Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taianne View Post
    Speaking of your country - I was just reading this news article the other day.

Basically, beginning Jan 19, 2013, if you have to change your driver's license for whatever reason, you will have to have a medical check first. So these pictures show best how people will get out of their way to not do the right thing and cheat the system. They went there like a herd of cattle to declare that they had lost / had had their licenses stolen / other nonsense, just to have them changed before the medical check became mandatory.

At least, little did they pay attention to the fact that if you lost it, you'd get a duplicate license which will not be renewed by 10 years, as it happens with the ones that expire but instead will have the same expiration date like the one they "lost", so they will have to undergo medical tests eventually. Take that, cheaters.
    Yea, that was pathetic. No wonder we get so many traffic accidents with people like those. But hey, they were worried they won't be able to give some money to the doctors anymore for the exams now.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    The driver
    So everybody with minium wage job who needs his car to reach his workplace can't afford that and have to quit his job? Great idea.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the amount of terrible retarded drivers with license and good drivers without license I know... I couldn't care less about driving license.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I agree in principle with what you're saying, and I know in the past I've been infuriated with some of the stories of older people driving through crowds of people, sometimes for blocks at a time.

Best solution is to mandate retesting every five years after you turn 65.
    Every 5 years sounds good becuase not allowing them to drive at all would be stupid. I think most females are insecure and therefor bad drivers, can't punish all of them when some actually drive good if not better than others.

Deleted
    Teens are more likely to kill me.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-01-16 at 08:45 PM.

Deleted
    You can't stop elderly people from driving, you need to medically test if people are able to drive only this is a short term solution though. We need to make transport automatic and prevent as many crashes as possible. Probably still a pretty far away technology though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    So everybody with minium wage job who needs his car to reach his workplace can't afford that and have to quit his job? Great idea.
    If they can afford a car, the insurance for it, and maintenance fees, then they can afford 40 bucks a year for a license test

Before my grandparents passed away they had someone that drove them around. I just dont see why everyone doesnt do this. They just sat in the back of their Cadillac and said "Take me here" Not very hard to do and no risk of getting into an accident.

Some elderly people can drive just fine, it depends on their health.

What do you suggest for these now immobile elderly people to do? That'd take a lot of new public transport, though it could still be worth it.

I'm curious whether the elderly have mandatory driving tests or not; if not they obviously should.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by S Blieft View Post
    My 65 year old father who still races with a sports car club would like to have a word with you...
    Damn, he's 30yrs older than me and still by far a much better driver than me.

65 is just an arbitrary number... So long as they pass the driving test every year, who cares if they drive.
    What driving test? When I got my licence they made me got around a block 4 houses big, checked the light on the car worked, and I was good to go. I freaking California Stopped all the stopped signs and they still let me pass.

I saw a guy in there, 70-ish who could barely see and hear with his wife. They made him retake the reading test 8 times before he got it right and renewed his licence. They need to get older people off the roads in the U.S. or at least put in place some system where they don't go scott free like that.