Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Titan Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    13,874

    Fox/Glee stealing songs....

    So it appears that Glee has straight up stolen a song, didn't inform the guy and they actually own the copyright to the version they stole.

    Original:



    Glee:



    I didn't really like Glee but this probably has put me over the edge.

    Interesting considering that these people wanted touch copyright laws, what the hell is this rebellion?

    THEY EVEN SAY HIS NAME IN THE SONG!! (as the original did)
    Last edited by Themius; 2013-01-20 at 04:38 AM.

  2. #2
    Over 9000! Baar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    9,218
    How can he copyright a song that is not his?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ImZTwYwCug

  3. #3
    This is a joke right?

  4. #4
    Titan Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    13,874
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    How can he copyright a song that is not his?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ImZTwYwCug
    You do realize that Glee has a copyright for this right? One they really shouldn't have lol. The lyrics may be the same; however, everything else, absolutely everything else is different and is protected.

    They even left in the "Johnny C" part, which is... completely ridiculous.
    Last edited by Themius; 2013-01-20 at 04:50 AM.

  5. #5
    Over 9000! Baar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    9,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You do realize that Glee has a copyright for this right? One they really shouldn't have lol. The lyrics may be the same; however, everything else, absolutely everything else is different and is protected.

    They even left in the "Johnny C" part, which is... completely ridiculous.
    I'm not saying what glee did is right. What I'm saying is it's not his song. The original song is by Sir Mix-a-lot

  6. #6
    Titan Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    13,874
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    I'm not saying what glee did is right. What I'm saying is it's not his song. The original song is by Sir Mix-a-lot
    The melody is he, the harmonizing, is his. He may have covered the song, but you can not go around stealing others beat productions, which is what they did here. They may have even taken the backing track.

  7. #7
    Over 9000! Baar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    9,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The melody is he, the harmonizing, is his. He may have covered the song, but you can not go around stealing others beat productions, which is what they did here. They may have even taken the backing track.

    IMO they both are wrong. He stole lyrics. They stole the song. Karma is a bitch.

  8. #8
    So, he completely hijacked what most people would identify as the song, and is upset that Glee did the same to him? He can eat a bag of shit and so can Glee.

  9. #9
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    So, he completely hijacked what most people would identify as the song, and is upset that Glee did the same to him? He can eat a bag of shit and so can Glee.
    Glee in a way is somewhat to me a memory. I had someone I really liked like Glee so the more I hear about Glee it's when I think of her. I know this has nothing to the topic but I felt like adding it.

    I personally don't care for Glee. Sure some of the girls are cute but that's it.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple https://twitter.com/Aeluron1989

  10. #10
    Pandaren Monk solvexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    IMO they both are wrong. He stole lyrics. They stole the song. Karma is a bitch.
    Music copyright is not built on "karma."
    He covered a song and used a completely different melody and harmonisation of the song.
    Only thing the same is the lyrics.

    He owns the rest other than the lyrics, fact.
    I'm betting he will pursue this as he is protected under law for his intellectual property.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    Music copyright is not built on "karma."
    He covered a song and used a completely different melody and harmonisation of the song.
    Only thing the same is the lyrics.

    He owns the rest other than the lyrics, fact.
    I'm betting he will pursue this as he is protected under law for his intellectual property.
    I'm ignorant of copyright law as it applies to music, so I'll defer to you on legality. Nonetheless, I must say that anyone who regards his work as being original is someone that I regard as disingenuous.

  12. #12
    Titan Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    13,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    So, he completely hijacked what most people would identify as the song, and is upset that Glee did the same to him? He can eat a bag of shit and so can Glee.
    I believe he actually paid for the right to cover the song. Johnny didn't steal anything lol, he went and did the cover using the correct means. Glee didn't. You saying that he can eat a bag of sheet is well ridiculous as EVERYTHING BESIDES THE LYRICS IS HIS OWN ORIGINAL CREATION. His original creation is what was stolen even down to the part where he mentioned his own name.

    Johnny does have a license, not sure which type, but it does allow him to remix the song.

  13. #13
    Moderator d3v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    East Flanders, Belgium
    Posts
    4,746
    Isn't his version of the song just a cover? It doesn't matter if you change the "harmony" of the song, the lyrics are the same so it's considered a cover, is it not?

    I'm pretty sure Glee (thus Fox) would have gotten the rights to "cover" the song from the original artist, wouldn't that also give them the right to cover any covers?

  14. #14
    Titan Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    13,874
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    IMO they both are wrong. He stole lyrics. They stole the song. Karma is a bitch.
    He paid for the license (not sure which type, i saw the name but I forgot) and did a remix. Then Fox came along and stole his music and all the work he did. Without even notifying him or mentioning him at all.

  15. #15
    You realize that Jonathan Coulter not only stole the lyrics, but also the melody. Think John Denver. Or at least he sampled very heavily from John Denver's song.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

  16. #16
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    He paid for the license (not sure which type, i saw the name but I forgot) and did a remix. Then Fox came along and stole his music and all the work he did. Without even notifying him or mentioning him at all.
    Is this the same Fox that is *Faux news*? Just to clarify.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple https://twitter.com/Aeluron1989

  17. #17
    Titan Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    13,874
    Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Isn't his version of the song just a cover? It doesn't matter if you change the "harmony" of the song, the lyrics are the same so it's considered a cover, is it not?

    I'm pretty sure Glee (thus Fox) would have gotten the rights to "cover" the song from the original artist, wouldn't that also give them the right to cover any covers?
    It is one thing to take lyrics and another to take the beat. They are separate things. He has a license for the song as I have mentioned a few times time, everything else is his own creation. His own creation was stolen by fox with no attempt by them to go by it correctly.

  18. #18
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm ignorant of copyright law as it applies to music, so I'll defer to you on legality. Nonetheless, I must say that anyone who regards his work as being original is someone that I regard as disingenuous.
    People sue (and win) for similar guitar riffs. It's that bad.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  19. #19
    Titan Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    13,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Is this the same Fox that is *Faux news*? Just to clarify.
    No. Because Johnny produce a completely new beat Fox would have had to have gotten a license/the rights from Johnny to use that beat.

  20. #20
    Scarab Lord Maxilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    4,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You do realize that Glee has a copyright for this right? One they really shouldn't have lol. The lyrics may be the same; however, everything else, absolutely everything else is different and is protected.

    They even left in the "Johnny C" part, which is... completely ridiculous.
    Actuall is not ridiculous, if you make a remake of another song you can get the copyright of that remake, but in the end you have to give credit to the original owner of that song, so Glee isn't doing anything bad

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •