Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Its time to stop elderly people from driving!

Why are people so afraid to discuss the dangers of elderly drivers being on the road. Just in the last year there have been many many instances of them driving into buildings and plowing over crowds of people. Here are some examples:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/E...179337761.html
    http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...gomery-county/
    http://www.newyorkinjurynews.com/201...301038771.html
    http://www.fox8live.com/story/200167...ll-post-office
    http://www.wickedlocal.com/watertown...#axzz2I5eoIs5e
    http://www.rjrlaw.com/2012/11/elderl...lotte-daycare/
    http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/l...rlboro-office/
    http://www.winstonbriggslaw.com/blog...ia-store.shtml

and in this case he ran into a pizza shop and then was so incompetant that he thought it was a drive through and ordered pizza from his car:
    http://gawker.com/5974975/nebraska-m...place-an-order

These all happened in just the last 2 months and I could site hundreds more. It is only going to get worse with all the baby boomers getting old. Even when they aren't running into buildings and crowds of people they are a hazard and general nuisance to everyone else on the road. They park crooked, drive half the speed limit, cause accidents changing lanes since they cant turn their head around to look behind them, and back out of their driveways onto roads without looking. Also why do they almost always have a gigantic car like a Chevy Impala from the 70s.

I think the time has come to finally tackle this problem and forbid ANYONE over the age of 65 from driving unless they can pass an on the road driving test every year

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I agree in principle with what you're saying, and I know in the past I've been infuriated with some of the stories of older people driving through crowds of people, sometimes for blocks at a time.

Best solution is to mandate retesting every five years after you turn 65.

10+ Year Old Account
    My 65 year old father who still races with a sports car club would like to have a word with you...
    Damn, he's 30yrs older than me and still by far a much better driver than me.

65 is just an arbitrary number... So long as they pass the driving test every year, who cares if they drive.
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

Don't even get me started on teen drivers, they are far worse than elderly drivers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I agree in principle with what you're saying, and I know in the past I've been infuriated with some of the stories of older people driving through crowds of people, sometimes for blocks at a time.

Best solution is to mandate retesting every five years after you turn 65.
    The problem is that they are never tested though, and every time any legislator attempts to even bring up the subject let alone actually pass a law requiring mandatory driver testing for those 65 and older they are vilified by the AARP and other people and they immediately back down, letting these dangerous people continuing to drive as long as they can show up at the DMV to get their license renewed.

What, you dont actually have required mandatory driving tests for people over a certain age? Holy shit wtf.

As a newspaper carrier and recovery deliverer... the worst drivers are elderly and women.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Orlong, you realize that, just in the past year, there have been a lot more serious and deadly accidents perpetrated by young people in their early to mid 20s? A great many more than there have been issues with elderly drivers.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    The problem is that they are never tested though, and every time any legislator attempts to even bring up the subject let alone actually pass a law requiring mandatory driver testing for those 65 and older they are vilified by the AARP and other people and they immediately back down, letting these dangerous people continuing to drive as long as they can show up at the DMV to get their license renewed.
    The AARP has powerful lobbyists in every corner and people over 65 represent like 40% of the population, and they always vote. Hence the lack of any real movement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Don't even get me started on teen drivers, they are far worse than elderly drivers.
    the difference is their learning to drive and are getting better at it the elderly may have lost hearing, sight and sanity and shouldnt be able to drive again
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree teen drivers are bad too, but at least they usually just drive into trees and only kill themselves instead of killing large groups of people. I think driving tests are too easy and minimum driving age is way too low. Hell when I took my test in 1988 It only took 5 minutes and consisted of turning out of the testing center onto a road which had nearly no traffic since it was out in the country. I then drive about 2 miles and made a left turn onto another road. I then drove about 200 yards and did a 3 point turn and drove back to the testing center and that was it. I thought it was ridiculous.

I think you shouldnt be able to drive in a car by yourself until 18 and no permits until 17. You should also be required to take a minimum of 100 hours of behind the wheel training with a certified instructor (perhaps given in school in place of a study hall which is normally just an hour for teens to goof off anyway). The driving test itself should be at least 30 minutes long and take place in a variety of driving conditions such as wet roads, congested traffic, and highway driving. It should also include all types of parking including parallel parking

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 07:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    What, you dont actually have required mandatory driving tests for people over a certain age? Holy shit wtf.
    Nope, hence all the stories listed above, and I hear about these hundreds of times a year. At least twice a week I see a story like this

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 07:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Orlong, you realize that, just in the past year, there have been a lot more serious and deadly accidents perpetrated by young people in their early to mid 20s? A great many more than there have been issues with elderly drivers.
    I wouldnt say there was more. Maybe deadlier because young people like to treat roads like racetracks. This is why I would support a law forbidding anyone under the age of 25 from owning or driving a car with more than 125 horsepower and/or a law requiring governors on cars driven by drivers under 25 limiting the speed of the car to 70 mph

Teens get better with practice, and once they mature. Once people are too old to drive, they don't get better later.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I agree teen drivers are bad too, but at least they usually just drive into trees and only kill themselves instead of killing large groups of people. I think driving tests are too easy and minimum driving age is way too low.
    This is a pretty big generalization, and it depends too much on who's administering the test. Which is also the problem when it comes to subjective testing.

There probably should be mandatory re-testing at some point imo, but pointing at a specific age and saying, "60's too old to drive. We're going to make it illegal." is just as ridiculous as saying, "People shouldn't be able to smoke cigarettes or have consensual sex before 18, and shouldn't be able to drink before 21." It's all arbitrary ridiculous bullshit.

Sure, let's stop reckless and self-entitled young people from driving first

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Teens get better with practice, and once they mature. Once people are too old to drive, they don't get better later.

This is a pretty big generalization, and it depends too much on who's administering the test. Which is also the problem when it comes to subjective testing.

There probably should be mandatory re-testing at some point imo, but pointing at a specific age and saying, "60's too old to drive. We're going to make it illegal." is just as ridiculous as saying, "People shouldn't be able to smoke cigarettes or have consensual sex before 18, and shouldn't be able to drink before 21." It's all arbitrary ridiculous bullshit.
    But I didnt say nobody should be allowed to drive at 60, I said they shouldnt be allowed to drive at 65 UNLESS they pass a vigorous road test every year

i think that everyone should be required to submit to a written exam and practical road test at 16, again at 20 and every 10 years to be allowed to keep your license. everyone. you're a healthy, 20/20 vision 30 y/o? road test. you're a senile 70 y/o? road test.

bad driving knows no age.

15+ Year Old Account
    Elderly people tend to vote more than young people.

Take away their cars? You lose the vote.

The rights of the elderly to drive should only be limited if we in turn go after the most dangerous demographic on the road: teens.

No driving after 65? Ok, no driving before 21 as well. 18 with proof of driving classes. No more idiot 16/17 yr olds tearing around in their little Hondas cutting folks off and driving like they own the roads.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Make Country Kitchen Buffet inaccessible by vehicle.

Problem solved...unless they start getting helicopter licenses...

Make people passed a certain age take annual or bi-annual vision and hearing tests and let the able bodied folks do their thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

15+ Year Old Account
    By the way. You guys seem to think that all teen drivers are dangerous...

Personally? I'd rather get the people physically incapable of good reflexes off the roads before somebody who is just reckless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once over the age of 65 you should be forced to do the vision test once per year and a road test twice a year. I agree young drivers also suck, raise the age to drive to 18.