Wondering, before I buy, if my computer can handle GW2

Nevermind. I decided I'm done with MMOs.
    Last edited by Psilocybian; 2013-01-31 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psilocybian View Post
    I know there is a stickied thread for this, but for the past 50 questions in that thread there have been maybe 5 answers, so I thought it unlikely that anyone would respond had I posted there. Besides, judging from recent posts, that thread basically seems like an excuse for people to brag about their systems. I'm not really in a position right now to throw away money on a game my computer can't run (by run, I mean 40+ fps in outside of cities/raids and at least 15 fps in highly populated areas or 20+ player raids, on low settings), but I quit WoW 6 months ago after playing for 7 years and have no desire to play amongst pandas, nor time for 3 night per week raiding. GW2 looks like exactly what I want out of a game right now. Anyways, to the point. These are my system specs. I'm most concerned about my RAM, which cannot be upgraded due to the fact that my motherboard's physical capacity is 2GB.

Windows 7 32-bit
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3ghz
    GeForce GTS 250 1gb
    2gb RAM
    1600x900 resolution

I know my computer can physically run the game at a "playable" level (though people have differing ideas on what "playable" means), but I want to get an idea of how well I can expect the game to run. Preferably input from other people running the game with similar systems. As I said I am most concerned about my ram. I appreciate any input, thanks for your help!
    The Resolution will lower ur fps by a lot.

My Computer Spec Is
    Motherboard: Foxconn A74GA
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) II X2 B22 Processor 2.80ghz
    RAM: 6GB DDR3 PC3-10600
    Video Card: Sapphire AMD Radeon 6450 1GB DDR3
    Resolution: 1280 x 1024.

And I get around 25-30fps on the most low settings.
    Here is a video of me fighting the shatterer on my current computer. also to add if your paying over 250$ for that setup you are paying to much. My setup cost me around 220$ about 8 months back. Got a cheap setup cause i needed a new computer asap.

Also check out http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri and see what it says when testing to see if you can run GW2 or any other game.

Fraps kills my fps so on that fight with fraps on i had like 7fps but without it I run around 15-20fps. it is playable but your settings will need to be the most low. also that resolution will need to be lower as well. but as i said it will be playable.

Only thing I don't know about is if your video card would be able to do it im sure it could on low settings but I don't know anything about Geforce only AMD/ATI

Edit: As for your question about your ram as long as your not running anything in the background like Firefox/IE/Chrome or any other programs that eat up a lot of ram you should be ok on that.

Edit 2: To sum it would at most I would say you would get 25fps in most places in guild wars and on world boss's like the shatterer you will get around 10-15 but that's a guess cause I personally do not know how good your video card is.

Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-01-15 at 09:52 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Well I've had this computer for about 6 years now, I don't even remember what it cost. And 1600x900 is my monitor's native resolution, anything lower and I'd rather just not even play. Thanks for your response friend!
    Np at all if you mess with the settings at that res you mite get around 20fps or so. I just do know higher the res lower the fps "depending on hardware"

Lowering the resolution may not effect it much its been awhile since I messed with it myself. but at most I say you would get 25fps now if that's playable for you you will enjoy it.

Only reason my FPS was as low as i said in that video cause it seemed like that day everyone showed up to kill him LOL. But I do got 1 other world boss video I did I was getting around 15fps with fraps on if you want me to link it I will.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-01-15 at 10:02 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Guest pass would be amazing man! I was looking for a way to get a free trial, for the purpose of testing out my system performance, but it seems that ended back in November. That would be VERY appreciated
    I looked and sadly I don't have choice to do it mite have only been for a few days.

reread my last post added a bit to it and as I said check out that site I use it all the time to see if my computer can run a game.

Are you referring to fps while in cities, by yourself outside of cities, or with several other players? In WoW I could get 60 fps on near maxed settings while by myself in a world zone, but as low as 15-20 fps in cities or a 25man raid on low settings.
    Around 20-25 out in the world and doing events. around 15-20 in cities and maybe around 25 in dungeons. but with ur video card i just don't know.

Wow on max dose not even touch Guild Wars 2 on mid settings when it comes to hardware use.

Guild Wars 2 is way more of a hardware hog then what WOW is in all ways.

If it helps any I run SWTOR around the same fps so you could download SWTOR try it out and if you can run it half way decent then you will run GW2 about the same if not a little less.

That shatterer event is out in the world and with fraps off I would get around 15fps with that many people there. There was about 50 people total at that time then there was a ton of add's and the big dragon himself.

I'm running the game just fine with minimal lag with

Windows 8
    HP 2.2GHZ Dual Core E2200 or something
    nVidia 9800GT
    2GB ram

Dunno rest but only thing I find is loading screen can take anywhere from 10-20 odd seconds which isn't too bad. I have a shit PC but its still over the specs required and its fine. If I can run it, you can too!

Deleted
    I'm playing using the Mac beta client on a MacBook Air 2011, with Intel HD 3000 graphics. The frame rate hardly drops below 20 FPS, and loading times are very fast - rarely more than 3-4 seconds, probably down to the SSD storage. But it's far from the most modern or fastests machines, and ive generally found it very playable and stable, albeit on the lowest settings.

Last edited by Psilocybian; 2013-01-31 at 02:48 AM.

I know my computer can physically run the game at a "playable" level (though people have differing ideas on what "playable" means), but I want to get an idea of how well I can expect the game to run. Preferably input from other people running the game with similar systems. As I said I am most concerned about my ram. I appreciate any input, thanks for your help!
    I'm running GW2 with the following specs:

Windows 7 pro 32 bit
    Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6ghz
    2 GB ram
    1 GB ATI HD 5600
    Resolution: 1440 x 900 with AA off, shadows off and medium draw distance in the graphics options. Everything else in the options I left them at whatever the game picked for my system. I don't run any other background apps and anti virus is off while I play.

I don't know about consistently getting 40+ fps that you mentioned...but out questing my fps range from the mid 30s to low 40s. When I go to the Black Citadel (a capital city) it'll run somewhere between 16-20 fps. In Lion's Arch, which is the hub of hubs, I'll get 14-18 fps...but it's to be expected since most players congregate there. The huuuge Kraken event couple months back was a slideshow due to the sheer number of bodies around, but that event was a slide show for everybody since it might have been a problem on Anet's end. The Winterday event we just had I played all the events with zero issues. For the most part game play feels fairly seamless for me when I'm out questing and as some one else mentioned just have a wait some extra seconds for stuff to load up when you're zoning into a new map, but once it does it's not too bad. (For me, "bad" is feeling like power point slides "bad"...ymmv.) The only thing I can't really vouch for is pvp in WvW. I've been in there, but not during peak...it's about 18-20 fps for me when I go (play off peak sometimes), but I would imagine if you're rolling into a large scrum with all kinds of aoe, spell effects flying around expect your fps to tank.

It's a fun game even on a system that skirting the low end of its system requirements. Hope this helps you some.

Edit: I don't know about using swtor as a guide of how well GW2 might run for the OP. Think they both have similar min specs, but GW2 runs wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than swtor on my system. I get similar frames with regards to same types of areas, but GW2 is just eons more stable on my system. Until I found a work around, swtor was crashing every two hours whereas I was gaming for about 4 hours with zero problems in GW2. Not trying to turn it into a game v. game thread, I don't want the OP to try out swtor, encounter the same problems and come away with an assumption that that's how well GW2 will run. :P
    Last edited by catcommando; 2013-01-15 at 08:54 PM.

Last edited by Psilocybian; 2013-01-31 at 02:48 AM.

You're welcome! re: server suggestions. I play on a pretty high pop server (Tarnished Coast) so someone who actually plays on a medium pop server is going to have to help you there.

If none are forthcoming you may want to take a look at the WvW rankings and maybe consider a server somewhere in the middle of the pack:
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...Ratings-Jan-11

First graphic lists NA servers, and the second lists the EU ones. Server transfers are currently free so the assumption in going with WvW rankings is that more opportunistic pvp players are server hopping to winning servers. When you get into the game for the first time, you'll see a lot of the servers near the top of the WvW rankings listed as full. Something towards the middle of the pack might be more amenable and also easier to get in.

If you're a more social player, maybe consider going through the guild subforum on the official site and pick a server that has a concentration of guilds that might appeal to you?

re: not being able to zone into the main cities during peak hours. My old comp has never screamed out in terror and crashed to desktop when entering a high pop zone like Lion's Arch during peak hours on the Tarnished Coast. Anet has a pretty neat system in place where if a map hits a certain capacity of bodies, it's going to spawn a new instance of that same map called an overflow and anybody new zoning in will be placed in these overflow areas. Once you're there you're placed in a queue to enter the main map, and when your number is up the game will ask if you want to transfer to the main map. If I'm in Lion's Arch, I usually decline since I like being in the less populated overflow map. :P. You'll likely only ever see these overflow maps in Lion's Arch or during world events.
    Last edited by catcommando; 2013-01-16 at 04:42 AM.