Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    If everyone got their way, we'd be a bunch of people staring at a wall 24/7. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Don't even get me started on teen drivers, they are far worse than elderly drivers.
    the difference being they are learning how to drive, and mistakes are prone to those learning things. don't tell me you never fucked up when behind the wheel when you were learning. elderly people on the other hand KNOW how to drive but since they are most likely loosing: sight, hearing, cognitive thinking, they should not be allowed to drive. iv seen old women and men run stop lights and when honked at, STOP IN THE INTERSECTION. but if we are to take the keys away from old people we need to SERIOUSLY revamp our public transit system, which is not surprisingly one of the worst in the world.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Why are people so afraid to discuss the dangers of elderly drivers being on the road. Just in the last year there have been many many instances of them driving into buildings and plowing over crowds of people. Here are some examples:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/E...179337761.html
    http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...gomery-county/
    http://www.newyorkinjurynews.com/201...301038771.html
    http://www.fox8live.com/story/200167...ll-post-office
    http://www.wickedlocal.com/watertown...#axzz2I5eoIs5e
    http://www.rjrlaw.com/2012/11/elderl...lotte-daycare/
    http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/l...rlboro-office/
    http://www.winstonbriggslaw.com/blog...ia-store.shtml

and in this case he ran into a pizza shop and then was so incompetant that he thought it was a drive through and ordered pizza from his car:
    http://gawker.com/5974975/nebraska-m...place-an-order

These all happened in just the last 2 months and I could site hundreds more. It is only going to get worse with all the baby boomers getting old. Even when they aren't running into buildings and crowds of people they are a hazard and general nuisance to everyone else on the road. They park crooked, drive half the speed limit, cause accidents changing lanes since they cant turn their head around to look behind them, and back out of their driveways onto roads without looking. Also why do they almost always have a gigantic car like a Chevy Impala from the 70s.

I think the time has come to finally tackle this problem and forbid ANYONE over the age of 65 from driving unless they can pass an on the road driving test every year

Lost two cats to peoples reckless driving, plowing through a crossing and past a freaking daycare. If there's anything I hate, it's people and their fucking cars and their irresponsible, damned driving. It doesn't matter the age. I want to punch in the face of the bastards that ran over and left two of our cats to die a slow, agonizing death without having the freaking descency to even stop.
    It doesn't matter what age someone is, it doesn't matter where you are from, there are so many fucking idiots behind a steeringwheel it scares me to think about it.

Sorry about the swearing put it's a topic that makes my blood boil. I'm not angry with you OP.

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 05:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Slammin Shaman View Post
    Imo, once you hit 65 you should have to take your drivers test every year.
    And who would pay that? A pensioner or the government? Neither of them is likely to want to cash out for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post

And who would pay that? A pensioner or the government? Neither of them is likely to want to cash out for that.
    What if the person paid for it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think mandatory testing after the age of about 65 should be done. From some of the figures posted in this thread though, twice a year seems to frequent and once every 5 years seems to infrequent. Once every 2-3 years seems acceptable, along with an eye sight check as well. Failure to do this should result in the immediate revoking of their license.

As for who should pay for it; The elderly person taking the test should pay for it. A necessary fee if they wish to keep driving.

EDIT: Changed the above after thinking about it for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    If everyone got their way, we'd be a bunch of people staring at a wall 24/7. lol.
    Look at the bright side. No more war, or homicides or accidental deaths
    Last edited by Anakso; 2013-01-16 at 05:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Lost two cats to peoples reckless driving, plowing through a crossing and past a freaking daycare. If there's anything I hate, it's people and their fucking cars and their irresponsible, damned driving. It doesn't matter the age. I want to punch in the face of the bastards that ran over and left two of our cats to die a slow, agonizing death without having the freaking descency to even stop.
    It doesn't matter what age someone is, it doesn't matter where you are from, there are so many fucking idiots behind a steeringwheel it scares me to think about it.

Sorry about the swearing put it's a topic that makes my blood boil. I'm not angry with you OP.

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 05:58 AM ----------

If they can afford a car, insurance, and all the maintenance bills, they can afford 50 bucks for a test. The driver should pay

10+ Year Old Account
    I see a lot more rude drivers who are younger (20's and below) who cut people off, speed, etc. They can seem like assholes, but usually aware of those around them. I don't usually see them making the types of errors that I commonly see elderly drivers make (keeping the turn signal on, not turning it on at all, driving in the bike lane, driving on the other side towards oncoming traffic to make a turn, etc). I feel like that's more dangerous because the elderly sometimes just don't know what's going on around them.

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by raechuul View Post
    driving on the other side towards oncoming traffic to make a turn.
    This one I saw young drivers do just the other day, if I understand you correctly. They were coming out of one road turning right (we drive on the left here) but there were cars driving already on that side, but no cars driving on the left lane at that time so rather than wait for the few cars to pass (it was only three cars) they went in the wrong lane, sped up really fast and cut in before the first car then sped up at a speed that looked like it was more than the speed limit judging by the other cars speeds.

The problem with young drivers though, at least the ones that do that, is they know they're driving dangerously. If we were to test young drivers every year or something, they'd just drive safely for the test and then return to driving dangerously else where. But that's what demerit points are for

This thread can only remind me off South Park, great episode to :P

Honestly, Id rather have a driver with exsperience that are likely to drive at a normal speed, than a young gun.

Trough I do agree that a evaluation maybe every 2nd year should be considered once at the age off 65. Oh and such evaluations should only be done if you got some things that could hinder you from driving good (Medical problems, bad eye sight etc - Surely doctors can pass along these basic informations to driving instructors w/e?)
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Texas already does re-test drivers once they hit age 79, for both mental and vision problems. Fuck the AARP, if they considered what was actually good for their members safety, then they would be on board with measures such as these.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverl...rlydrivers.htm

Yeehaw.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

You cannot deny the elderly of their self reliance then expect them to make due without your help.
    In my opinion it would be more immoral than Euthanizing them.

Especially if we just declared everyone of a certain age to be unfit to drive, because lets face it some elderly people are perfectly capable of driving just like their younger peers.

Deleted
    The worrying thing is 80 year old women days from death can get insurance quotes for sports cars for like £400 fully comp.

Where as I, a 22 year old male get £12,000 (yes, £12,000) third party only quotes for a 1.0 litre hatchback with a 0-60 speed of 'eventually'.

My very first car was written off by an elderly woman who pulled out on me at a give way point, could have killed me if I was travelling just 10mph faster. I've found elderly drivers are completely oblivious to their surroundings when driving, there could be mayhem behind them, children dying, tankers on fire and they just carry on driving whistling away in their own little world.

The world makes no sense anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is not elderly drivers. The problem is bad drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Many of the ppl that get into these huge accidents or drive places out of confusion don't have their driving privledges anymore. Having a valid license and driving aren't the same thing. Even if we did put an age cap on driving it wouldn't fix most of the issues causing concern over elderly drivers.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    get the keys to country kitchen buffett before you start anything
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

A simple solution would be re-taking tests every 10 years or something. Specifically a reaction and vision test.

I feel this is relevent

Deleted
    Don't you people have drivers retake the tests every 5-10 years? I know my country does, and if yours does not... you really should change it. And no driving for anyone after 75. Because no matter how good they were once, some of their reactions are now worse.

And someone said raise the age to drive to 18? What? What age do the people in your country start to drive? lol, even 18 is too young, you should have 21, like you do for alcohool and stuff. But 18 should be the absolute minimum.

I always felt that no matter the age we should have to retake our drivers test every 5 years and probably lower that to yearly for those under 18 and those over the age of 60. Of course that only counts if the person in question follows that guideline, how many unlicensed drivers are there out there, too many to realize.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Don't you people have drivers retake the tests every 5-10 years? I know my country does, and if yours does not... you really should change it. And no driving for anyone after 75. Because no matter how good they were once, some of their reactions are now worse.

And someone said raise the age to drive to 18? What? What age do the people in your country start to drive? lol, even 18 is too young, you should have 21, like you do for alcohool and stuff. But 18 should be the absolute minimum.
    Speaking of your country - I was just reading this news article the other day.

Basically, beginning Jan 19, 2013, if you have to change your driver's license for whatever reason, you will have to have a medical check first. So these pictures show best how people will get out of their way to not do the right thing and cheat the system. They went there like a herd of cattle to declare that they had lost / had had their licenses stolen / other nonsense, just to have them changed before the medical check became mandatory.

At least, little did they pay attention to the fact that if you lost it, you'd get a duplicate license which will not be renewed by 10 years, as it happens with the ones that expire but instead will have the same expiration date like the one they "lost", so they will have to undergo medical tests eventually. Take that, cheaters.
    Last edited by Taianne; 2013-01-16 at 02:33 PM.