15+ Year Old Account

Hunter and endgame PvP and PvE

I will probably mainly play PvP, but I do enjoy taking a little break from it and do some PvE.

I've played Rogue all expansions, and got tired as hell of it. Now I wanted to try a Hunter, he is 86 using BM, which is fine. However it's a little boring to rely on your pet, and not making it die otherwise you become useless.

But I hear many are saying that either BM are only good and MM/Suv Are garbage specs. But I also hear BM is garbage, and MM/Surv are good specs.

I cant see, when we got silence shot, Beatial Wrath and the other control effects, that MM or Surv should be any better?

can anyone enlighten me?

MM lacks control. It has nothing valuable in terms of CC/CC counter. The only thing is the MM slow which doesn't even compare to the Stun and Wrath of BM. Survival lacks burst. It would take you a few minutes do take down anyone as survival hunter, which means you will be long dead before.

The only viable option at the moment is BM since Blizzard decided that Burst should be the new defining factor of skill in PvP. PvE wise hunter struggle to stay middle of the pack. I can't think of another time when hunters were so bad for so long.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    BM was really OP for a while with Stampede bug, so it's not been THAT long.
    Can't really say anything about high ratings, but BM does seem to be best in PvP now.
    Old Gods made me do it.

15+ Year Old Account
    So in PvP BM Hunter is quite good, while the Hunter ain't that good in PvE overall?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, there's a lot of arguement if we're bad or ok in PvE.
    I think we're a little bit low but not broken or impossible. Except for MM, MM is currently weak in PvE.
    Old Gods made me do it.

Not too good not too bad. In the middle of tha pack. Very much depends on the encounter. And your skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    So in PvP BM Hunter is quite good, while the Hunter ain't that good in PvE overall?
    When stampede was broken i was carrying guild mates in arena for conq cap. It was stupidly easy to solo the other team. This hurt us a lot in the long run. We got nerfed hard and Blizzard are still hesitant to buff our sustain.

Many people speak out loudly for stronger Signature shots for all specs. Just like with the rogues, too much of our DPS comes from passive autoshot/pet damage/arcane shot dump. This lowers the skill cap as a result. Mashing buttons isn't fun either.

I have been tanking for my guild for the last month since my hunter feels under powered in most fights and we'd rather have Mage/Lock instead.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-02-05 at 01:57 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The reason I went for Hunter is because I really haven't played them endgame. They can be semi-stealth, and use Energy (focus) so they are very similar to Hunters regarding that.

I'm tired of seeing daggers, tired of having a role to stun and vanish. Tired of making mostly Auto Attacks due to slow energy regen.

I miss big 2 handers of DW swords, but I also play a little DK. He feel very rotation-demanding, a little boring to be honest.

I'm not a FoTM, and does not look for a BiS character to level up :P I'm just looking for a class that won't get one shoted, has survivability, and is fun to play.
    Last edited by Phurox; 2013-02-05 at 01:58 PM.

Hunters are fine in PvE in my opinion. People say that they are weak but I think it's just that Warlocks and Mages are too strong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    Hunters are fine in PvE in my opinion. People say that they are weak but I think it's just that Warlocks and Mages are too strong.

This is true imho. The fact that some classes/specs are way over the top means that other classes seem middle of the pack at best. That and the insane vengeance stacking on some tanks providing massive dps for a long time doesnt help much.

Hunters are OK in PVE if you are prepared to have 2 specs. BM for single target/burst fights and SV for massive AOE and/or some cleave.

For the people that put into their minds that they only have one prefered spec, those people will be disapointed in some fights or others. SV is weakish in single target/brust and BM is rather weak in AOE, if you just stick to one spec for the whole raiding tier you will be sad in some encounters. If you re-spec on the go before each encounter and change between both specs acording to the boss fight you will be ok.
    Last edited by mmoc40e5aa3799; 2013-02-05 at 02:07 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    So we are fine in PvE and strong in PvP?

Quote Originally Posted by knightpt View Post
    Hunters are OK in PVE if you are prepared to have 2 specs. BM for single target/burst fights and SV for massive AOE and/or some cleave.
    And absolutely nothing for the other 10 fights of the tier. Hunters have always had spec that was around top 5 every tier except now. Now we are 9th or below.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    Hunters are only fine fight now if it's ok with you that they're weaker then they've ever been. I hear a lot of people complain about hunters during ds tier, but i was doing awesome damage that entire tier. Right now, idk i never felt weaker.