Possible Upgrades?

I started a thread about a long term build and most people seem to agree that it's a bad idea to do that. How about upgrading my current system? Here's what I'm currently using http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...307&CatId=4928 Everything is the same except I junked the 5450 and got a 6770.

One thing I know I want as an upgrade or in a new system is an SSD.

Deleted
    was there really a need to make a new thread ?

an ssd is a luxury product, there's no real world need for it, unless you want to kill yourself every time windows boots.

An SSD isnt the be all end all upgrade and does absolutely nothing for gaming except change loading screen times. What I would do is a cpu,mobo, upgrade first and reuse what you have, possibly a ram upgrade to or new psu although the PSU is 480 watts and would power everything fine but dont expect it to be some highend Season.. You can reuse your case, HDD, Optical, and the 6770. If I had to upgrade the few pieces I would do 1. CPU+motherboard 2. addition of 8Gb 1600mhz ram or better PSU, 3.SSD 4. Keep the 6770 and save for a mid to high end card for next years 8xxx and 7xx releases. On that note how much are you willing to spend?
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    was there really a need to make a new thread ?

an ssd is a luxury product, there's no real world need for it, unless you want to kill yourself every time windows boots.
    I thought there was, it's a different topic.

Why would I want kill myself every time windows boots with an SSD? I want to do that currently because it takes so long. My understanding was an SSD will make windows boot quicker.

An SSD isnt the be all end all upgrade and does absolutely nothing for gaming except change loading screen times. What I would do is a cpu,mobo, upgrade first and reuse what you have, possibly a ram upgrade to or new psu although the PSU is 480 watts and would power everything fine but dont expect it to be some highend Season.. You can reuse your case, HDD, Optical, and the 6770. If I had to upgrade the few pieces I would do 1. CPU+motherboard 2. addition of 8Gb 1600mhz ram or better PSU, 3.SSD 4. Keep the 6770 and save for a mid to high end card for next years 8xxx and 7xx releases. On that note how much are you willing to spend?
    Right now I'm wanting to spend around $500. How important is a mobo upgrade? I'm really bad with hardware and I'm not really sure how a mobo affects performance.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xLBb $515 That replaces everything I said, CPU+Mobo, SSD, PSU, Ram, and a cooler. Then you just reuse your case and opticaldrives, Then you would only be saving for a better video card. If you need an OS drop the SSD and get an OEM liscence. But if you have a useable liscence youre gravy.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xLBb $515 That replaces everything I said, CPU+Mobo, SSD, PSU, Ram, and a cooler. Then you just reuse your case and opticaldrives, Then you would only be saving for a better video card. If you need an OS drop the SSD and get an OEM liscence. But if you have a useable liscence youre gravy.
    I found a 585 power supply that is cheaper and has good reviews. Would this work with my system/case? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/compuca...y-hp585dretail

Also I forgot to mention that I did double my RAM (up to 8) when I got my video card so I won't be getting that. I appreciate the advice though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I found a 585 power supply that is cheaper and has good reviews. Would this work with my system/case? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/compuca...y-hp585dretail.
    PErsonally, I've never heard of HEC, but that doesn't mean anything. However whenever I see a SUPER cheap PSU, and something like 600+ wattage, it raises a red flag.

Stick with the XFX, or get an Antec 450. You dont need more than 350-400 watts anymore these days unless you're doing Crossfire.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    PErsonally, I've never heard of HEC, but that doesn't mean anything. However whenever I see a SUPER cheap PSU, and something like 600+ wattage, it raises a red flag.

Stick with the XFX, or get an Antec 450. You dont need more than 350-400 watts anymore these days unless you're doing Crossfire.
    Add the fact that it isn't 80+ certified and is built around the old construction of running dual 80mm fans.

+3.3V@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@15A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.0A

That is really bad for being a "585W" PSU.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-01-15 at 09:29 PM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Ok, I'm just worried about 450 being too low if I decide to upgrade further in the future and wondering why I would go from a 480w to a 450. An aftermarket PSU is probably going to be better than what I have in there now but why go down on the power? Wouldn't it be better to wait a bit and get a more expensive 500w or 600w PSU?

Ok, I'm just worried about 450 being too low if I decide to upgrade further in the future and wondering why I would go from a 480w to a 450. An aftermarket PSU is probably going to be better than what I have in there now but why go down on the power? Wouldn't it be better to wait a bit and get a more expensive 500w or 600w PSU?
    For what purpose would you need a 500W or 600W PSU? Are you planning to go Multi-GPU in the future?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Well minimum requirement for a GTX 680 is 550watts so i can understand why you would want atleast a 600w...especially if you overclock the GPU and CPU!
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    For what purpose would you need a 500W or 600W PSU? Are you planning to go Multi-GPU in the future?
    Probably not but I was told at Fry's that 480w was barely enough to handle the 6770 so if I wanted to get a more powerful card I'd need a better PSU. Again though, I don't know anything about hardware so I have to rely on others for this info.

EDIT: Yeah basically what Seiz said. Want to make sure I have enough wattage to cover an upgrade in my hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiz View Post
    Well minimum requirement for a GTX 680 is 550watts so i can understand why you would want atleast a 600w...especially if you overclock the GPU and CPU!
    It is the same with almost every GPU, the stores/manufacturers recommend almost twice the power that is needed since a lot of people go out and buy 580W PSU like the one linked in this thread that actually can't even deliver 200W on the 12V rail. If you look at the reviews of GTX 680 you can see that a full systems running a GTX680 and a Intel Core CPU uses about 300W at full load.

Probably not but I was told at Fry's that 480w was barely enough to handle the 6770 so if I wanted to get a more powerful card I'd need a better PSU. Again though, I don't know anything about hardware so I have to rely on others for this info.

EDIT: Yeah basically what Seiz said. Want to make sure I have enough wattage to cover an upgrade in my hardware.
    The people at Frys are salesmen, they want to sell as much as possible, just like when they try to sell you a $100 goldplated HDMI cable when you buy a TV.

The people at Frys are salesmen, they want to sell as much as possible, just like when they try to sell you a $100 goldplated HDMI cable when you buy a TV.
    Then he was a horrible salesman as he talked himself out of a bigger sale by telling me to buy the 6770 instead of the 6870 because my power supply couldn't handle the 6870.

My question is though, if the 480 is enough, why upgrade the PSU at all?

Then he was a horrible salesman as he talked himself out of a bigger sale by telling me to buy the 6770 instead of the 6870 because my power supply couldn't handle the 6870.

My question is though, if the 480 is enough, why upgrade the PSU at all?
    The reason to upgrade is that we don't know what kind of PSU you have right now, it might be just as bad as the one you linked. You can open you computer and look up the exact model of it and then it is possible that you don't even need to replace it.

Its not that a 480 wouldnt power it, Its brand reliability thats in question. The one in your pc is probably some offbrand enerthermalsonicair psu that really doesnt produce a consistent 480. Unlike the 450 XFX I linked it is a well know brand and a reliable one at that and recommended amongst the forums here plus Overclock.net PSU recommendations . And like N0c said earlier some high wattage no name PSUs will say 500, 600, 700 and only really deliver at 200 consistently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not but I was told at Fry's that 480w was barely enough to handle the 6770 so if I wanted to get a more powerful card I'd need a better PSU.
    This is what we call being a salesman.

Your system literally could not break 250w with the 6770. Even if your CPU and GPU were at 100% load. Chances are, your system power is more along the lines of about 180w while gaming, and 75w while not. Even with a 680, you wouldn't break 400w. Not even 350. Especially since nVidia cards just use less power. Hence the comment of "Unless you're using Crossfire" implaying dual ATI cards. Which not only use more power, but double. There is really almost no reason anyone needs more than 450w these days with technology, unless they're doing crossfire, or something very specific that requires that much power.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 02:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    And like N0c said earlier some high wattage no name PSUs will say 500, 600, 700 and only really deliver at 200 consistently.
    And on top of that, some cheapie makers sometimes stack high amps onto the 12v rail, to get a higher "PSU wattage" Technically, when something says "500w", thats adding together three, four, or five rails across the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v lines. But that number can be easier reached by stacking a ton of power on the 12v, while the 5 and 3 are left dry for things needed there, causing system instability.

A good power supply is not just about price/wattage. It's a lot of things. It's about balance of load, stable voltage on those rails, and actually providing the advertised power. On top of heat management, quietness, and price of course. Power supplies are one of the few pieces of hardware that I will never cut corners on cost. RAM, CD Drives, cases... sometimes even hard drives in cheapie systems. Some MoBo brands I won't touch. But power supplies are not something to be cutting corners on. Of course you can spend TOO much... But I'd feel better saying "I spent too much money on that power supply" rather than "I spent too little"

It is the same with almost every GPU, the stores/manufacturers recommend almost twice the power that is needed since a lot of people go out and buy 580W PSU like the one linked in this thread that actually can't even deliver 200W on the 12V rail. If you look at the reviews of GTX 680 you can see that a full systems running a GTX680 and a Intel Core CPU uses about 300W at full load.

Oh okay see I just go by what the requirements are when I buy new products so thats why I chose the 600w because I wanted to do some mild overclocking aswell.
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit