Page 1 of 3
LastLast

No Flying in New 5.2 Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Bashiok
    We pretty firmly believe the questing experience is just wholly better when you can't lift off and set down wherever you like, frog leaping from quest objective to quest objective. Certainly we've supported that with no flying for the leveling content of Wrath and Mists, and only after you hit level cap can you obtain the ability to fly. The new zone coming in 5.2 is not unlike the Isle of Quel'Danas in a few ways, and one of them is that there's no flying. That helps us achieve that desire for progressive questing, it's good for supporting world PvP, as well as lets us make really difficult outdoor encounters, like Oondasta - who is OG Kazzak in difficulty - that you can't just drop on top of from the sky.

I can't imagine flying mounts ever going away, they're a big part of the game at this point, but certainly they can take a break when it makes sense and we can present content in a more intimate way from time to time.
    Source: Blizzard Forums

How do you feel about this? I know that some have called this the new "Tol Barad" with dailies and world PvP.

Not happy about a raid zone being no fly especially since there is no raid summon anymore. We put up with no flying from 85-90. We earned it so let us fly. Stupid change.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't checked out the area much yet on the PTR, but so far it seems to have an annoying layout for ground only travel. A lot of mobs in the way where you could want to take a shortcut etc.

Not a big fan, hopefully it will turn out less annoying than what I think. With more players out and about etc.

Fine by me. I have a few people on the Horde side that I need to hunt down for past offences. I'll finally get the chance to do so properly.

Deleted
    Shows that they never learn from their mistakes. No-fly zones have no place on PVE servers.

Good change.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where the bad salad is kept crisp on ice.
    For such a zone, it's for the best
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    He's riding to work, he's not escaping from a star destroyer

I like it at first glance,but it might become annoying after some time,especially considering the raid of the tier is located there

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Shows that they never learn from their mistakes. No-fly zones have no place on PVE servers.
    What mistakes?

A) They're not going to make two different versions of a zone for different types of servers, and B) who cares if there's no flying? Is it really such a horrible thing that you actually have to fight your way through the zone instead of just flying straight to your destination, skipping everything? (which for the most part you can still do on a ground mount anyway.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Fine by me. Dinosaurs!
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    What mistakes?

A) They're not going to make two different versions of a zone for different types of servers, and B) who cares if there's no flying? Is it really such a horrible thing that you actually have to fight your way through the zone instead of just flying straight to your destination, skipping everything? (which for the most part you can still do on a ground mount anyway.)
    When you're trying to get to the raid for the night or do something quickly because you don't have a lot of time, yes, it most certainly is. If the area is only as big as Tol'Barad then I'm ok with it because that was small but if it's as big as Vale or the areas we have now it'll piss me the hell off to have to fight through all those mobs or try and run past them every time I need to get somewhere depending on how flight paths are laid out.

10+ Year Old Account
    yah on the surface it prolly wont be horrible. my server on the other hand.. is full of obnoxious lil griefers who will take advantage of this and find ways to overly exploit and force pvp on people. pvp would be fine, but these buttheads dont pvp they EXPLOIT. huge difference. and will become the biggest pain in the ass after the first 2-3 weeks. im really not looking forward to it. sick of the forced pvp stuff. and gawd server transfers are horribly over-priced these days. if all i had was one girl to move no probs.. but when i have 5 or more. well i cant afford it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Deleted
    I'm ok with this.

Don't forget, the much vaunted Sunwell Plataeu was located on Quel'danas, a no-flying island. Everyone still seems to love Sunwell, despite that fact.

Well, that depends on the mob-density there, nothing wrong with no-fly zones themselves, but if it means wading hip-deep in irrelevant mobs when trying to get to questmobs you do need, it becomes annoying... (Like riding to Strat back in vanilla >_< )

I am fine with it. I don´t mind flying as a means of going long distances, but I think it ruins a bit of the game to jump over mobs to get to quest objectives or the item you want right away. Mounts should have a longer cast time, or a CD.

I think its great. Forces you to think about how your getting from A-B. Makes the entire area feel like a raid not just a new zone with a raid in it. As for those concerned about not having summons I do believe summons stones and Warlocks can still help you get there.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oh no you'll have to walk a few minutes to the summoning stone to get to the raid...assuming you're not the slacker who is being summoned. I don't see how walking a few minutes instead of flying a minute is really that big of a deal.

As for the daily area...come on, it's not like you flew in the mines for Shieldwall dailies. You didn't fly to the other side of the forest to kill stuff at the horde base, you just took the teleporter and flew down a little bit to get over the water. Big deal, now you'd be riding that distance. Am I the only person who doesn't just walk the small area from quest to quest during the dailies? I'm not talking hub to hub, just individual dailies. Can't see how this is going to hurt.

I can already taste the tears of people whinging about the PVP again though as they've done all expansion. PVP servers are meant for PVP. World PVP is the purest and best form of PVP. None of this running behind a pillar or having a healer keep you up nonsense...you live or die by your skill and awareness. Or, of course, until 5 people mob you when you're aoe grinding mobs. That's PVP too. Get used to it kiddies.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

I haven't seen the zone where the new dailies are going to be held, but TB, QD and the Firelands dailies weren't that hard to navigate. As long as it is similar in size, I can't see it being a huge deal.