Thinking about getting a new computer... should I?

So basically I have a computer with the following specs, followed by a problem that really makes me want to get rid of it:

CPU: Intel Core i7 930 @2.8Ghz
    GPU: GTX 660Ti
    Ram: 16gb 1600Mhz DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
    PSU: Seasonic 650w
    Mobo: ??? (Some Pegatron mobo, came with the computer when I bought it before upgrades.)
    HDD: 5400 RPM 1TB

So it's not a bad computer by any means, but it has one significant problem with it. It won't turn on half the time. But after its on, it stays on.

Now I know at least half of you will mention something about a problem with my PSU but I can confirm its not the PSU because I can put my old (for sure definitely working) PSU in there and it will still have difficulty turning on.

Should I just get a new computer, or try to fix this computer and upgrade the motherboard/cpu?
    Call me House.

The Patient
    My friend had an issue like that before. His computer didnt want to turn on and sometimes on special occasion it did turn on, he started to troubleshoot the problem and at some point we got that his computer would turn on with 1-2 RAMs in but no more than that, thinking the RAM is the problem we got new RAM, but that did help either. We also got a new Mobo, and it didn't solve anything. Finally one day by accident discovered that his RAID on his drives was casing the issue of his computer not turn on, so we disabled RAID and since then everything works perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Electroso View Post
    My friend had an issue like that before. His computer didnt want to turn on and sometimes on special occasion it did turn on, he started to troubleshoot the problem and at some point we got that his computer would turn on with 1-2 RAMs in but no more than that, thinking the RAM is the problem we got new RAM, but that did help either. We also got a new Mobo, and it didn't solve anything. Finally one day by accident discovered that his RAID on his drives was casing the issue of his computer not turn on, so we disabled RAID and since then everything works perfect.
    Well my computer definitely doesn't have RAID in it lol. I'll put the old ram back in it and see if that helps. Thanks for the feedback!
    Call me House.

I would not replace that PC. try running MEMTEST on your RAM 1 stick at a time. I know everyone loves CORSAIR ram but i have had nothing but trouble with them in the past on my LGA775 platform. Would have same issues you are describing got new ram by Kingston and it works fine now. And im not saying that they make ccrappy RAM either, but i went through 3 or 4 sets of their Dominator series all had failures.

That being said i would test my RAM and if the RAM tested and passed. I would get a new MOBO. You have a good chip, good RAM spec wise, Good PSU, slow HDD( so I would probs add in a 128SSD) and get a New MoBo, never heard of Pegatron.

Have you tried booting with one stick at a time?

Edit, I lie i have heard of pegatron. I "think" they make the mobo's used by either HP or Dell iirc. I remember having to try and fix my parents PC every other month till i got fed up, took it out back, set it on fire and ordered parts for a new PC on newegg lol.
    Last edited by Jiambi; 2013-01-16 at 02:27 AM.
    My new baby
    CPU: i5-3570k @4.1 Cooler: H-100 MoBo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 RAM: 16Gig Mushkin Blackline 1600 SSD: Crucial M4 128 HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB GPU: MSI 7950 OC @ 925/1375 Case: CM Storm Trooper PSU: Seasonic X650 Gold

I don't see the point in getting a completely new computer. If you can't solve the problem you have I would just start by getting a new CPU, motherboard and a decent HDD/SDD.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

I just took out the vengeance and put in the old 9gb of ram that came with the computer when I first bought it and its starting up properly.

Still has one problem though, when I turn it off (Shutdown) it restarts. The only way I can keep it shut off is to turn the power supply off. Anyone got any suggestions to that?

Oh, and @n0cturnal, I definitely do want a new CPU/Motherboard. I want at least 7200 HDD, but yeah a flash drive would be pretty epic too.
    Call me House.

Two things you can do. This will stop it from happening but will not fix the underlying problem. Windows is crashing when its trying to shutdown and automatically restarts.

Select Start, type sysdm.cpl, and press ENTER. Click the Advanced tab, and then click the Settings button under 'Startup and Recovery' (as opposed to the other two Settings buttons on that tab). Uncheck Automatically restart.

Your system will still crash but wont restart itself.

Now to get an idea of whats gone wrong you need to look into the event viewer.

To do so in Vista or Windows 7, click Start, type event viewer and press ENTER. In the left pane, expand the Windows Logs section, the select System.

Look in the log for the error MSG and report it here or copy/paste the code into google and hit search lol. Could be anything from a faulty driver to bad HD sector, alot of things can cause this TBH. Need that error code from the logs

EDIT: Did this happen with the 16G ram as well or just the 9G RAM?
    Last edited by Jiambi; 2013-01-16 at 03:12 AM. Reason: i made an oops, thanks Ineko
    My new baby
    CPU: i5-3570k @4.1 Cooler: H-100 MoBo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 RAM: 16Gig Mushkin Blackline 1600 SSD: Crucial M4 128 HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB GPU: MSI 7950 OC @ 925/1375 Case: CM Storm Trooper PSU: Seasonic X650 Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Jiambi View Post
    type event logger
    It's actually Event Viewer! ;D

That's still a pretty good setup. Wouldn't want to buy a new computer til you've tried sorting out the issue, if possible.

Tried having it diagnosed at a computer repair shop ? They often do it for free, and you could try fixing it yourself there after.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiambi View Post
    Two things you can do. This will stop it from happening but will not fix the underlying problem. Windows is crashing when its trying to shutdown and automatically restarts.

Select Start, type sysdm.cpl, and press ENTER. Click the Advanced tab, and then click the Settings button under 'Startup and Recovery' (as opposed to the other two Settings buttons on that tab). Uncheck Automatically restart.

Your system will still crash but wont restart itself.

Now to get an idea of whats gone wrong you need to look into the event viewer.

To do so in Vista or Windows 7, click Start, type event viewer and press ENTER. In the left pane, expand the Windows Logs section, the select System.

Look in the log for the error MSG and report it here or copy/paste the code into google and hit search lol. Could be anything from a faulty driver to bad HD sector, alot of things can cause this TBH. Need that error code from the logs

EDIT: Did this happen with the 16G ram as well or just the 9G RAM?
    Happens with both the 16gb and the 9gb. Checking for the error message right now

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 10:25 PM ----------

Two errors that pertain to system shut down.

'The previous system shutdown at xx:xx:xx on x/xx/xxxx was unexpected.'
    Call me House.

now select the error line and in the box below click the detail tab and there you can find the error code.

your looking for this code here Luckily my wife unplugged the intarwebs yesterday and steam threw a fit so i had an error code to post as an example lol.
    Last edited by Jiambi; 2013-01-16 at 03:40 AM.
    My new baby

No I dont get that code, it usually shows something like DD07010002000... the number is freaking huge lol. But the computer still restarts on shutdown even with the system failure reboot box unchecked.
    Call me House.

Its probably your motherboard crapping out then. I would check to make sure all drivers are up to date and that you are not having any driver issues/conflicts in event viewer. But it looks like a faulty motherboard. Cant be 100% certain w/o testing though
    My new baby

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    I would blame the memory or the motherboard for any issues.
    Try different memory configurations; Run one stick in A1 and rotate them, run memtest and prime95 for 12+ hours per stick if you should get it running.

The computer is perfectly fine otherwise. I'd replace faulty parts rather than looking for improvements, which will be marginal at best (for gaming).