Poll: Should NASA have a higher budget?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Absolutely. Far more productive and beneficial than almost any other agency to spend $1 billion on.

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 01:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ragelicious View Post
    When america has paid their debt. Which currently is $16,066,241,407,385.80. Then we can talk about adding more funds to NASA. Untill the numbers on the state finance are green instead of red. All saving cuts should go towards paying off dept.
    Slash the military budget by half then. NASA's budget is completely insignificant.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes!

Cut defence spending. Same with other countries - we should increase the budget on science and have more efficient spending on defence.

Deleted
    Yes, absolutely. One of the few, huge, glaring downsides of capitalism and democracy is that no one cares about it if it's not profitable with the exception of military. Of course I wouldn't condone spending billions of taxpayers money on probing some comet to find out if it came from this era or that era unless it has practical value and leads to progress and advancements.

The problem with space is that it needs huge investments and the profits are.. well, doubtful. Sure, there are some, even huge returns if it works but it's just too risky and expensive, much safer to just build a new version of some car with a slightly different look and maybe some minor improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by anabolicz View Post
    Every country in the world shud be obligated to give NASA 50billions a year for increased research
    That would be ridiculous. Maybe id rather give money from my taxes to russian space agency.
    Gtfo with giving money to some other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by anabolicz View Post
    Every country in the world shud be obligated to give NASA 50billions a year for increased research
    The European Space Agency would not agree with that.
    http://www.esa.int/ESA
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

could always cut defense spending..and no I'm not a commie terrorist

Yes, and I'm a libertarian.

The government should do research and venture into space. Private entities should as well

You sci-fi nerds are amusing. Do you actually think all we have for space travel is the same stuff from the 1980s? Find it hard to believe. Your defense spending is going towards this stuff, but its confidential because it can be used as a weapon. Its a joke to think we need to waste money on a failed program.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    You sci-fi nerds are amusing. Do you actually think all we have for space travel is the same stuff from the 1980s? Find it hard to believe. Your defense spending is going towards this stuff, but its confidential because it can be used as a weapon. Its a joke to think we need to waste money on a failed program.
    On the same token, it would be very limited to think that all NASA will work on how we find space travel. I would see many breakthroughs in engineering/science problems relating to mining asteroids to give one example.

Deleted
    Yes, space is cool!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the best solution is to stage a military invasion of Mars. Also, I'm pretty sure there are WMDs on Europa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if you can allocate the funds from other programs. If you can, then I'm all for it.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Nope. Less money should go to tinkering, at the moment. More money to actual research. But most importantly: Let's invest more in the things we need: Sustainable energy and food.

As much as I would like to say yes to do this, I don't think I'd want to. The economy is screwed.

There is no solution to fix it. The debt has passed the U.S. GDP, and every household, including the high proportion that do not work in the U.S., needs to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes for the debt to be paid. Taxing the rich even more (they pay 50% income tax now) is clearly not enough even to cover the interest on the debt. Even less to repay. Because for them to be able to even pay off the debt, they need to completely put down the military, public health care, retirement money, all contributions and all other government activities, and then increase the taxes to 100% for at least one year. And what effect would that have on the economy?
    Obama pushes the problem on and on in desperation, as I understand it can be considered in order to buy time. Or to do something for lack of alternatives. But the terrible thing about it is that it will hit worse when it comes. U.S. needs to end its spending addiction, and soon, because soon their GDP won't even be sufficient to cover the annual interest rate any further. And what should they do then?

TL;DR: No, not now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    Most definitely.It's a bit silly when more money goes to air condition tents than fund (human)space exploration.
    Have you ever been in a hot location in a non-air conditioned tent? God it's awful. I'm glad somebody thought to start air conditioning tents.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Your defense spending is going towards this stuff, but its confidential because it can be used as a weapon.
    More scientific progress has occurred from non-military research than military research. Military tech is already limited w.r.t. what can actually be used by the real world, and when it can it's released late. As for being a "failed program"

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/cu...ventions10.htm
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...niversary.html
    http://io9.com/5934257/what-the-fck-...than-you-think
    http://wtfnasa.com/#

There's literally hundreds, if not thousands of absolutely useful and important pieces of technology that have been created as a result of NASA. Here's the real kicker with regards to spending:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_...f_NASA_funding

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Yes, space is cool!
    Yes, let's dictate our budget based on what's "cool".
    Men!

I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozziee View Post
    As much as I would like to say yes to do this, I don't think I'd want to. The economy is screwed.

There is no solution to fix it. The debt has passed the U.S. GDP, and every household, including the high proportion that do not work in the U.S., needs to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes for the debt to be paid. Taxing the rich even more (they pay 50% income tax now) is clearly not enough even to cover the interest on the debt. Even less to repay. Because for them to be able to even pay off the debt, they need to completely put down the military, public health care, retirement money, all contributions and all other government activities, and then increase the taxes to 100% for at least one year. And what effect would that have on the economy?
    Obama pushes the problem on and on in desperation, as I understand it can be considered in order to buy time. Or to do something for lack of alternatives. But the terrible thing about it is that it will hit worse when it comes. U.S. needs to end its spending addiction, and soon, because soon their GDP won't even be sufficient to cover the annual interest rate any further. And what should they do then?

TL;DR: No, not now.
    How do you figure? The maximum income tax rate is only 35% and most of the wealthy don't have much income that falls under that. The vast majority of income for the rich is taxed as capitol gains from investment and that is only 16.6%. In other words, the 400 richest people in the US pay 16.6% tax, effectively.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    Yes, let's dictate our budget based on what's "cool".
    Tends to work for the F-35 and outdated Abrams Tanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Tends to work for the F-35 and outdated Abrams Tanks.
    And look where we are now.

I'm all for defense cuts.
    Men!