10+ Year Old Account

Small Brewmaster Conundrum

Good Afternoon, MMO-Champion. Or good morning, European MMO-Champion.

To make the matter short, I'd like some opinions regarding weapons for my Brewmaster monk.

Armory.

My current weapon is Screaming Tiger, Qiang's Unbreakable Polearm Normal Mode (the Spirit Kings polearm), upgraded twice and enchanted with Dancing Steel.

In the past few weeks, I have come into posession of two LFR Claws of Shek'zeer. I also am in posession of a Sha-Touched gem.

Now, assuming I do upgrade both full over the next three weeks and enchant them both with Dancing Steel, would they be superior to my current polearm?

I understand dual-wield results in slightly higher Elusive Brew uptime, and the weapons are also beautifully itemized for Brewmasters. But I also recognize the sheer item level disparity. My big issue with all of this, though, is the Sha-Touched Gem (+500 agi).

Any opinions would be welcome. For now, I'm erring on the side of keeping my current polearm.

Edit: If content is relevant, I just scored my first Elegon kill last week and we will be hopefully clearing him again this week. It'll likely be some time before I see a Tsulong or Shek'zeer normal kill.
    Last edited by Viradiance; 2013-01-15 at 10:12 PM.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

It's still evening for us Europeans ;D

The item level difference is only 6 (assuming both options are at the same stage in upgrading), and the 500 agility is a significant boost to our mitigation. Weapon DPS (the primary gain with higher ilevel) only really boosts our DPS and, indirectly, our raid absorbs via our statue. My choice would be the LFR claws. Ideally, try to get a normal mode Gara'kal to go in your main hand with the LFR claw gemmed in your OH, that'd work really nicely and keep your DPS at the same level (or better, even) as the 2 hander.

Is what I'd do, at any rate!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    It's still evening for us Europeans ;D

The item level difference is only 6 (assuming both options are at the same stage in upgrading), and the 500 agility is a significant boost to our mitigation. Weapon DPS (the primary gain with higher ilevel) only really boosts our DPS and, indirectly, our raid absorbs via our statue. My choice would be the LFR claws. Ideally, try to get a normal mode Gara'kal to go in your main hand with the LFR claw gemmed in your OH, that'd work really nicely and keep your DPS at the same level (or better, even) as the 2 hander.

Is what I'd do, at any rate!
    Definitely no contest when I get a Gara'kal. Unfortunately, the only times I've seen it dropped were in the presence of an Enhancement Shaman who needed it for his main spec, and a fury warrior who has the most absymal luck with weapon drops (She also rolled on the dagger from the first boss for the lols. It was the week after I rerolled my main from a Rogue to Monk)

(For the curious, she got her hands on a regular Starshatter last week and two Shin'ka LFR in one run the week before)
    Last edited by Viradiance; 2013-01-15 at 11:35 PM.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

While the claws, after double upgrading both, are probably going to be a smidgen more effective than the polearm, that's not a fair comparison. You should be comparing polearm + 4 upgrades on other items vs double upgraded claws, in which case I'm almost positive that the polearm wins.

Make sure to utilize simcraft to check (just use windwalker spec instead of the currently non-functioning brewmaster spec.)

Quote Originally Posted by kaiadam View Post
    While the claws, after double upgrading both, are probably going to be a smidgen more effective than the polearm, that's not a fair comparison. You should be comparing polearm + 4 upgrades on other items vs double upgraded claws, in which case I'm almost positive that the polearm wins.

Make sure to utilize simcraft to check (just use windwalker spec instead of the currently non-functioning brewmaster spec.)
    The problem with that is that any Windwalker simulations would rank weapon DPS much higher than Brewmasters would. So can't really be used for this particular purpose.

You're also forgetting the 500 agi gem, a significant boost in mitigation even when using LFR claws.