Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebears View Post
    the problem is the target demographic for handouts is wrong. helping the elderly/homeless for starters should be a target. not overweight compulsive consumers. but then again, where is the money...?
    Why would you help the homeless, they are (for the most part) people who either can't or refuse to function in society. Old people had a whole life to make the right decisions already.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    the problem is the target demographic for handouts is wrong. helping the elderly/homeless for starters should be a target. not overweight compulsive consumers. but then again, where is the money...?
    And I think you missed out on an education because you have no idea how the health care industry works. Do you think people who suffer from complications of obesity are getting their coverage for free? They pay their insurance premiums like the rest of us. So you want to know where the money is? The money is with the people who pay for the coverage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Why would you help the homeless, they are (for the most part) people who either can't or refuse to function in society. Old people had a whole life to make the right decisions already.
    thats completely incorrect. what if someone has no family for support. had a string of bad luck. and gets thrown out of their residence? so all of the homeless veterans did something wrong? people who lost their lives in house fires? natural disasters?

thats completely incorrect. what if someone has no family for support. had a string of bad luck. and gets thrown out of their residence? so all of the homeless veterans did something wrong? people who lost their lives in house fires? natural disasters?
    So you didn't read, I said for the most part because the vast majority of homeless are people who can't or refuse to function in society. Yes there are some cases of people who are down on their luck, but those are relatively rare, and they can usually get back on their feet within a short amount of time. Homeless people, those who are chronically homeless are people who can't or refuse to function in society.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

so recently ive discovered that my elderly grandfather who has a lung disease and a hip replacement does NOT qualify for a scooter (so he can attend family functions/sporting events like football games of family members and such, basically outdoor activities)...

however, the insurance covers OBESITY.

MERICUH
    What insurance company does he use?

10+ Year Old Account
    If we are talking about homeless people that are sound of mind, then yes ... I do believe they did something wrong somewhere down the line. A majority of homeless people have mental disorders, so if you really want to get in to where the money should go, it's there.

I had the shit kicked out of me as a kid by my family, legally emancipated myself at 16. I had no family, no where to live. I got a job, took out loans for a college education and am now a productive member of society. So you want to talk to me about having nothing and building something, go ahead and try.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    So people who for some reason have for example neurological (psychiatric) defects should not get help because they 'refuse' to function in society? Cool way to save money for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Actually, its the republicans that throw hissy fits when ever the big bad government says people should perhaps eat better and lose weight.
    Actually i think it was a joke...

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    That's called preventative medicine, and it still doesn't change people's lifestyles. Reducing weight can prevent diabetes and heart disease and other complications of obesity, but there is no insurance coverage for "Obesity". It's much more cost effective to prevent something than it is to fix it.
    Well, my question was more if they are covered. Also, don't they allow those only when you are already obese and need to lose weight?

Seeing your reply, what about things like visits to a dietitian? It can be seen as preventative. Is such a thing covered in the US (with say a basic package)?

And a third question. Extra insurance packages (I assume you have them in the US as well), how are they sold? For instance here they are focussed on things like age groups. When your below 20 you might need more coverage for sports injuries or bracers while at 60+ you might think of hip replacements etc. Between 20 and 40 you could get a health package that covers "family planning" more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    Well, my question was more if they are covered. Also, don't they allow those only when you are already obese and need to lose weight?

Seeing your reply, what about things like visits to a dietitian? It can be seen as preventative. Is such a thing covered in the US (with say a basic package)?

And a third question. Extra insurance packages (I assume you have them in the US as well), how are they sold? For instance here they are focussed on things like age groups. When your below 20 you might need more coverage for sports injuries or bracers while at 60+ you might think of hip replacements etc.
    It depends on the insurance company. There are probably thousands of them across the country. But whatever is covered or not covered, you can find out ahead of time. Either way, if you're covered, your premiums will reflect that in the cost. Some insurances will cover lap-band or gastric bypass for the obese to prevent other complications. Some will cover a nutritionist to help you get a healthy lifestyle to lose weight naturally, which is still a preventative medicine for other complications.

As far as add ons for insurance, there are many factors that determine what you pay for your insurance, and whether you want extra coverage for certain things.