Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    What is wrong is his statement. "there is a small difference between mf gear and other gear when min-maxing."
    There's quite a significant difference due to how power/prec/crit scale. You lose the most important stat (crit) when you grab the equivalent mf gear.

If he simply said "I rock mf gear since It's still ok dmg while giving me slightly better drops" I would agree, but stating mf vs berserker doesn't matter from a min-maxing standpoint is simply wrong.
    I did not know berserker had NO defensive stat, I always figured it was like the PvP amulet where it had a tiny amount of toughness thrown on there (or is it vit?) and an added boost to the other ones to compensate...

My bad...

@Kel, well simple, you're wanting lots of money so you can run around with 6 legendaries and the T3 cultural armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I hated the humam cultural armor. Well the Light armor anyways. Far, far too much skin showing. Much prefer the idea of actually, y'know, getting dressed before battle? Hard concept, I know. And no, the irony that I say this while playing a Mesmer is not lost on me.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    What is wrong is his statement. "there is a small difference between mf gear and other gear when min-maxing."
    There's quite a significant difference due to how power/prec/crit scale. You lose the most important stat (crit) when you grab the equivalent mf gear.

If he simply said "I rock mf gear since It's still ok dmg while giving me slightly better drops" I would agree, but stating mf vs berserker doesn't matter from a min-maxing standpoint is simply wrong.
    Is min maxing as important as say doing t11 HC in wow and every % of extra dps mattered? That's whay I meant, should have said that the difference is small enough that I don't feel the need to min/max.

And I use MF gear to get better looking gear. Or better mats to make better looking gear. Makes sense to me.

I liked all of the Human cultural armor except the underboob+pajamas outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    -snip-

Er, I'm not complaining about not being able to craft it for myself, or saying I don't have the mats, and I certainly have no shortage of gold (thanks, TP). Just pointing out the costs in the fairest way possible. But yeah, let's discuss the 130 of the item that is vendor bought instead of that little item in the middle of the list that says 70 Globs of Ectoplasm.
    70 globs of Ecto are of course the highest "problem there", but sure let's have a look at it. As you said not a problem of crafting, not saying you don't have the mats nor even the gold (because everything is very easy to sell). So really...by 80 and a few events in Orr you should have about 35 ectos (Happened to me in several characters), and that's good enough to start. (probably crafts half your gear without using much gold actually). Ectos are 35silver a piece, that's pretty reasonable and very easy to obtain either buying or farming a bit (I wouldn't even say farming since just from doing a few events it's very likely to get 3 ectos).

but really"

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    I think people are missing my point, even when it's in the quote they use... I'm not saying gearing is a significant grind, I'm not saying having exotics is even important, I'm just calling people out on their bullshit that exotics are easy to obtain (still not seen a single drop in 500 hours playtime), cheap, easy to craft, or whatever other erroneous comment they found up one of their orifices.
    This is what confuses me cause it sounds to me you are literally saying nothing then...out of an orifice as well. You are not complaining not being able to craft, not because you don't have mats, certainly have no shortage of gold. I know you are pointing the costs, but exotics are easy to obtain if you play the game, granted it's really rare on drops but else where it's pretty much raining on you one way or another. Even my wife (which actually laughed at your comment) who /played a lil over 100 hours (many hours of afk), fails hard at this game and never really went to Orr. She has at least 1 dropped exotic shield, 1 exotic from karka event, 1 exotic from a chest dungeon and 1 exotic from Halloween (I think it's the one from Jumping puzzle) and at least 40 ecto globs. She never bought anything from TP mat wise.

So no, it's not bullshit to say exotics are easy to obtain hence why everyone has it.
    Last edited by Zilong; 2013-01-23 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    And I use MF gear to get better looking gear. Or better mats to make better looking gear. Makes sense to me.
    Magic find is nearly useless in this game, though, since it doesn't affect chest drops and open world monster grinding has been nerfed to the ground with the anti-bot code.

Any solo farming will probably benefit more from faster killing (the damage difference between Berserker's and magic find is *huge* for a lot of crit pumping direct damage builds) or more survivability (can pull more mobs = more damage, can be careless with pulling = faster grinding). In dungeons, well, I use Berserker's on all my chars but in pugs it seems like most people would make a profit out of using something with more survival stats and not paying so much repairs...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I hated the humam cultural armor. Well the Light armor anyways. Far, far too much skin showing. Much prefer the idea of actually, y'know, getting dressed before battle? Hard concept, I know. And no, the irony that I say this while playing a Mesmer is not lost on me.
    I've been in love with the human T2 cultural light armor since the first time I saw it. I just adore that masquerade look. I see what you mean about T3. T1 is very concealing, although dull. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yeah, that was actually one of the determining factors in my not going with a human leather wearer. Norn cultural leather is sexy as Hell though.

I picked a Norn too based on cultural armors. Also because I don't enjoy playing creatures/monster races. So really I would only ever play a Human or Norn.

However, when I saw the fanny pack on the Norn medium armor t3 cultural set in game, my heart sank. Not at all fair.

My favorite armor in the game is probably the Human Heavy T3 cultural armor.

My favorites are Asura T2 medium, Human T2 light, Sylvari T2 light, Sylvari T3 heavy, Norn T3 heavy, Norn T1 & T3 medium.

Unfortunately, I'll be lucky to afford to get one character in T3 let alone the three I want. x_X

Is min maxing as important as say doing t11 HC in wow and every % of extra dps mattered? That's what I meant, should have said that the difference is small enough that I don't feel the need to min/max.
    This is a pretty useless point, many people in WoW think min-maxing doesn't matter either. They don't get the best gems or the best enchants since "it's not bis" and all that BS. Another one here (which loads of people don't do) prepotting, using channel skills before combat so they hit as ppl pull and so on are also part of min-maxing yet very few people use these "tricks".

Min-maxing comes from your personal mind set, the only difference with WoW vs GW2 is that in WoW guilds will boot you and that since you're with more people the small percentages add up to a bigger difference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I always felt casters may use more eccentric gear that shows some skin due to thier more exotic nature.

Something along the line of:

or

That being said underboob is disgusting, the posite is the male light robes that make me feel like Hugh Hefner out for a walk.

This is a pretty useless point, many people in WoW think min-maxing doesn't matter either.
    It mattered to me, in wow I always felt I need to be on the bleeding edge of progression. And having to keep two specs up to par for heroic was a pain. Here I don't feel the need to look up gear-ranking sites, I don't even know if there' such a thing as stat weight.
    Last edited by mmoc94e579c637; 2013-01-24 at 08:47 AM.

For certain profs I understand skimpy armour. Casters want to sort of be mobile and have the elements to protect them.
    For holy warrior profs I understand divine intervention protecting them or something
    For normal warriors though I agree that all the shown skin is weird. For melee medium armors I can understand it from a stealth sort of perspective, you need to cover up so you don't stand out.
    It mattered to me, in wow I always felt I need to be on the bleeding edge of progression. And having to keep two specs up to par for heroic was a pain. Here I don't feel the need to look up gear-ranking sites, I don't even know if there' such a thing as stat weight.
    Yes you. This doesn't mean it isn't worth it overall. Min maxing is just as important in GW2 as it is in WoW, the only difference is that you (personally) don't find it worth it.
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2013-01-24 at 09:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know when it comes to armor I prefer the "skimpy" armor on all my casters because I figure that isn't what is actually protecting them but wards and that are instead...

For my medium armor characters I like having a good amount of armor on them with -some- skin showing because c'mon, you need to be able to have free movement because of the whole relying on move ability thing...

For my heavy armor characters (when/if I have one) if there is any skin showing I get mad, they protect themselves via a skin of steel, nothing else, and as such shouldn't be wearing skimpy armor.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I don't mind skimpy armor on casters because I was subjected to full coverage, frumpy armor for far too long in other games. I never understood why just because you're a magic user you needed to dress like a monk. My armor's not there for protection anyway, it's just for stats, so I may as well look good. :P

I know the skimpy armor phenomenon has existed for quite a long time among plate wearers, but for cloth it's only been since Tera that I've seen anything other than long-sleeved, full length robes available. Hell, even pants are a novelty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I don't mind skimpy armor on casters because I was subjected to full coverage, frumpy armor for far too long in other games. I never understood why just because you're a magic user you needed to dress like a monk. My armor's not there for protection anyway, it's just for stats, so I may as well look good. :P

I know the skimpy armor phenomenon has existed for quite a long time among plate wearers, but for cloth it's only been since Tera that I've seen anything other than long-sleeved, full length robes available. Hell, even pants are a novelty.
    You know what i've wanted to see for a long time for casters? Shorts, why is everything pants? I know GW2 has like 1 or 2 options that aren't pants (which is AWESOME!) but i agree, a caster shouldn't need to wear robes, and hell a lot of robes would get in the way of movement to begin with...

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    I know when it comes to armor I prefer the "skimpy" armor on all my casters because I figure that isn't what is actually protecting them but wards and that are instead...

For my medium armor characters I like having a good amount of armor on them with -some- skin showing because c'mon, you need to be able to have free movement because of the whole relying on move ability thing...

For my heavy armor characters (when/if I have one) if there is any skin showing I get mad, they protect themselves via a skin of steel, nothing else, and as such shouldn't be wearing skimpy armor.
    that's cool - so basically you RP when it comes to armor

this is a fantasy game

my females need to look HOT AND DANGEROUS

my males need to look TOUGH

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    You know what i've wanted to see for a long time for casters? Shorts, why is everything pants?

Humans in Tera have a few shorts options. If there's anything I really miss about that game it's the fashion. :P

Edit: Yes, that's cloth armor. You can see more (for all the races and armor types) here: http://tera-online.cc/gallery/races/
    Last edited by Lane; 2013-01-24 at 04:39 PM.

Deleted
    That's how'd expect a waitress at a grill diner to wear.

That's how'd expect a waitress at a grill diner to wear.
    heh. tera has some well done armor like that but stuff like that doesn't seem right in a fantasy game, perhaps in the sims games or second life