ench
    Paladin(85) - 600/600 bs/mining
    Warrior(90) - 600/600 jc/mining
    Shaman(level 60) - 0/0 (probably level this up to 80, but not sure what to put on it at all.)
    I did plan on a hunter with leather/skinning, but gave up because I really didn't enjoy the class :x

What I've been doing thus far is just doing all the daily cds, but aside from the occasional dancing steel enchant sale, nothing really seems to be moving.
    I've tried the jc shuffle, but honestly I'm not quite sure I'm actually earning much, if at all >.>
    I suspect im trying to do too much and ending up losing out o.o
    If possible, what I'd like to know is what I could do better to get to cap more efficiently, and if it's worth dropping any proffessions to slot in more inscriptionists, as those seem to be steady cash from dmf decks. I've tried taking a look at undermine journal and such, but I'm honestly not sure what exactly I should be looking for.
    For extra info, I'm on moonguard horde, which probably isn't the best place to make bank, but there you have it!
    Also costs for changing professions aren't an issue, as i intend for this to be longterm, right now I have the time,but not the know how.
    Thank you in advance for any help, and I apologize for the terrible, terrible formatting.

edit: i figured i won't bump it since its fell down the page, but thank you tigger!
    it seems like the addon bit is ridiculously important, moved from auctioneer to a properly configured tsm and thats done wonders in itself!
    Last edited by Elegance; 2013-01-17 at 02:54 PM.

Deleted
    Gold capping is overrated and I think making gold has become even duller with dumbed down professions, bots and addons that are close to automation.

The best advice is to read and absorb peoples ideas and understand the basics are the same but how they pan out is different on all servers. Knowledge of your server is important. Read some more and apprciate how each profession works, always use the cd for each profession, vut I will list some fundamentals here.

1. Understand about how supply and demand works (opportunity cost as well).
    2. Identify markets where there is demand and items which people wnat to buy.
    3. Be able to sell as many of those items as possible (think big), make sure your costs of production are as low as possible to ensure max profitability.
    4. Make sure you are the cheapest and remain the cheapest. People are only interested in that for 97% of the time.
    5. Consider very carefully whether to remain in markets that are unprofitable and avoid making items at a loss, unless you have a clear plan.
    6. Repeat this for every profession, but start with easy ones like alchemy and enchanting.
    7. Continue to identify new markets. Food is a very good one for MOP.
    8. Know your competition.
    9. Get the right addons.
    10. be pateint, determined and persistent.
    11. Dont waste money.

Rinse and repeat till you get bored. Get gold cap. The more effort you put in then the more money you will make as long as you continue to be the cheapest and sell what people want. Gold cap on some servers is easy and others hard, so take it with a pinch of sale people who claim to make 1m in a week etc. The best customers tend to be those in raiding guilds who are min maxers and need the best.

If you're trying to do it soon, the only ones that will make you small amounts very quickly are JC/ench/alch, BS scribe and tailoring can make you a lot, but take longer. I would suggest a flask master. Even if you can only make 10-20g per flask, doing that for 50+ flasks 7 days a week adds up. It just depends on how much effort you put in. Assuming you have good meta cuts, your shuffle should be profitable. What you'll want to do is make a spreadsheet that shows you how much you pay per 5 ore, the average chance to get the three it takes for a meta, how many casts it "should" take to get enough for one meta, and see of that's less than your meta cut cost. Also I'm assuming since all you do is daily CDs you have a transmute so that helps.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegance View Post
    To start of, I don't quite know why, but since I've started playing wow, one of my main aims has been to get to gold cap.
    (yes, its pretty silly, but I also adore crafting for some reason!)
    I've been slowly working towards it, but can't quite feel that I'm doing something wrong.

Chars I've done
    Rogue(90) - 600/615 eng/ench - pretty hesitant to drop engy since its fun, but... fun doesn't usually equate to cash:P
    Druid(86) - 600/600 mining/herbalism
    Monk(84) - 600/600 alc/insc
    DK(81) - 600/615 insc/alc
    Priest(81) - 600/615 JC/ench
    Mage(80) - 600/615 tailor/ench
    Paladin(85) - 600/600 bs/mining
    Warrior(90) - 600/600 jc/mining
    Shaman(level 60) - 0/0 (probably level this up to 80, but not sure what to put on it at all.)
    I did plan on a hunter with leather/skinning, but gave up because I really didn't enjoy the class :x

What I've been doing thus far is just doing all the daily cds, but aside from the occasional dancing steel enchant sale, nothing really seems to be moving.
    I've tried the jc shuffle, but honestly I'm not quite sure I'm actually earning much, if at all >.>
    I suspect im trying to do too much and ending up losing out o.o
    If possible, what I'd like to know is what I could do better to get to cap more efficiently, and if it's worth dropping any proffessions to slot in more inscriptionists, as those seem to be steady cash from dmf decks. I've tried taking a look at undermine journal and such, but I'm honestly not sure what exactly I should be looking for.
    For extra info, I'm on moonguard horde, which probably isn't the best place to make bank, but there you have it!
    Also costs for changing professions aren't an issue, as i intend for this to be longterm, right now I have the time,but not the know how.
    Thank you in advance for any help, and I apologize for the terrible, terrible formatting.

edit: i figured i won't bump it since its fell down the page, but thank you tigger!
    it seems like the addon bit is ridiculously important, moved from auctioneer to a properly configured tsm and thats done wonders in itself!
    Yep, addons are crazy important in terms of improving efficiency. TSM is great, I'd also suggest looking around at the Consortium website as they have a variety of add ons/spreadsheets etc that can help streamline things a lot.

Honestly Tigger covered a lot of it, as for my own comments;
    Persistence counts a lot, gold earns more gold, your first 100k will be much slower than your second and so on and the same applies in higher sums, the more you earn the more you can make it work. Getting to that first million can take a while but persist and you'll get there.
    Don't burn yourself out, you are unlikely to be able to do everything, find a strategy that works for you in the the time you have.
    Don't be afraid to try new things/ideas.
    Use what you have, if you have profession CDs make sure to use them whenever they're up, if you can craft something worth selling craft it and sell it etc, seems obvious but people get bored of the repetitive stuff easily.
    Make sure you know your market inside out - this includes not only prices and values now and over time but also things like who your competition is and how they work, developing relationships with raw materials suppliers, knowing the good and bad times to post things and how to sell effectively in your market and so on.
    Keep up to date with wow news, knowledge is money.
    Take the time to think about how future changes in wow are going to impact on the economy and you - for example you talk about more scribes to make more DMC, but with 5.2 coming closer is it likely the market for trinkets will remain where it is now?

In terms of good threads here to read I suggest: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ight=sterling1

It goes through a lot of the stuff you can be doing to really maximise your earnings. Making use of those things has been really important to me this xpac. Servers vary of course but my personal experience has been that the gating of a lot of profession stuff behind dailies and harmonies combined with the gating of the rates at which people started raiding and obtaining gear has made having tons of profession alts less useful than they were previously (except for the scribes, which I admittedly have many of and have made a lot with via decks), this has led to me being a lot less reliant on simply crafting than I have been in the past, and a much larger percentage of my income is coming from flipping and similar ah play type strategies (but also to be fair I'm coming from a position where I can invest large sums in harder to sell things and take time selling them for eventual profit, I appreciate not everyone is in that position, I wouldn't advise doing that until you have a pretty comfortable nest egg to play with, and be careful when you start).

Good luck!
    Last edited by Windfury; 2013-01-18 at 02:49 PM.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can help you maybe.

there might be forums explaining how to get gold capped, but most people who are truely into making gold are multiboxing.

This means you have to pay for extra wow accounts, I know loads of multiboxers, as I am one myself, and have well over 2 million gold with little effort.

Example, while a person who likes to make gems, uses 1 character to prospect ore, possible uses another on same account to de items etc, all this is time consuming and a lot of down time.

boxers use between 3 to 5 accounts at once to prospect ore, 2-3 too de jewellery at once, 1 can maybe sit in AH listing, inbetween all this, or you can mix it up like I do,

prospect x2 accounts, mill x2 accounts x1 de.

5 accounts in total, all doing something same or different all at same time.

/10 inscribes intotal I have.
    10 that xmute

Thats a mass amount of gold incoming per day with little effort, some friends now multibox x2 and x3 accounts for sole puprose of making a tonne of gold with little effort. ANd still raiding, pvping etc and buying anything we desire from backmarket AH without caring for price.

You can make gold on a single account but you will never make as much or as fats by multiple accounts.
    A woman should never invest in a relationship she wouldn't want her daughter in, nor allow any man to treat her in a way her son would get scoled for.

Deleted
    I was kind of into gold making but no multiboxing needed. Like playing football but having 33 players on the pitch. Unless you sell the gold to gold sellers, then whats the achievement if you buy your way there? Insane imo if you are paying for 5 accounts to make imaginary gold. Thats a mid market pc every year.

A lot is server dependent, but if the OP learns how things works then he can achieve gold cap .

Mission claims you cant make as much on a single account as on a multiple account, which is untrue. More importnat than how many accounts you are pating for is the brain running the account.

No multiboxing needed for sure, made my 7,000,000g+ without more than 1 account and using 4-5 markets across 3 toons.

You have more than enough professions to do it and for sure check out TSM as an addon to use. Also, check out the transmog market. More info can be found on my site for gold making about it for FREE.

TSM + as many professions as you want.

I'm not capped at the moment, haven't been since they raised it, but the principle is pretty simple. Just depends how long you want it to take! At my current rate will take quite a while... but hey, I'm a casual baddie

Anyway, the following is based off my servers market:

Inscription - Painfully slow, annoying to setup, but turns a steady profit. After making 200+ glyphs to post on the AH, I didn't recoup my inital outlay for nearly a week, but now it's steady gold. At most 1k per day, but takes very little effort to maintain thanks to TSM. I'm a bit lazy and just mill MOP herbs then trade the inks. TSM says it's cheaper to buy the old world herbs, but they don't give me starlight inks! I often just AH the starlights for 50-60g each (Market value is 90g). Reason being, at around 50gold, they sell, at 90, they don't! Don't be scared by Inscription, with TSM you can post/cancel Auctions really fast so all you need to do is log in during peak times to cancel/re-post. The more often you do it, the more you make, but you don't need to camp the AH all day, just be around during "rush hour". Re-stocking can take a bit longer, but no longer than JC.

Alchemy - Only have one, and it's a Xmute. Living steel isn't selling very, (as in it often doesn't). There's just more supply than demand. I Xmute Trillium quite often from Ghost Iron as the procs make it cost effective, but I'm tempted to swap to Elixirs spec. Flasks sell faster than any Xmute's and Golden Lotus is free from my farms. I don't bother with making rare gems. Their price can fluctuate by over 100g and are very slow to move when the price is high (perfects become more economical to cut). Meta's haven't been profitable for a long time either. Think I just break even if I proc a single.

Jewelcrafting - I've pretty much given up on JC. Like Inscription, it's become more of a babysit market than it once was, and you can end up sitting on gems for days due to the prices crashing. Lots of competition and deep undercutting has made it more hassle than it's worth given all the time you need to spend prospecting. I haven't prospected for a few weeks now and the golds still coming in steadily so probably wont bother again. Maybe in 5.2

BS/Tailor/LW - Using TSM, just keep 1 of each PvP set listed at all times. Prices are still well above mats costs. Not sure it's worth bothering with epics (assuming you have the Harmony anyway). Admittedly I'm behind on crafting professions so don't have my hand in all the markets. Item enhancements may/may not be profitable at the moment.

Engineering - The Ghost Iron trinket sells alright, but don't see that lasting. I don't make anything from Engineering, it's just my fun profession. I could start selling the guns, but prefer not to use my motes in that market.

Gathering - I gather a few times per week. My gatherer isn't my main so I can't justify it by saying it's to kill the time waiting for LFR, I just do it for the sake of doing it. my alt Guild Bank is pretty stocked with Herbs/Ore for when the Market's up. Green Leaf Tea for example, can range from 1g per to 4g per. Keeping a healthy supply in stock means when the AH runs low I can still re-supply my Inks/Flasks and also can cash in on the high prices. I only farm for 2 hours or so at a time, 3 days a week.... basically when I've got nothing better to do!

Fishing - Like gathering, people probably see it as painful, but it turns a healthy profit. This is what I do while waiting for LFR ques. The Golden Carp I turn into groceries for Iron Paw tokens which I turn into Soy Sauce which I AH for 100g per. The other Fish I just sell in stacks. 120g for a stack of 20 fish aint bad money.

Cooking - I don't bother. Most foods/feasts sell for below Mats costs.

Bare in mind, I'm now a "casual" WOW player. Life eventually caught up with me and I can no longer raid, therefore my outgoings are much less aswell. Yes I still Gem/Chant/Reforge my main but I don't min/max which keeps costs waaay down. As such, I'm happy with my current progress of making ~20k+ per week (profit) because I'm not spending it.

You can also try AH fliping (buy low sell high) and Auctioneer is great for that, but the last time I had success with it was WOTLK. Is till flip the odd things, but I go for quality not quantity.
    Last edited by Dakara; 2013-01-18 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks for the responses everyone, that was way more than I'd hoped for!
    After reading stormspire, what I've been doing so far as enchanting mainly with some engineering on the side which has been turning in unexpected earnings :P
    I'll probably avoid inscription and flipping for now, since my capital isn't big enoough yet I'd feel comfortable investing that much! I might still drop ench for insc on my jc/tailor though, since the cards are tempting... but so is the convenience of not needing to mail to DE.

Quote Originally Posted by wiammaren View Post
    You have more than enough professions to do it and for sure check out TSM as an addon to use.
    Yep, did that and it's worked out really well so far, only thing I miss is auctioneers disenchant search, I can't seem to get tsms to work the same way!

I gold capped back in Cata (around the time Firelands came out) purely out of sheer boredom and lack of any interest in raiding (after I was done with heroic T11 progression).

My advice to you is the following:

1) Diversification. Instead of finding 5-6 highly profitable items to craft and sell, try to identify 50-60 low-mid profitable items that sell fast. If you are posting 5 items and only 1 sells, it is demotivating. You post 50 and 12 sell? Not so bad.

2) Invest wisely. Raw materials are going to be what dictates your profit margins. If you find someone selling materials in bulk (herbs, inks, enchant mats, ore), buy it all even if you don't need it. Chuck it in a guild bank somewhere. It will bring your overall cost of production down and increase your profit margins.

3) Monitor your competition in individual markets (Undermine Journal is useful here). Don't be one of the "cancel-repost" bots who mindlessly spam the AH and still find that they don't sell much. Track the patterns of your competition and undercut them viciously or smartly depending on what is needed. I have had cases where I brought average glyph prices down from 100-150g to 20g just to muscle out competition. It works on some people but not all. Still...it's profits!

4) Invest some time in picking up recipes that most other people will not have. Heirloom enchants, out of the way Alchemy potions, twink gear etc. Niche markets but they remain highly profitable.

5) Finally, volumes. I touched upon this earlier as well, but the fact remains. If you are serious about gold capping, you need to be absolutely crafting your ass off. Spam the AH with so much stuff that you lose track of everything you're selling. Literally. I've had 300-400 auctions going at a time, minimum. And that's not a lot. Some of my major competitors on the AH have had around 1200-1500 auctions going at once (not including the 1 dustx100 jerks).

Have to agree with the guy above here ;>

Deleted
    The Inscription Shuffle is currently my main method of making money. Would not surprise me if it got nerfed soon, apparently botters are now using it instead of selling herbs the traditional way.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    The Inscription Shuffle is currently my main method of making money. Would not surprise me if it got nerfed soon, apparently botters are now using it instead of selling herbs the traditional way.
    Yea I'm amazed vendering gems got nerfed in the Cata Ore shuffle yet the same hasn't happened to inscription.... not that I'm complaining!

Deleted
    My only advice would be "Time is money my friend".

More time you put in the more you do earn

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post

I'm not sure where people are getting the herbs so cheap though. Even Green Tea Leaf on my server is still 35g a stack. Can't get anything for 15-20 that I've seen.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    I'm not sure where people are getting the herbs so cheap though. Even Green Tea Leaf on my server is still 35g a stack. Can't get anything for 15-20 that I've seen.
    I'm on Cho'gall on the horde side, I pay ~35g/stack for Green Tea, Rain Poppy, Desecrated, and Silk. ~45g/stack for Snow Lily and ~100g/stack for Fool's Cap. My scribe has 100% of the recipes and I use the 35g herbs for that, Snow Lily and Fool's Cap even at those prices I make a killing selling raid pots. All of our farmers are about at the price range I buy at and I've not seen any lower in the last probably 3 months. As long as you set your thresholds on TSM properly price is sortive moot. I don't post any glyphs under 40g each yet I can sell 40-100 a day anywhere from 40-250g.

The main problem now is I'm suspecting most of my competition is probably botting since a few of the glyph people seem to rarely log off, and there is 1 in particular that is now in just about every market I've either been in or have attempted to get in, using just the 1 char. Not whining or calling anyone out, just a heads up if your server has an "active" AH community as you will need to spend a ton of time in the auction interface to get anywhere reasonable.