Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which spec is the most/least Warlocky according to lore?

Well i made this post as a reply to another thread and isntead thought id make a new thread as the topic could be expanded upon. Im intereste din hearing your opinions too. Basically, according to the Warlock lore, which of the 3 specs is the "Most Warlocky" to you and which is the least?

For me i do have to say Aff feels like the least Warlocky spec. People have this preconceived notion that warlocks are about sapping life and health. We are not. Read up on Warlock Lore. We are about summoning demonic energies and servants to aid us in our lust for Power. We crave power, every inch and morsel of it. We use demonic and fel energies as our servants to get more power. Aff purely uses Shadow magic, sure they can use Fel Flame but then so can every other spec so its not really special there. nothing about Aff screams warlock to me, We dont even have DEMONS anymore with GoSac...When i play Aff i feel like a glorified shadow priest.

For me, Demonology feels like the most "Warlocky" spec. We are masters of both shadow and fire, twisting fel energies to do our bidding. Ascending to another plane as we let those energies enter our bodies, ripping away our flesh and revealing what we truely are after the corruption has taken us. Summoning a veritable army of demonic servants to aid us (I had 13 demons out at last count during a 6 minute fight) and proving we are the masters of the demonic powers. We do not confine ourselves to the powers of either fire or shadow, we use both masterfully. When we stand over the heap of sickly green ash that was once our enemies, they shall realise who the real monster is here.

Deleted
    All 3 feel pretty Warlocky to me.

All 3 feel equally Warlocky to me.
    Be feared, or be fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Felfire1 View Post
    Well i made this post as a reply to another thread and isntead thought id make a new thread as the topic could be expanded upon. Im intereste din hearing your opinions too. Basically, according to the Warlock lore, which of the 3 specs is the "Most Warlocky" to you and which is the least?

For me i do have to say Aff feels like the least Warlocky spec. People have this preconceived notion that warlocks are about sapping life and health. We are not. Read up on Warlock Lore. We are about summoning demonic energies and servants to aid us in our lust for Power. We crave power, every inch and morsel of it. We use demonic and fel energies as our servants to get more power. Aff purely uses Shadow magic, sure they can use Fel Flame but then so can every other spec so its not really special there. nothing about Aff screams warlock to me, We dont even have DEMONS anymore with GoSac...When i play Aff i feel like a glorified shadow priest.

For me, Demonology feels like the most "Warlocky" spec. We are masters of both shadow and fire, twisting fel energies to do our bidding. Ascending to another plane as we let those energies enter our bodies, ripping away our flesh and revealing what we truely are after the corruption has taken us. Summoning a veritable army of demonic servants to aid us (I had 13 demons out at last count during a 6 minute fight) and proving we are the masters of the demonic powers. We do not confine ourselves to the powers of either fire or shadow, we use both masterfully. When we stand over the heap of sickly green ash that was once our enemies, they shall realise who the real monster is here.
    Affliction isn't tied to GoSac. Plus, for GoSac WE ARE USING DEMONS. We're killing them for power. That's pretty warlock feeling. We also have the ability to use demons with affliction. It's a balance issue right now. And GoSac is getting nerfed. And will probably be nerfed until it's in line with other talents. And I use pets on Will, and Wind Lord.

Also, "Warlocks are former arcanists, or in the case of the orcs, former shamans, who, in pursuit of ever-greater sources of power, have cast off their studies of the arcane or nature magics to delve deeper into the darker, fel-based magic of shadow."

Affliction is probably one of the more "warlocky" specs. Warlock Shadow magic is fel based. AND we're draining souls. That's pretty dark and "warlocky". Okay, so you're talking about "we're masters of shadow and fire". I get that your championing for the spec you play and don't like it when people say that affliction is the predominant lock spec. There's a reason why people have always identified with it. It's a great representation of our class. And spriests are wannabe locks. Not the other way around. And nothing about destro screams warlock to me. Is that now a "glorified fire mage"? Especially now in MoP.

All specs use demons. Affliction is sacrificing that demon for more power. Disregarding affliction using GoSac isn't the right way to think about it. But like I said, it will be brought in line. Also, we aren't "Ascending to another plane". Or "Ripping apart our flesh exposing who we are after the corruption has taken us". That just sounds like cheese. We already are exposed. Everyone knows about locks, and they aren't fully trusted. That's why in lore, your exposed lock isn't supposed to have a demon out in Stormwind.
    Last edited by Last Starfighter; 2013-01-16 at 07:14 AM.

Deleted
    And spriests are wannabe locks.
    Shadowpriests have actually nothing to do with warlocks. They deal with emotions and striking the mind of victims, not the flesh. They are students of light, who in their pursuit of finding best ways of helping their allies decided to deal with the enemy first. They started studying the very absence of light, which is shadow. And then they fell. They use words of shadow to command their victims to feel pain, to go insane or, in the weakened state, even die.

Although gameplaywise spriests have always felt like younger cousins of affliction warlocks, lore wise they have nothing to do with them.

All warlock specs feel equally warlocky. All of them seek new ways of finding power. And power they crave. There is raw power in their enemies, so they corrupt them, make them suffer, squize them like an orange and fnally drain their souls. There is raw power in the element of fire, so destruction abuse it as much as they can. They basically burn their enemies alive, throw massive bolts of chaos energy at them. Its a destruction on a massive scale. And finally demonology warlocks. Power of demons, the most craved, the most dangerous to master. Those are the arcanists and shamans that fell the most and came back changed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yalin View Post
    Although gameplaywise spriests have always felt like younger cousins of affliction warlocks, lore wise they have nothing to do with them.
    I'd honestly say that after MOP it feels like afflictions the one imitating shadow at this point, feels far too similar with channeled filler.

In terms of lore, all warlock specs feel pretty damn warlocky. Destruction used to feel a bit like a poor mans mage, but they've came into their own over the years.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    And nothing about destro screams warlock to me. Is that now a "glorified fire mage"? Especially now in MoP.
    Good post except for this one part.

Warlocks are fallen mages/shamans. Mages use fire. Destro locks use curses, demons, shadow and fire. Havoc, shadowburn and chaos bolt are shadow based magic and differentiate destro locks from puny mages. Our juiced up mana regen comes draining energy from the Twisting Nether via Chaotic Energy

Will your opinion change once Destro locks are flinging green fire instead?
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

10+ Year Old Account
    warlocks have multiple origins.

On Draenor, Orc warlocks were originally Shamans who, at the prompting of the Burning Legion, turned to Demon Summoning and Necromancy. Demonology seems the most Orcish of the specs, with a little affliction thrown in for good measure.

On Azeroth, Human/Worgen, High/Blood Elf, and Gnome warlocks were Mages that sought greater power by harnessing fel energy. Destruction warlocks seem to follow from historical precedents like Medhiv and Kael'thas, who were originally mages.

The Dwarf warlocks were originally Dark Iron Dwarves who followed Moira Bronzebeard back into the Alliance. they seem to have dabbled in all aspects of warlockery but Destruction and Affliction in particular seem strong.

Trolls have always been pretty buddy-buddy with evil Loa, shadow priests and dark witchdoctors are pretty normal in troll society, and Affliction in particular bears a strong affinity to the discipline of shadow priests.

Goblins are most concerned with explosions and wheeling-and-dealing. Destruction fits the first, and Demonology fits the second.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2013-01-16 at 03:44 PM.

On that note I suppose undead would be all about affliction. Corruption and wasting away of the flesh?

Cool post Grub.

My View on spec per race, my guess Iam not lore savvy

Gnome: Destruction (blowing shit up, not thinking of the consequences)
    Human: Demonology (All vanilla lock pet quest involved Human NPCs, but I guess they could fit anything)
    Dwarf: Destruction (I guess dunno really)
    Worgen: Affliction (they are shadowy)

Belf: Destruction(Mage legacy)
    Orc: Demonology(Guldan etc)
    Undead: Affliction(dead ppl deal corruption)
    Troll: Affliction(leeching and poison)
    Goblin(same as gnome blowing stuff up)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    In terms of lore, all warlock specs feel pretty damn warlocky. Destruction used to feel a bit like a poor mans mage, but they've came into their own over the years.
    No, no, no. Destruction has always been unique and never felt like a Fire mage. You just didn't really put enough interest into the spec to realize that, although you were the one saying in the Fel Flame thread that Flame and Shadow is part of the warlock arsenal. If anything, warlocks resemble mages now more than ever.

But anyways, i guess Demonology feels the most warlock-y since it includes more or less every aspect of the spec. Second comes Destruction and finally Affliction, which used to be very distinct previously, but doesn't even feel like a warlock spec nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Gnome: Destruction (blowing shit up, not thinking of the consequences)
    Human: Demonology (All vanilla lock pet quest involved Human NPCs, but I guess they could fit anything)
    Dwarf: Destruction (I guess dunno really)
    Worgen: Affliction (they are shadowy)

Belf: Destruction(Mage legacy)
    Orc: Demonology(Guldan etc)
    Undead: Affliction(dead ppl deal corruption)
    Troll: Affliction(leeching and poison)
    Goblin(same as gnome blowing stuff up)
    If you read the Legacy of the Masters book, the Human and Forsaken were Demonology (Black Temple), the Worgen and Orc were Destruction (Sulfuron Keep), and the Gnome and Blood Elf were Affliction (Twilight Citadel). One interpretation, anyway, obviously you'd think being "masters" they all knew a good deal about all specs.

A good fix would be making Affliction not purely about shadow DoTs and more about Fel Corruption in general. A plague spreader

Destruction because Chaos Bolt deal fire damage not chaos ;/
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Deleted
    they all feely pretty warlocky to me

It's very hard to say yeah this one is totally more warlockish because reasons, since all three specs deal with different aspects of fel magic and demons

soul harvesting necrolytes, fel fire flinging maniacs and demon summoning .. summoners all feel equally evil and warlockish

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Destruction because Chaos Bolt deal fire damage not chaos ;/
    in Legion it actually deals chaos dmg

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Not any more. Now it uses a neutered form of psuedo-chaos damage

Also, 3 year old thread..

This is like asking what kind of apple is least like an apple.

Tautologically, every warlock specialization is as much a warlock specialization as any other. Arguing that any one doesn't fit with the lore is silly, because they literally define the class lore. 'Course that won't stop the opinionated sophistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    they all feely pretty warlocky to me

It's very hard to say yeah this one is totally more warlockish because reasons, since all three specs deal with different aspects of fel magic and demons

soul harvesting necrolytes, fel fire flinging maniacs and demon summoning .. summoners all feel equally evil and warlockish

- - - Updated - - -

I think what I look at is Warlock lore and warlock encounters in the game and see which specs seem better represented.

Affliction seems to be the least

Affliction seems to be the most warlocky and destruction the least

7+ Year Old Account
    Uhm this thread is 3 years old
    Former highend raider. Now highend moron