Aftermath of a strange crash...

Alright, this is my second thread in the computer forum today, which cannot be a good sign :P
    Anyways, long story short, I just came home from a long Xmass holiday. I played metro 2033 just fine, nothing strange, then some Torchlight 2,
    After a while and because I wanted to avoid unwanted attention from some friends I switched Steam to offline and tried to run TL2 again.
    This is where the shit hit the fan. The PC locked up for a few seconds and immediately restarted by itself. After restarting it would freeze at the windows loading screen forever (However the sound kept going, and I could even log in using the keyboard and even play music.)
    After some hard resets I got a Windows failed to boot error and a prompt to use Windows repair, but nothing changed after I let it run.
    Tried repair again, this time with the windows CD, and a System Restore. Same thing again. At that point I had no Internet con other than my non working PC
    and thus no help, so I said what the heck let's try a format and proceeded to do so.
    After the format everything seemed to be normal but after I installed the GPU drivers the same thing happened again. This is when it hit me that it was a GPU card failure or driver issues and proceeded to open the case to check things up. I removed it and put it back in and now works like a charm,
    but this is whats bugging me: I THINK that one of the PSU 6-pins was slightly off before i removed it. Thing is I also did this with the RAM as well so I'm not sure if this is the issue as well.
    Could the culprit be the slightly off 6-pin cable? Or would the GPU not work at all if the second 6-pin was not connected? What else could it be?
    I noted the fact that I was away for a long holiday because the levels of humidity here are crazy. Could it be affecting the GPU or some other part? What can I do to get more info?
    Some specs:
    GPU: 660TI FPB by EVGA
    MOBO: Asus P6T SE
    CPU: Intel Core i7 920
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Feel free to ask for more info and thanks in advance!
    EDIT: Forgot to add my PSU specs: Chieftech 650 watt (At this point I can't check for more info because I will have to reopen my case and
    it will make some noise thus waking my GF but if it's necessary I will. It's a modular one.)
    Last edited by Marthenil; 2013-01-14 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Count_Satyros View Post
    Could the culprit be the slightly off 6-pin cable? Or would the GPU not work at all if the second 6-pin was not connected?
    Yes and yes. If the graphics card isn't getting enough power it would crash in the way you explained when starting a 3D accelerated program such as game. It could be also PSU or boot disc failing (neither of those like excessive humidity) but it's really hard to tell for sure.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.