Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

The NRA strikes again

(apologies if this is posted already, or elsewhere)

NRA releases free target-practice app - for ages 4 and up

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...151235393.html

From Yahoo news:

The National Rifle Association, exactly a month after the shooting at Newtown, Conn., appears to have released a branded target shooting gamedeemed suitable for kids ages 4 and up.
    The NRA has been highly critical of the video game industry following the elementary school shooting in Newtown that left 26 dead and sparked a national debate about guns and school safety.
    "NRA: Practice Range," available free in the iTunes app store, allows players to shoot at coffin-shaped targets in indoor or outdoor settings. For $.99 extra, players can upgrade their gun to a pistol grip Mossberg or a semi-automatic sniper rifle.
    The game says it is a licensed product of the NRA, but the gun lobby did not return multiple requests for comment from Yahoo News asking to confirm that the game is indeed theirs.
    According to the description on iTunes, the game is intended to instill "safe and responsible ownership through fun challenges and realistic simulations." And because it contains "no objectionable material," per iTunes' rating system, it's suitable for children as young as 4. Apple employees vet applications before they are included in the store and approve age ranges for games.
    In between shooting, the game also dispenses gun safety advice, like to wear protective eye gear.
    The NRA, the nation's largest gun lobby, has met with the White House as the president mulls implementing more comprehensive background checks for gun buyers and the banning of certain kinds of semi-automatic rifles, among other proposals.
    The game's timing has sparked some backlash. The New York Daily News, for one, writes in its cover story Tuesday morning that the game "spits on the graves" of Newtown victims. Neither the NRA, nor the app's developer, returned a request for comment.

Thoughts?

My take - To be fair, there doesn't appear to be any human "targets," and it is trying to advocate gun safety... but on the heals of the NRA blatantly pointing the finger at the VG industry this smells like hypocrisy at its worse.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they're aware of the irony, but I doubt it.

Deleted
    I don't see anything wrong with this. The NRA is a bussiness, they try to make money.
    And if they can also influence politics in the proces, then thats just the cherry on the pie

Deleted
    I don't see how this is inconstistent at all. NRA isn't officially against video games, just against violent ones.
    So they decided to develop a non-violent alternative for kids who want to shoot in video games.

I don't think it'll be successful, and I don't agree with the NRA's stance on video game violence, but why not develop this? If I had really young kids, I wouldn't want them exposed to normal FPS games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    I don't see how this is inconstistent at all. NRA isn't officially against video games, just against violent ones.
    So they decided to develop a non-violent alternative for kids who want to shoot in video games.
    They think violent video games are training simulators to turn kids into killers. So, what do they do? Put out an app that teaches you how to aim a gun.

You really don't see the irony?

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with this. The NRA is a bussiness, they try to make money.
    At some point a bad excuse is just a bad excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    They think violent video games are training simulators to turn kids into killers. So, what do they do? Put out an app that teaches you how to aim a gun.

No, not really... the NRA is for people having guns, so a game that teaches people how to use guns is perfectly in line. What they don't like are games that have you killing people, so they made a game that you don't kill people in, and to teach weapons safety to reduce the chance of an accident using a real gun for sporting.

I don't agree with their stance on games but from their point of view it makes sense.
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    At some point a bad excuse is just a bad excuse.
    (I was kinda ironic, because I don't really know if the NRA even is classified as a bussines, a political party, or a non-profit (lol) organisation)

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post

There's no irony. Self defense is a natural right- but shooting guns isn't even violent if something living isn't at the end of the gun.

goobernoob summed it up pretty good, I also don't agree with the NRA on video games.

And if they can also influence politics in the proces, then thats just the cherry on the pie
    Ermmmm...NOOO!

The NRA is not a buisness. The NRA is a 501(c) Non Profit Tax Exempt Organization.

Altought as everyone and their uncle knows that today they are in reality the Political face and lobby arm of the weapons industry in the United States.

You know having Smith and Wesson, Glock or Colt promoting guns for all your security and entertainment needs for you and your family would seem rather self serving. So it's nice to have an independent organization recieveing fuckton of Tax exempt "Donations" to promote "responsable" gun ownership and funnel millions into the campaings of congressmen and senators to "defend" your 2nd ammendment right to Assault Rifles. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah this doesn't really bother me.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Ermmmm...NOOO!

The NRA is not a buisness. The NRA is a 501(c) Non Profit Tax Exempt Organization.

Altought as everyone and their uncle knows that today they are in reality the Political face and lobby arm of the weapons industry in the United States.

You know having Smith and Wesson, Glock or Colt promoting guns for all your security and entertainment needs for you and your family would seem rather self serving. So it's nice to have an independent organization recieveing fuckton of Tax exempt "Donations" to promote "responsable" gun ownership and funnel millions into the campaings of congressmen and senators to "defend" your 2nd ammendment right to Assault Rifles. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*
    (I was kinda ironic, because I don't really know if the NRA even is classified as a bussines, a political party, or a non-profit (lol) organisation)
    I should have know... Its what billionares do (apart from becoming superhero's)

Don't see where the 4 and up number is coming from. That link says 12 and up. And who cares anyway.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

"Video games are bad and teach our kids violence!"

*makes video game to teach kids about violence*

Oh yes, that makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    There's no irony. Self defense is a natural right- but shooting guns isn't even violent if something living isn't at the end of the gun.
    The issue with that is the NRA took a stand against violent video games.

There's nothing living at the end of my gun in GTA or Call of Duty, either, just pixels on a screen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The issue with that is the NRA took a stand against violent video games.

There's nothing living at the end of my gun in GTA or Call of Duty, either, just pixels on a screen.
    Funny fact, with hunting their is a living thing at the other end of the gun, GTA and Call of Duty are less violent then hunting

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Right, but in this game there are no living or approximations of living targets. I fail to see how a game, which is instructional in the proper usage of a gun, that shoots at non-human like targets to shoot at, is violent.
    because you're destroying things with a projectile weapon? I mean, you can draw the line wherever you like, but be sure that where you draw the line makes sense

Funny fact, with hunting their is a living thing at the other end of the gun, GTA and Call of Duty are less violent then hunting
    I thought there was a fat greasy guy with a pony tail and arthritis wrist wrap?

I still don't buy the whole...It's em video games teaching dem kids to kill.

German and Japanese kids play the same god damn video games. Why don't they shoot up schools every couple of months or weeks?

And before WW2 what exactly provoked the youth of Germany to go on a rampage of lulzy conquest and mass murder?

Or before WW1?

Or Before the Napoleonic wars. Etc etc.

People are violent. They fight and do stupid shit all the time. In the U.S and in Uk and Germany and Japan. They do it today, they did so yesterday, and they did the same 200, 300, 500, 1000 and 10000 years ago. The only thing that changes is the tools they use.

As weapons get better it becomes easyer to kill more people. If weapons are better and more available it becomes easyer and more common to kill larger number of people.

Yes you can kill and hurt people with a baseball bat or a knife. But you are not going to kill dozens of people in a public place or an army base with a freaking knife or even a sword. It cant be done. Someone is bound to knock your crazy ass out with a fire extinguisher or chair or something.