Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New Ranking System... Again.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/n...ng-soon-ranked

http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws....L_IG_EN_NA.png

Link to the news post and the infographic.

So, it looks like Riot pushing out another set of changes to their ranked system, which looks a lot like the system currently in use in StarCraft 2.

Basically, it's going to arbitrarily place you in a group of 250 players. This has no effect on who you play against, but it's supposed to give you a feel of progressing up the ladder. ELO is hidden for all ques and you see these league points instead. To advance a tier, you have to win a best of 3 (so 2 games), and to advance to another ranking you have to win a best of 5 (3 games).

There is also a new ranking, called Challenger that will allow highly ranked 5s teams a chance to go pro.

Edit: Riot did an AMA about it.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...ue_system_ama/
    Last edited by Isrozzis; 2013-01-16 at 10:24 PM.

Deleted
    So now we will have people crying about "Tier hell" instead of "Elo hell"?

Got mixed feelings on this.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Except if you're playing legion xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    The day I die I want the shaman class developers to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.......

10+ Year Old Account
    When I first read it I thought they were gonna match based on your league. While that is probably impossible with so few people, it would make it more of a team effort to advance up the ladder since you would be playing among the same group of people. Ah well, I can dream. I like that your friends will most likely be in your league, because bragging rights are important.

Makes no difference at all tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting. I wonder if they are going to add some features that people have been asking for for years, like being able to leave a game after someone dced without penalty etc.

I for one rather like having a number, but you know whatever. I guess I don't climb the ladder anymore, I claim the teir?

Doesn't sound as good lol. But at the end of the day it's just another way to determine your ranking.

edit: I'm curious about these promotion matches. As far as I can tell it's a Bo3 or a Bo5. But against random people? Having a best of x seems odd when it is a complete pug.
    Last edited by Isrozzis; 2013-01-15 at 11:59 PM.

Interesting, don't completely understand it though.

So (numbers out my ass here):

Division 1 reqs 100 points
    Reach 100 points
    Play 3 games after 100 and win all 3
    Enter division 1

Repeat until division 5.

Win the best of 5 games and rank up a tier?

Did I get it right?
    <- Is stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    Did I get it right?
    <- Is stupid
    Almost. It's best of 3, no need to win all three games to advance up a division. Also, you start in that division 1 and need to get 100 points to get a chance to advance up to 2nd.

And when you advance a tier, do you always stay their and only lose points?
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    And when you advance a tier, do you always stay their and only lose points?
    Once you reach a certain ranking, say Gold, you cannot fall back into silver by losing games. You will just stay at the bottom of the lowest division. You can go back a division though within a ranking. So if you are division 1 you can fall all the way down to division 5.

1 = top
    5 = lowest?

:O WHAT IS THIS!

But yeah thanks for clearing that up guys it seems a much 'friendlier' system imo. (once explained) and does seem a lot more progressive.

Deleted
    1 = top
    5 = lowest?

:O WHAT IS THIS!
    1st league>2nd league, 1st place>2nd place etc etc I guess. Same logic could very well apply.

Touché!

/tenchar

Mixed feeling... makes me think about playing 10 games soon just to start at 1.5k already and move up a little bit instead of having to start from 1.2k again :/

Seems like we'll have to see it in action to see how well it really goes. As for right now, I think it has potential to be a better system even though not much actually changes from the system now, theres just tiers besides elo and whatnot. Excited to see how it turns out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sort of sounds like SC2 in a few ways too me.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    After reading the infograph I'm actually quite stoked. This might just pull me into ranked games, I was seriously annoyed whenever I saw my elo drop, but seeing my "progress bar" hit 0 and not go into minus will make it less "bad" to lose due to trolls/leavers/ragers/yi/trynd etc.

Deleted
    this is truly awesome and I wish it would've been available when I started to play ranked.

to translate this back into elo: you got about 300 elo to play with at any given time. each division is roughly 60 elo difference. once you gain 300 elo (i.e enter a new tier) you STAY THERE. that is what is truly awesome. once you're 1500 elo you're never gonna drop below that and once you're 1800 you're 1800! this is a huge boon to those of us that like playing LoL in ranked not so much to cap out on elo but rather face fierce competition. reaching the milestones (silver, gold, platinum, diamond and eventually challenger) is going to be the focus of most ranked players and there is a clear progression rather than just increasing your elo hoping it stays where you want it to be.

Elo is a really bad way to rate 5v5. I welcome these changes, as long as they are implemented nicely.
    (Will we lose points for losing games? How many points per game? Does this fluctuate? Etc etc etc)

We don't really have enough details about the specifics of how things will work atm, wtb more info!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    this is truly awesome and I wish it would've been available when I started to play ranked.

to translate this back into elo: you got about 300 elo to play with at any given time. each division is roughly 60 elo difference. once you gain 300 elo (i.e enter a new tier) you STAY THERE. that is what is truly awesome. once you're 1500 elo you're never gonna drop below that and once you're 1800 you're 1800! this is a huge boon to those of us that like playing LoL in ranked not so much to cap out on elo but rather face fierce competition. reaching the milestones (silver, gold, platinum, diamond and eventually challenger) is going to be the focus of most ranked players and there is a clear progression rather than just increasing your elo hoping it stays where you want it to be.
    If this is correct, it sounds very intresting.