Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Dead Island Riptide Trailer

I can't help but laugh on how incredibly retarded this trailer is.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...alling-statue/

Who exactly are they trying to target here?

It's a fact trailer making fun of the statue, and the amount of drama over the statue is just sad get over it people its a god dang zombie game. Don't see why is perfectly ok to have all his in game but make a COMPLETELY optional collectors edition item and people cope a bitch fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalliah View Post
    Deep silver also apologized for the statue. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/15/de...ruesome-statue
    I can see why people would get upset over it but... meh. I found it pretty funny.
    I thought it was kinda funny, but it's a monumentally stupid decision on their part. Seriously, whoever thought it would be a good idea to include a rotting, dismembered upper female torso in a bikini with it shouldn't have a job. How that made it through approvals without someone piping up to say, "Um, might some people find it a little too gross, or maybe mildly offensive/misogynistic?" is really beyond me -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats wrong with the statue? If you like zombies games and you like Dead Island specifically, whats the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Whats wrong with the statue? If you like zombies games and you like Dead Island specifically, whats the problem?
    It's a dismembered female torso in a bikini...with the heightened focus on sexism in gaming, it's pretty easy to see how this can be interpreted.

Not to mention, what does it have to do with zombies? It doesn't scream "zombies!" it screams "mutilated female torso in a bikini!", which isn't really the best message to get across...

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I really don't give a crap about it... and so wouldn't most people if it was a male torso for some reason.
    To a certain extent, you're right. But sexism and the objectification of females/the female body is a hot topic in gaming right now. It would be equally as bad if it were a guy, but the popular perception would be different so the reaction would be different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    To a certain extent, you're right. But sexism and the objectification of females/the female body is a hot topic in gaming right now. It would be equally as bad if it were a guy, but the popular perception would be different so the reaction would be different.
    Put it a male bottom half in speedos.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Put it a male bottom half in speedos.
    AND CALL IT...THE PACKAGE!!!!!!!

Oh man, I should apply to Deep Silver for a marketing position.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was kinda funny, but it's a monumentally stupid decision on their part. Seriously, whoever thought it would be a good idea to include a rotting, dismembered upper female torso in a bikini with it shouldn't have a job. How that made it through approvals without someone piping up to say, "Um, might some people find it a little too gross, or maybe mildly offensive/misogynistic?" is really beyond me -_-

Hello???? Zombie killer??? You know smash heads and shit????

Now if they were to release it with hello kitty island I would agree with you.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 05:41 PM ----------

It's a dismembered female torso in a bikini...with the heightened focus on sexism in gaming, it's pretty easy to see how this can be interpreted.

Not to mention, what does it have to do with zombies? It doesn't scream "zombies!" it screams "mutilated female torso in a bikini!", which isn't really the best message to get across...
    Not at all my first thought when I seen it. This is a case of people see what they want too.

I'm guessing the big "Dead Island Riptide" on the bottom is suppose to clue you in that it's about zombies.

10+ Year Old Account

Im sorry, I just dont agree. The simple fact that we are even concerned with some bad message is silly. I'm sure you have played the Dead Island correct? So with that said, what is this "not the best message" we are worried about here?

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    Hello???? Zombie killer??? You know smash heads and shit????

Now if they were to release it with hello kitty island I would agree with you.
    There's a difference between playing a game where you kill zombies, and having a 1 foot tall free-standing dismembered and slightly decayed female torso in a bikini sitting on your shelf. Just a bit. People are far more picky about what sits on their shelves than what they play.

Not at all my first thought when I seen it. This is a case of people see what they want too.

I'm guessing the big "Dead Island Riptide" on the bottom is suppose to clue you in that it's about zombies.
    It doesn't matter what you see, it matters what the non-gamer and the general public sees. Remove this from the context of the game, as in leave it sitting on your shelf far enough away that it's difficult to read, and it says absolutely nothing about zombies at all.

Again, I'm not saying this is my own view. I already stated that I personally don't have any issues with this (I think it's a bit of an odd inclusion, but whatever). The issue is what the general public will see and interpret, not what is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Im sorry, I just dont agree. The simple fact that we are even concerned with some bad message is silly. I'm sure you have played the Dead Island correct? So with that said, what is this "not the best message" we are worried about here?
    Again, sexism and misogyny is a hot topic in gaming right now, so anything that can possibly be viewed as sexist will be viewed as sexist. I have indeed played Dead Island and though it was a pretty decent game. This isn't just targeted at Dead Island players though, it's targeted at anyone who would potentially view this without knowing the context for it.

Why not have a zombie head on there at least? That would be firm ground to stand on, because as-is nothing about the torso would say, "This is because of a zombie attack and it's from a zombie game!" to someone who just walks in your home and see is sitting on a shelf.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2013-01-15 at 10:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Media likes to make a gigantic fuss about stupid things and cause problems, which is about it.

I understand why they did it, but I find it pretty disgusting. It's not disgusting enough to where I'm going to write a scathing article about it or rage on the forums.

Really wish the gaming community (and western culture in general) would get a little more responsible about gender issues though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, sexism and misogyny is a hot topic in gaming right now, so anything that can possibly be viewed as sexist will be viewed as sexist. I have indeed played Dead Island and though it was a pretty decent game. This isn't just targeted at Dead Island players though, it's targeted at anyone who would potentially view this without knowing the context for it.

Why not have a zombie head on there at least? That would be firm ground to stand on, because as-is nothing about the torso would say, "This is because of a zombie attack and it's from a zombie game!" to someone who just walks in your home and see is sitting on a shelf.
    On the highlighted points:

Really? And just exactly who is targeted? Last time I checked people who dont like Zombies or Zombies games were not the target audience for this game.

As far as who walks in the home? Who cares? That is up to the person who owns this to explain what it is. If your afraid of first impressions then dont display it for others to see. I have quite a few pieces of art that most people may not understand. Its decoration for my home, not who ever walks in. I dont even feel the need to explain myself, why should you?

I guess the point Im trying to make is that I dont wear kiddy gloves. I will not provide kiddy gloves to others. And I certianly will not read further into something like a collectors item statue of a chopped up torso for a Zombie video game where you run around lobbing off arms and legs of not just men but women who are wearing swim suites.
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2013-01-15 at 11:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Media likes to make a gigantic fuss about stupid things and cause problems, which is about it.
    Becuase people like the poster above you.

People are clearly mistaking me making the arguments against this statue, for me supporting the arguments against the statue. I have no clue how I can be more clear about my stance that I don't care much personally (though I would rather it not be quite so overtly...BOOBS!). I guess I'll just adopt it since reading is difficult or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are clearly mistaking me making the arguments against this statue, for me supporting the arguments against the statue. I have no clue how I can be more clear about my stance that I don't care much personally (though I would rather it not be quite so overtly...BOOBS!). I guess I'll just adopt it since reading is difficult or something.

Mostly because you are the one posting them.

I still just don't see an issue here. It's a collectors item. it's not forced on anyone. If you don't want it don't buy it.

(though I would rather it not be quite so overtly...BOOBS!)
    Again YOU are going to see what YOU want to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty disgusting and doesn't make a whole lot of sense (they're zombies, why would they leave the best bits intact?), but reading some of the rage directed towards this has been pretty hilarious. #Firstworldproblems I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not that I mistake your stance, but I also don't agree with saying "I don't care, but I agree it was a bad move". So as far as Im concerned saying anything other than "you guys are stupid, get over it" sides you with people who make mountains of mole hills. Something that is a ever growing problem for society. Think of this more along the lines of art and censorship. Because that is exactly what we are talking about here. But its not just censorship for the product as a whole, no we are all good with brutally beating and dismembering girls in bikini's in the video game but dont you dare try and give me a physical representation of it....

Mostly because you are the one posting them.

I still just don't see an issue here. It's a collectors item. it's not forced on anyone. If you don't want it don't buy it.

Again YOU are going to see what YOU want to see.
    The same issue with EA's marketing of Dante's Inferno (hiring fake religious protesters for it and the "sin to win" campaign). It can be quite offensive.

Remember, the current environment in the gaming industry is pretty hyper sensitive to sexism. That means something like this can, and will easily be viewed as a sexist objectification of the female body, and offend people. It doesn't matter if that's intended or not (I can't see how the "LOOK, BOOBS" angle wasn't intended), it' matters how the public perceives it. It's a pretty stupid decision if they knew the current gaming landscape and of course it's going to cause issues.

I had no real issues with it, I'm simply pointing out how some people, such as those who complained about it and caused the commotion, view the situation. I see some valid complaints to be had. I don't agree with all of them, but there's no way that this could be argued to be a neutral, and unassailable decision on the part of Deep Silver.