Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

The Burning Crusade

6 years ago today the Burning Crusade was released.

Thanks to MMOTotal for finding a video of the login, but I was able to find an even better one that provided 720p.

Amazing fan made movie for TBC, thanks Vankrys for the find.

Blizzard has a expansion site up as well, but is not the original website back in '07 which can be found at http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/burningcrusade/

Archive of the old WoW site back in February 2007 - http://web.archive.org/web/200702262....com/index.xml (Thanks connectz)

Facts of TBC

The Burning Crusade released on January 16, 2007, selling nearly 2.4 million copies on release day alone.

TBC introdued the first 2 new playable races to players.
    • The Blood Elves, for the Horde
    • The Draenei for the Alliance

• Flying mounts were introduced.
    • Arenas were introduced.
    Last edited by Elvine; 2013-01-17 at 06:42 PM.

Lol I don't think this thread will be healthy, I can already imagine all the criticisms!

I on the other hand am gonna take this moment to just think back for a moment, afterall it was TBC which eventually lead to the mass success of WoW! (Well late TBC early Wotlk).
    \

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember it was really cold that day.

I loved it so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    You will have people wanting to lick the box art within an hour.

I do miss TBC, not for the raids, dungeons etc but for the people I played with which have moved on from the game, some returned in Wrath and still play.

I will add a little story about release day, it was snowing here a real blizzard and I live quite close to my friend so I made the walk to the store and bought two CE's, got home played it for a week together levelling up really fun time.
    Last edited by Thulvaso; 2013-01-16 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    I remember it was really cold that day.
    Damn good memory, I can't even remember if I waited for midnight release or not T_T

I salute the most successful expansion which gained the most subscriptions (over 3 million). Well, Vanilla made 8 million but it wasn't an expansion.

Most fun I've had out of all the expansions. Miss it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    You're full of shit honey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    You should have no expectations for the next expansion IMO...

So... good...

Deleted
    I remember playing whack-a-mob on Hellfire the first day(well that after 1+hour queue).

5 guys for each spawn spot (not kidding at all) waiting for the poor demon to raise the head to be insta-tagged(people AOE spamming).
    Im pretty sure they didnt worship Sargeras for this! lol.

I guess in PVP servers that day Hellfire was like the real battle for the end of the world with dozens of players every few square meters(you can laugh of AQ opening event)...and then Blizzard learnt the lesson: two starting zones(wotlk,cata) or heavy phasing(mop).

Some guys enjoyed it,sure....I was not one of them.Its not fun to stand in a place AOE spamming to kill 10 mobs in 20 minutes.

Then the weekend came,population spread,and we could enjoy the best expansion blizzard has released(and its not pink tinted googles nostalgy and novelty,im a zero day player so if its all about nostalgy I should be talking about vanilla).

My friends went to the midnight launch event in london, I stayed at home played it for an hour before my then girlfriend whined that I should come to bed. I went to bed but should have stayed up! :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    My friends went to the midnight launch event in london, I stayed at home played it for an hour before my then girlfriend whined that I should come to bed. I went to bed but should have stayed up! :P
    A friend of mine decided to go to the midnight launch, the TBC music was so loud the game shop had complaints the next day. Can't beat epic music to get some atmosphere.

Deleted
    i remember the day! its the only day i ever skipped school to play a video game. i got my mother to pick it up from town in the morning and she let me take the day off to play it

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh.. my first midnight opening event. The entire mall blasting some WoW music, with hundreds of people in queue, so goddamn epic. Had some really good times in that expansion, too bad my guild disbanded in early wotlk. Loved those guys..
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh the 720p one is a lot better, full screen and it is like i am ready to play again..

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember that night, It was very cold. My Desk was filled with goodies & I didn't go to sleep until 1 am the following day. I was up for a good 22 hours
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

The login screen of TBC is by far the best one,atleast IMO

Deleted
    TBC, I started playing only a couple of months before release and TBC has a lot of good memories: raiding, being in a nice guild and the wow experience was good. I guess I'm one of the few who really liked Karazhan!

Added the cinematic, oh so good!

I have deep nostalgia for that day, even though I had already burned out on WOW and couldn't play it anymore for about 5-6 months before TBC came out.

I remember it was snowing heavily that next morning and I got up and took a walk about 2 miles while listening to the new soundtrack on my headphones. Whenever I hear the Draenei music from that soundtrack with the ambient crystals ringing and the wood instruments and the soft choir, I am filled with memories of walking in the thick snow, the world was silent and no traffic was around, and I could only hear the snow falling on the ground in a soft sound that snow makes. I then made my bloodelf warlock and explored their golden forest. Good times indeed.

I would posit that the majority of people who will tell you they think WOW peaked in TBC started playing then.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW