View Poll Results: Should NASA have a higher budget?

Voters
478. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

428 89.54%
  • No

50 10.46%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    use the budget to reanimate von braun
    He would roll back to his grave once he saw what has become of NASA.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    kinda strange you would say that....

http://gizmodo.com/5942634/nasa-star...rek-warp-drive
    Ugh. This has been discussed in a couple of threads already (see here). I would love nothing more than to purge these ridiculous articles from our beloved internet, as they're written to generate page views instead of accurately communicating NASA's plans or operations.

---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 09:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    NASA pissed away millions of dollars on some lame ass attempt to reinvent the rocket. So no they do not deserve a bigger budget. Unless they promise to deliver on Space Shuttle 2.0
    NASA does what the President and Congress instruct. If you're so eager to assign failure, you should first make sure you're blaming the proper entities. That programs get cancelled amidst budget cuts and presidential or policy transitions is strictly a political failure.

NASA investigated the possibility of "Space Shuttle 2.0" repeatedly over the years, from more advanced orbiters and launch vehicles themselves to futuristic reusable single-stage-to-orbit variants. They're not only way too expensive at this point in time, but also not feasible vehicles for the goals NASA has been assigned, which is why the concepts were shelved. You can deliver larger payloads to Earth orbit (and beyond) more safely and for far less money with rockets than with exotic spaceplane concepts.

I know people tend to want something more exotic and futuristic, but what you're going to get (for now) is this:

---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 09:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    as opposed to the billions that Derpa spent making a robot that could eat plants?
    Or the $46 billion spent on canceled Department of Defense projects over the last decade. (And those are just the ones we know of.)

Absolutely, more scientific research and less welfare. This chart is appalling:

Money to spare for science? Nah, we're short on that. Money to spare for people to not work? Plenty to go around!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    It is possible. But apparently it is hard as hell. Read more here.

First we should try to get the economy right in the world. Then we can discuss if they should have more money.
    So, they can accept it but can't ask for it thus having no official "donate button" in their websites.

18,000,000,000 NASA

1,500,000,000,000 Pentagon spending

Every year.

It would take 6 months of defense spending to match the entire NASA budget since it's formation.

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    18,000,000,000 NASA

1,500,000,000,000 Pentagon spending

Every year.

It would take 6 months of defense spending to match the entire NASA budget since it's formation.
    And thats before inflation!

I think before we start throwing money at NASA so we can travel into space better, we should fix some of our problems here on Earth.
    http://www.drinkinganddriving.org/
    In honor of all the kids bringing up my avatar:
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Wow, for someone with a trollface avatar, you are pretty bad at this.

I think before we start throwing money at NASA so we can travel into space better, we should fix some of our problems here on Earth.
    Most people don't realize the amount of problems on earth we have fixed with NASA discoveries/technology. Enlighten yourself!

personally... I think all of the countries of the world should put money into NASA, or a space agency with all of the worlds powers...well, a lot more than they do. that way, the resources and money would be amazing. seriously, it's not like the US is going to be able to expand into space all by themselves, however they're the only ones that seem to be taking it seriously compared to others.

i don't know if it's too early to be looking into the future like that or not, but at some point it's going to have to happen.. better sooner than later. we can't just sit around and think about ourselves, it's the future we have to think about and the answer isn't "let them worry about it".

we fix problems here on earth every day, this is just an excuse to not do something. besides, this is for advancement... not fixing.

The organisation should be renamed to the ''earth space organisation'' or something and include other nations as opposed to ''National Aeronautics and Space Administration''. because as of today, no other country's space program can do anything significant that NASA cannot. Adding revenue from the rest of the world, even only NATO members to begin with, we could see a significant improvement in space related science.

Sooner rather than later, the US simply cannot keep a steady flow of money flowing into NASA with little or no return for much longer. NASA's 2012 budget was at about 17.8 Billion dollars. In comparison worlds 15th largest Defense budget (Turkey) is at 17.9 Billion USD. NATO estimate 2011 expenditure was at almost 1040 Billion USD, 3% of the combined GDP of the 28 member states. More than 50% of the worlds total military spending. NASAs budget is 1.7% of that, 16.9 USD per NATO citizen.
    Last edited by MMKing; 2013-01-19 at 10:03 PM.

They pave the way for most technology improvements. If it weren't for them, your precious iPad wouldn't be a thing, essentially.
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

The argument ''Spend the money fixing earth problems instead'' is an invalid one, and here is why.

Throwing money at NASA IS solving earth problems. Allot of the science behind space exploration are extremely handy down here at earth. Just read some of these articles.
    http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/cu...inventions.htm
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...nventions.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_sp...es#Food_safety
    http://www.technewsdaily.com/4160-5-...ged-lives.html

Granted, some of the projects solve very few issues on Earth, some of them are first world problems, very few 3rd world problems.

well nasa should hire more intelligent people first i say . like y send super scientific instrument wen they can only send 32 kbps to mars . i would think that they would of sent relays in space to get that speed up by now ? than we may think of giving them more money lol

Quote Originally Posted by holyevil44 View Post
    well nasa should hire more intelligent people first i say . like y send super scientific instrument wen they can only send 32 kbps to mars . i would think that they would of sent relays in space to get that speed up by now ? than we may think of giving them more money lol
    "They need to develop better technology before we can give them more money to develop better technology!"

Yea man, like, totally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
    Is physics forever relegated to reiterating integrals that can never approach the derivative limits of true reality?
    Quote Originally Posted by auBerg View Post
    You are a certified crackpot that is subservient to the manipulators of science who are dreaming to control knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    "They need to develop better technology before we can give them more money to develop better technology!"

Yea man, like, totally.
    you know how easy to make a space relay is ? all it have to do is amplify the signal from mars i guess nobody care about data transfer

you know how easy to make a space relay is ? all it have to do is amplify the signal from mars i guess nobody care about data transfer
    There's nothing better than someone that can barely string a sentence together talking about what idiots the folks at NASA are.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There's nothing better than someone that can barely string a sentence together talking about what idiots the folks at NASA are.
    o sorry i am not a murica English speaking native, btw you know that grammar bashing is against forum rules ? yea so stfu about how i wright i would like you to wright in french just so i can go grammar Nazi on you

Laniakea Supercluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth
    You know, considering the distance from Earth to Mars (Varies between 57.9 million km and over 402.3 million km depending on orbit) I should think even sending data back and forth is a considerable technological feat.

http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../2004/03/62409 (More info on how the data is transferred)
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    You know, considering the distance from Earth to Mars (Varies between 57.9 million km and over 402.3 million km depending on orbit) I should think even sending data back and forth is a considerable technological feat.

http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../2004/03/62409 (More info on how the data is transferred)
    o i know how hard its but might i had that only by putting a prob around the moon has increase data transfer from earth to mars so by looking at that putting 1 or 2 probe between us and mars would increase it further right ?

not reading all this thread, but it should have more funding. if i remember rightly every $1 spent on nasa has a $5 return, or something a long those lines.plus, science!
    Too cool for a signature