Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    So I came across on some news about massive amounts of horse (as high as 29%) being used in some Tescos beef burgers, and according to that it has caused an outrage in the UK. I thought this was just some wild exaggeration but then I talked to a few islander friends of mine and they were really worked up about it, spouting crap about inedibility and health hazards.
    I believe the potential hazard is if there's a lack of monitoring. Various equine veterinary medications are not suitable for use in humans and if you're not monitoring the use of those in what animals before they get sent to the slaughterhouse, you could wind up with those in the food supply.

Deleted

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    heh, my friend said the same thing about wild boar meat. not sure what its not sold as much, probably lower supply and less demand than other meats.
    I would agree, I imagine it's extremely common in areas of America where wild boards are like rats (and by that I mean creating a mess and being a general nuisance, not the size of rats) but you just don't get wild boar in Yorkshire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    You ever been in a lidl, its like walking into deaths waiting room, everyone is depressed as hell, and the atmosphere almost turns grey...

I dare not venture into there for anything more than cheap sweets.

i think i might prefer horse burger instead of beef .

If you're not OK with eating horse, then I can see why this would be upsetting.
    I eat burgers for the taste, so if a bit of another animal thrown in there makes it taste better, then keep 'em coming.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp

As of February 2012 McDonalds, Taco Bell and Burger King no longer use pink slime. As well as Kroger, Safeway, Supervalu, Bi-Lo and Winn-Dixie.

So as long as you don't buy beef from Walmart or Target you should be good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't eat from a restaurant that lies about what ingredients their food contains.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post

Well, well, well - it seems like we've got some neeeeighsayers in the audience...
    You can't deny, the supermarkets are saddled with this now...

Quote Originally Posted by rainiothon View Post
    You can't deny, the supermarkets are saddled with this now...
    Their customers will stampede away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post
    Well, people buy beef burgers to eat beef, really. I don't expect to find a bobcat in my sock drawer, nor do I expect horse in my beef burger.
    I desperately want to make this my new signature, but don't want to be banned for offending vegetarians.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Its a cultural reason, horses were never really used for food, they were used as a workforce / entertainment, people prefer to stick to what they know, but if you really want horse meat just find a market place, they sell ostrich / kangaroo / crocodile all sorts of stuff, just have to know where to look.
    Actually, they were, since when the horses got old/lamed they were useless and not worth the money it took to care for and feed them. Horses were pretty plentiful then too.

Black Beauty being published however changed public opinion of horses, elevating them to a status to that more of pets if not greater. Since then horse meat has been very difficult to find as it was reviled.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    So I came across on some news about massive amounts of horse (as high as 29%) being used in some Tescos beef burgers, and according to that it has caused an outrage in the UK. I thought this was just some wild exaggeration but then I talked to a few islander friends of mine and they were really worked up about it, spouting crap about inedibility and health hazards.

Now granted that's some false advertisement selling them as beef, but I don't get the uproar. What's so weird about eating horse?

Metro news article about it
    While I think people are over reacting, you have to remember, we don't slaughter horses in the UK, so where is this horse meat coming from?

Trust is also a factor, it leads to the possibility of many more packages lying about ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    While I think people are over reacting, you have to remember, we don't slaughter horses in the UK, so where is this horse meat coming from?

Trust is also a factor, it leads too many more packages lying about ingredients.
    I mean honestly I'd have to reiterate this.

If they knew the horses were in there, then it's probable that said fact doesn't say anything about their health and safety practises.

But if they are like "oh crap, there's horsemeat in our beef?" then it goes to show their oversight could stand to be more thorough.

EDIT: And inb4 "Well somebody else produces the beef and maybe their practices are fine." As somebody who works in the logistical end of the food industry, I can assure you, it is typically common practice for suppliers, producers, shippers, restaurants, etc to tour each others facilities and write each other report cards about their practices. (It's called covering your own ass.((Because if there's a recall, and somebody gets sick or dies, you want to be able to throw the faulting party under the bus as quickly as possible.))

So the fact is the franchiser should be regularly visiting the slaughter houses they get meat from and observing the ENTIRE production process. So it should NOT be a surprise that there is horse meat in there. If it is, that means they haven't been touring the slaughterhouses and have NFI what goes on there, which is below the industry standard level of oversight.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2013-01-16 at 06:04 PM.

Deleted

Trust is also a factor, it leads to the possibility of many more packages lying about ingredients.

do Tesco get the meat for their burgers from the UK? or more likely Europe somewhere? if it is the UK then yeah its a bit worrying where the horse meat came from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    do Tesco get the meat for their burgers from the UK? or more likely Europe somewhere? if it is the UK then yeah its a bit worrying where the horse meat came from.
    They may be from Ireland, I've tried googling the answer but all I get is 'scandal'.

However Supermarket adverts say they use UK meat, I can't remember the last time I saw a Tesco advert though, so fuck knows.

Anyway, Horse meat is meant to be very good for you lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Galil ACE View Post
    That is fucked up, please don't eat horses.
    Why? All animals die eventually, so you'd rather just let it rot in the woods? A total of 0 horses are raised exclusively for meat/market. All these horses are raised like any other horses but when they get at a certain age or the owner cant take care of them, then they are sent to the slaughter. You'd rather have owner mistreat them?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Their customers will stampede away.
    Subsequently, Tesco's share prices are no longer stable.

I thought this too, but allegedly Britain has been exporting live horses and slaughtered horsemeat to Europe.

http://www.equinerescuefrance.org/20...-to-slaughter/

I thought that was illegal in this country actually, never mind supermarkets using horsemeat in their burgers...

Quote Originally Posted by rainiothon View Post
    Subsequently, Tesco's share prices are no longer stable.

I thought this too, but allegedly Britain has been exporting live horses and slaughtered horsemeat to Europe.

http://www.equinerescuefrance.org/20...-to-slaughter/

I thought that was illegal in this country actually, never mind supermarkets using horsemeat in their burgers...
    Let's hope they haven't, bought the farm.

Deleted
    They may be from Ireland, I've tried googling the answer but all I get is 'scandal'.

However Supermarket adverts say they use UK meat, I can't remember the last time I saw a Tesco advert though, so fuck knows.

Anyway, Horse meat is meant to be very good for you lol.
    Two food processing plants in ROI, one in the UK, in Yorkshire.

The funny thing is, the inspectors comments regarding the cross contamination of meats (same as you, struggling with a source at the mo..). It went something along the lines of

"We can understand how pork was cross contaminated into beef products, as both meats are produced in massive quantaties at all sites involved. This does not make it acceptable however, considering relgious / personal choice regarding pork consumption where you have specifically bought beef burgers and considered yourself safe to trust the ingredients. When you then take in to account that neither Ireland nor the UK eat horse meat, the fact that one sample contained 29% horse DNA is very, very worrying."

All three sites have a lot of questions to answer. The issue is not just with Tesco either, Lidl, Aldi, Iceland and ASDA have also been affected and forced to pull products from sale. Tesco seem to be getting a lot of flack regarding this because they are the "Big name brand", but for this many supermarkets involved it does seem to be the meat processing sites are doing some very underhand business and perhaps not being 100% honest with it's customers?