Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So now we will have people crying about "Tier hell" instead of "Elo hell"?
    Except that you can't ever get pushed into said "tier hell" from a higher tier. So if you have placed into this "tier hell" thats your skill level and you can never argue that you are/were a better player because it would have placed you in the higher tier or you would have worked your way up to it.

    Tier = skill level

    Doesn't make you a bad player really, its just placing you with people who are more on your level. I think this system will work out the best for everyone and keep players in the brackets they belong in.

  2. #62
    Herald of the Titans Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    Except that you can't ever get pushed into said "tier hell" from a higher tier. So if you have placed into this "tier hell" thats your skill level and you can never argue that you are/were a better player because it would have placed you in the higher tier or you would have worked your way up to it.

    Tier = skill level

    Doesn't make you a bad player really, its just placing you with people who are more on your level. I think this system will work out the best for everyone and keep players in the brackets they belong in.
    So if you have placed into this "elo hell" thats your skill level and you can never argue that you are/were a better player because it would have placed you in the higher elo or you would have worked your way up to it.

    elo = skill level


    People will cry about how they always get baddies, fail their placements because of it and have fallen to bronze when they belong in platinum. Of course they would have advanced back to their proper place if they could! It's just that all those noobs are keeping them from doing it.

    People who kept believing that it was everyone else's fault they stay below 900 will not suddenly grow to realize they belong in that bronze tier they got placed in and start behaving.
    "Defending a position by citing free speech is the ultimate concession: you're saying that literally the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not illegal to express."

  3. #63
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    denmark
    Posts
    359
    aaand it seems first part of the patch is comming today/tomorrow after what i can see on the client..

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So if you have placed into this "elo hell" thats your skill level and you can never argue that you are/were a better player because it would have placed you in the higher elo or you would have worked your way up to it.

    elo = skill level


    People will cry about how they always get baddies, fail their placements because of it and have fallen to bronze when they belong in platinum. Of course they would have advanced back to their proper place if they could! It's just that all those noobs are keeping them from doing it.

    People who kept believing that it was everyone else's fault they stay below 900 will not suddenly grow to realize they belong in that bronze tier they got placed in and start behaving.
    Except with the ELO system it is POSSIBLE however unlikely that a person could have a string of losses and then get sucked into a Vortex of bad and continue to do poorly at no fault of their own.

    Now it will be impossible to get sucked into that "Elo hell" that everyone talks about.

    Essentially this is what it will look like (using current ELO standing in solo queue).

    0-400 = Bronze
    401-800 = Silver
    801-1200 = Gold
    1201-1600 = Platinum
    1601-2000 = Diamond
    2001+ = Challenger

    But once you work your way up to say from Gold to Platinum, no matter how much you lose in Platinum you are NEVER going to slide back into Gold. Thus the spiral of suck that is elo hell... does not exist.

    But I totally get what your argument is... that essentially its the same thing. Like I mentioned I am fully aware that I am probably a 1200 elo player. The reason I believe this to be true is once I got to this rating my win:loss ratio is pretty much 1:1. If it was 1+:1 I would be gaining rank and out of it.

    But like I said in the off chance that you have a string of bad games, your account gets hacked, or you leave the game logged in and your little sister plays 10 games straight with Nami playing top and goes 0/22/0. You aren't going to lose THAT much rank. I don't think its a bad system, because I feel like it worked perfectly for Starcraft 2 and really enhanced my PvP experience. The benefit is 2 fold (1) I don't get trampled by players who I really shouldn't be playing against (2) I don't play with players who don't know the difference between AD and AP.
    Last edited by Bilbo Baggins; 2013-01-17 at 01:15 AM.

  5. #65
    Immortal Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    7,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    Except with the ELO system it is POSSIBLE however unlikely that a person could have a string of losses and then get sucked into a Vortex of bad and continue to do poorly at no fault of their own.
    No, it's not.

    If you land in a Vortex of bad and stay there, it's because you belong there.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    Except with the ELO system it is POSSIBLE however unlikely that a person could have a string of losses and then get sucked into a Vortex of bad and continue to do poorly at no fault of their own.
    The new ranking system still uses your ELO to match you versus your opponents, you just won´t see it.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    Essentially this is what it will look like (using current ELO standing in solo queue).

    0-400 = Bronze
    401-800 = Silver
    801-1200 = Gold
    1201-1600 = Platinum
    1601-2000 = Diamond
    2001+ = Challenger
    Well, if this is true I don't need a boost to gold

    Btw any idea when the new system should go online?

  8. #68
    Ranked
    Added a new provisional medal for players and teams that are in their placement matches
    All players and teams have been temporarily set to this medal in preparation for Season 3

    - So if im playing at 1450 today, i cant going down to 1200? Or are the new ranking system active?

  9. #69
    If you land in a Vortex of bad and stay there, it's because you belong there.
    It is perfectly possible to run into a 10 game chain streak of AFKers, Trolls, DCers and generally weak allies. However after you have dropped far down in ELO you should have a better chance of winning the next few games due to your opponents being lower ELO.

    Form is temporary but no external force can make you stay in an ELO you don't belong in.

  10. #70
    Immortal Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    7,819
    Exactly, I'm not denying that you can drop down. Some games simply can not be won (though I'd wager that's far fewer games than some might want to believe). However, play some more games and you should go up if you're below your skill level.

  11. #71
    I am Murloc! Grading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sweeping dust at Myouren Temple
    Posts
    5,322
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyrosso View Post
    Well, if this is true I don't need a boost to gold
    It was just an example, doesn't mean that those ELO values correspond to those tiers.

    In reality, Bronze would be something like 0-1100 and Silver would be 1101-1500.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    It was just an example, doesn't mean that those ELO values correspond to those tiers.

    In reality, Bronze would be something like 0-1100 and Silver would be 1101-1500.
    Yes, I was just being theoretical.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    It was just an example, doesn't mean that those ELO values correspond to those tiers.

    In reality, Bronze would be something like 0-1100 and Silver would be 1101-1500.
    Then I need my boost...

  14. #74
    Legendary! Tizzlefix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    6,735
    By the way... I said it was like SC2 on the first page, some of you are late to the punch.
    I'll take the sky any day.

  15. #75
    Moderator Axethor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Elchea Library
    Posts
    3,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    By the way... I said it was like SC2 on the first page, some of you are late to the punch.
    I said it in the OP. That makes me the best. Hipster mod.

    Axethor - level 90 UH/Blood DK
    Raelof - level 90 BM Hunter

    Steam | Twitter

    LoL Forum Mod | General Forum FAQ

  16. #76
    Legendary! Tizzlefix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    6,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    I said it in the OP. That makes me the best. Hipster mod.
    I'm the only hipster mod Axe, get out of my dominion.
    I'll take the sky any day.

  17. #77
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    (´・ω・`)
    Posts
    1,728
    But why

  18. #78
    Herald of the Titans Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    But why
    Never ask "why?". Ask "Why not?".
    "Defending a position by citing free speech is the ultimate concession: you're saying that literally the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not illegal to express."

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    1 = top
    5 = lowest?
    Magnitude of a star works like this, too. The higher the magnitude, the dimmer the star.

  20. #80
    More like:

    Under 850 = Bronze
    850-1150 = Silver
    1150-1400 = Gold
    1400-1800 = Platinum
    1800-2400 = Diamond
    Over 2400 = Challenger

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •