Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why not more spec slots?

We can now choose between two specs, but why not release more slots?
    The specs can not be changed in combat, or in arenas, so what is the reason for the current restrictions?
    I think forcing players to use only two specs is completely illogical, because one of the specs ends up being little used. This results in a player with little skill in that spec.
    I'm a warlock, currently play affliction in dungeons, raids, quests, and destruction in rbg ... I would also use demon, but removing the old skills and putting new skills on the buttons every change makes me very bored. Don't you guys?
    Why not release 3 or 4 specs?? What's the problem?
    I played RIFT, the game gave many options and there was no problem, so why not in WOW?
    Ghostcrawler is gone, time to celebrate!

Because Blizzard clings onto old ideas until they can't cling onto them any longer.
    See: Mob tagging
    See: This
    See: Many other things!

Morever, you'll have that weird vocal minority who's all "If they make anything even easier, I'll stab myself in the face!" "What's so hard about buying some things from a vendor!" and so on.

Blizzard will probably eventually do it, though, I bet. I'm calling it for 2 to 3 expansions from now. We'll see!

Deleted
    i dont see why not do it, some classes its a real pain playing with only 2 specs and restricts you quite a bit having to go respec all the time, its takes quite a bit of time to change all your spells around and keybinds. i think blizzard will do it eventually.

I don't really see the point of having more then two. If you want to go beyond that, it would be easier to remove the teacher requirement for respeccing.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Illusion of Choice.

If you have 3 specs to pick, and 3 slots for a spec, then you do not pick your spec, you just pick which one to use when.

If this is their choice. I'd rather Blizz remove spec and just give us all spec abilities baseline.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    like i said in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by xindykawai View Post
    the thing is, i think they are afraid that it trigger the Kids effect ( i caleld that myself lol) say yes on time and people wont stop asking for more, like we got dual spec, now we ask for a third one, and maybe after a 4th one ect, creates a dominos effect, but that only my pov : / i would like to have a 3rd one for sure but i think i understand why they dont wanna : /
    and its mostly the only reason why we still have class trainer.. xD they might feel alone
    Blizz doesnt seem very up to the idea too, i saw a post not so long ago about this, i need to find it, brb

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    The Illusion of Choice.

If you have 3 specs to pick, and 3 slots for a spec, then you do not pick your spec, you just pick which one to use when.

If this is their choice. I'd rather Blizz remove spec and just give us all spec abilities baseline.
    We can use only one spec at a time. What's wrong with having more? "Giving all specs abilities baseline" makes no sense within what was proposed. Did you even read correctly what I proposed?

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 06:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I don't really see the point of having more then two. If you want to go beyond that, it would be easier to remove the teacher requirement for respeccing.
    Same as above.

blizzard maintains that requiring people to choose a "primary" and "Secondary" spec makes us unique and if we could be all 3 specs then they may as well drop specs altogether.

personally i think that's a little weak, but i also think that a third spec is totally unnecessary and adds very little to the game. not that i'd be pissed if it happened, but that there is so very little reason to implement any more spec slots. the ease of switching is already so low that we don't need it.

right now a paladin can be prot main and holy sec and with a modicum of effort can drop one of those temporarily and pick up ret. getting the gear is going to be the same with 20 spec slots as it is with 2 so only changing the spec itself is an issue. dropping the difficulty of moving between specs from a 15/100 to a 5/100 doesn't strike me as a particularly good use of developer resources.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Idea:

Have the player start with one spec, then have dual spec at lvl 30 and finally get to choose among all specs. That would be applied in a similar manner to how you unlock slots for your battle pet party.

Deleted
    You *really* still ask yourself that? After the INFINITE number of threads, EXACTLY like these in the past few years?

Do your research. Blizzard explained it to the community time after time. However, since the vocal minority in this community consists of stubborn, dense, self-centered, egomaniacs who demand Blizzard caters to every of their wishes, just because mommy and daddy pay a subscription fee... *pauses for breath*... Blizzard will apparently need to explain this time after time after time.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dual spec created so that people could have a second roll (PVP, DPS spec for fights that don't need as many healers, etc) without having to pay 50g for a respec multiple times a day. It was never intended to let people access everything at all times. It's just to make things easier on people who respec a lot.
    Last edited by Brightamethyst; 2013-01-16 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biruta View Post
    Same as above.
    Nope. That answer doesn't apply to my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Biruta View Post
    I played RIFT, the game gave many options and there was no problem, so why not in WOW?
    Now I haven't played RIFT since Beta; but last I checked you still had to visit a certain NPC in order to change out souls.

In the same manner you visit your Class Trainer to switch out either of your dual specializations.

The only way RIFT provides 'more options' is by having more souls per class to pick from.

It's not like you can't switch to Demonology. It's just less convenient.

Taken to its logical absurdity this sort of argument leads to only one conclusion; specs should be done away with and all players should be able to pursue all roles. At this point the only way to distinguish role would be via gear. A Warlock seeking to heal would need to focus on +SPIRIT gear, a Shaman Tank would need to focus on +DODGE/PARRY.

Once this happens players will begin to complain that certain classes have advantages to certain roles because of their gear acces (ie. Warriors have shields and are thus 'better tanks'). So we'll have to then open up gear independent of class. Congratulations; you've just homogenized the entire game. Homogeneity of the classes is one of the biggest gripes in World of Warcraft and you've taken it to the ultimate conclusion.

Now on a more serious note; Blizzard has addressed this numerous times and it boils down to the following. Yes they COULD do it, no they WON'T do it. Why? Because they want players to make choices in the game that in at least some paltry fashion MATTER. Each player can now select 2 roles for his or her character to perform. That's two roles to collect gear for, two roles to master.

You may think "what's one more then?" well... it's a 3rd spec to master. It's a 3rd set of gear to have in your bags. It's another mathematical complication to toss into a raid when assigning roles to a raid that is forming. All of this so that players can be less lazy. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    Now I haven't played RIFT since Beta; but last I checked you still had to visit a certain NPC in order to change out souls.

In the same manner you visit your Class Trainer to switch out either of your dual specializations.

The only way RIFT provides 'more options' is by having more souls per class to pick from.

It's not like you can't switch to Demonology. It's just less convenient.
    I'm talking about having 3 specs and can switch between them as needed without having to remap the bars again and again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cause it would obviously ruin the entire game and make all of our choices completely meaningless. /blizzgroupie
    Look! Words!

Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    Taken to its logical absurdity this sort of argument leads to only one conclusion; specs should be done away with and all players should be able to pursue all roles. At this point the only way to distinguish role would be via gear. A Warlock seeking to heal would need to focus on +SPIRIT gear, a Shaman Tank would need to focus on +DODGE/PARRY.

Once this happens players will begin to complain that certain classes have advantages to certain roles because of their gear acces (ie. Warriors have shields and are thus 'better tanks'). So we'll have to then open up gear independent of class. Congratulations; you've just homogenized the entire game. Homogeneity of the classes is one of the biggest gripes in World of Warcraft and you've taken it to the ultimate conclusion.

Now on a more serious note; Blizzard has addressed this numerous times and it boils down to the following. Yes they COULD do it, no they WON'T do it. Why? Because they want players to make choices in the game that in at least some paltry fashion MATTER. Each player can now select 2 roles for his or her character to perform. That's two roles to collect gear for, two roles to master.

You may think "what's one more then?" well... it's a 3rd spec to master. It's a 3rd set of gear to have in your bags. It's another mathematical complication to toss into a raid when assigning roles to a raid that is forming. All of this so that players can be less lazy. No thanks.
    I still have to make choices, but would have three options instead of two. What is the difficulty in understanding something simple?

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 06:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Cause it would obviously ruin the entire game and make all of our choices completely meaningless. /blizzgroupie
    Jesus, did u read what I proposed? Explain to me objectively, WHICH advantage in remap the skill bar to test a third spec?

It's hard enough to balance pvp with these limited number of classes let alone allowing players to merge the specs together. I think it would be nice if they let us have 3 slots to respec though. Instead of just being able to pick the 2.

You can roll alts or hybrids. Current system is just fine. Want an iWin button? Roll a Druid

I think with the talent trees as they are now, you should have one per talent tree. However, that spec is bound to the tree. So a warrior has 1xArms, 1xFury, 1xProt.

That means the whole dual spec thing can go away, and you don't lose all your action bars when you have to pick up a third spec. The system simply remembers how your bars are set for each talent tree.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source