Poll: Should NASA have a higher budget?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    But without bread and circuses, how will we keep the proles entertained?
    I see this as a non-issue. They can entertain themselves by educating themselves. Current forms of entertainment have very little education value. Not for things that should matter anyway. Most main stream media is really nothing more than a gossip-fest. Even sports has lost its "manliness" when watching ESPN is really no better than watching TMZ or ET. People that enjoy sports really don't need to know about what sports figures do off the field/court. If an entertainer of any kind breaks the law, the world doesn't need to, nor has the right to, know all about it. I mean, really, who gives a fuck if Lindsey Lohan is going to jail. Why is it necessary to know that Jovan Belcher was at two times the legal alcohol limit when he shot his wife (girlfriend? I can't remember) nine times and then himself.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    I see this as a non-issue. They can entertain themselves by educating themselves. Current forms of entertainment have very little education value. Not for things that should matter anyway. Most main stream media is really nothing more than a gossip-fest. Even sports has lost its "manliness" when watching ESPN is really no better than watching TMZ or ET. People that enjoy sports really don't need to know about what sports figures do off the field/court. If an entertainer of any kind breaks the law, the world doesn't need to, nor has the right to, know all about it. I mean, really, who gives a fuck if Lindsey Lohan is going to jail. Why is it necessary to know that Jovan Belcher was at two times the legal alcohol limit when he shot his wife (girlfriend? I can't remember) nine times and then himself.
    Clearly you missed the tongue in cheek aspect of my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, as long as we take their additional funding out of the over inflated military spending budget.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Do you even understand how stupid this sounds? =/
    It's like those folks who say that "X should be mandatory for everyone to watch" and so on. They don't think it through.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragelicious View Post
    When america has paid their debt. Which currently is $16,066,241,407,385.80. Then we can talk about adding more funds to NASA. Untill the numbers on the state finance are green instead of red. All saving cuts should go towards paying off dept.

You really dont flip things around for the better, by spending money you don't have.
    So why are we worried about what we spend on NASA?

How come NO ONE talks about cutting defense spending? No one! Do we really need more fucking B-2 Spirits? F-22 raptors? More wars over seas?

But everyone talks about cutting NASA, social services, and everything else except fucking defense spending.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes NASA should have more funding. I'd much rather more money was spent on NASA than useless crap like 'how long a shrimp can run on a Treadmill before it dies' or 'How many times the average human sneezes during a sneeze episode'. http://www.investopedia.com/financia...#axzz2I8UJkyY2
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Clearly you missed the tongue in cheek aspect of my post.
    No, i didn't miss it, it just just got lost in my reply to the post I quoted. But to answer your question, yes, I think we should put more money into NASA. How much, I couldn't tell you. I do, however, enjoy that private industries are taking up the mantle. I don't believe that the progress of humanity should solely be left to our governments. They have proven their ineptitude over the course of our recent history.

The world as a whole should contribute to the exploration of space. Untill we all get along is there any hope of exploring other planets outside of our solar system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    I don't believe that the progress of humanity should solely be left to our governments. They have proven their ineptitude over the course of our recent history.
    NASA however, has been an exception.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    You're right, NASA has done well with what little they have, but they could do so much more without the the government telling what they can and can't do.

I'm off to work. You guys enjoy the debate.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...lonists-wanted

A thread from a day or two ago about a private space plan going into motion. It could be complete crap or for real I don't now. All the adds and nonsense on the page with the video doesn't build confidence but you never know.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Yes, but I wouldn't take it too far. If we could go back to NASAs budged in the 70's I would be happy.

The whole system we have been programed to think is right needs to change, we are at a point in our evolution as a species where the sky is actually the limit, we have the knowledge, the technologies, the research capabilities and the planet gives us every resource we need to travel in space, the biggest (pardon my french) cockblock is the stupid man made obstacle called money. If we just used what the earth and our evolution has given us we could be visiting other planets in our solar system as we speak.

The amount of innovation you get from solving problems related to going into space is enormous. We should be pouring money into getting off the Earth so we can stop screwing it up so badly.
    RETH

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    There's lots of valid criticism that NASA actually sucks at space missions due to their arrogance and "nothing can go wrong" attitude. Which is why many accidents that didn't need to happen did happen. Their scientific research however doesn't suffer from this.

Never cut from education or health care. Always cut from the military.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blimey View Post
    I think the science budget in general needs to be taken alot more seriously.
    Oh, definitely yes. It still intrigues me that pretty much people don't take science seriously, as you can conclude already from the little tax payments supporting it. But, there's still hope ofcourse. Still hoping that within a few years people see that only science can take us to 'the next level'. (Although I'm not a scientist myself, I just can't seem to wrap my head around what we call science. My respect to science is even bigger because of this!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, definitely. It's things like that, that make me wish I lived in America just so I might be able to vote to give them a bigger budget. If they even decide that with a vote, I've no idea.

Most definitely.It's a bit silly when more money goes to air condition tents than fund (human)space exploration.

There should be a huge budget cut in the military, and in the CIA and other such organizations. The truth is that these 'secret' agencies have done far more to make the world hate us (by overthrowing and interfering with their legitimate governments) than they have to help us stay 'safe' as a nation. Our military has become this oppressive entity to the rest of the world that's out of the control of the people. Politicians certainly won't be in favor of making those cuts though, because it's what gives them global reach to interfere in the lives of everyone.

Getting out of debt is a total pipe dream for the US. It will never happen, ever - unless there is a complete overhaul of the political system. We aren't in debt by accident, we aren't staying in debt by accident. If there was a real political figure to vote for that would - A) Eliminate the national debt B) Get us and keep us out of war - you could bet that they would get elected by overwhelming majority. Well, guess what, that figure doesn't exist. It isn't a choice we will ever be able to make within the system, because we aren't in control.