Page 52 of 72 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Like John Stewart said, it seems like the pro gun side is so afraid of a unlikely tyrannical government hell, they are unwilling to address the current hell like state of gun violence we live in.
    I'm more than willing to address the issues of violence, violence doesn't start with guns, nor does it end there.

It's the liberals that are all caught up in the media screaming gun violence that they have this notion that guns are what is creating the violence.

Violent people are the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr4vitas View Post
    A projectile is only deadly if it hits somebody.

A fire is only deadly if someone is in it.

Of course lighters and gas don't shoot bullets that's silly.
    a projectile is deadly weather or not it hits anything. this is getting dull so ill just go out and say that if you have a gun and use it responsibly and know the risks of that weapon, then by all means use it in the most responsible way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansem View Post
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
    Please respond to that.
    You, and I, and all the rest of the American Citizens have already given up our rights to overthrow the goverment by allowing a standing army and heavy munitions and explosives to be unavailable for civilian use.

The thought that your small arms is going to avail you against the US military is a foolish and shortsighted notion. Of course so is stocking an armory so that if/when the government does something you don't like you have enough guns to arm your 50 closest friends (who probably all have weapons themselves), but I digress.

Read up on the thoughts of every one of the founding fathers and what a standing army does.

You could also educate yourself on who was able to vote according to the Framers, or their thinking that anyone that would be sent to prison for more than a year should just be executed.

But no, keep quoting just one facet of their writings to try to prove your misguided point while not understanding that every single facet of public policy is interconnected.

Current hell like state? When? Just cause media owned by government is hyping up every single possible murder? Its by far the least likely way to die. You have a ten times better chance of being bit by a poisonous snake and dying every year, but they dont hype that up and put snakes on tv to keep you safe.
    That's because there are laws against owning poisonous snakes, and poisonous snakes do not often slither into schools and murder over 20 people in less than two minutes... let alone somebody today using a poisonous snake to murder children.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    I don't see anything about gun laws there. Again, look at the gun crime rate in the US. Most of the cities with the highest crime, also have the toughest gun laws...
    Well that's a little hard to quantify, isn't it? Gun laws come in all shapes and sizes. Generally speaking gun control is stricter in most industrialised nations than it is in the US. A good proxy would be guns per capita (the US is the highest in the world by a large margin):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_...ita_by_country

Do you have any sources for your crime/gun laws by state claims?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    a projectile is deadly weather or not it hits anything. this is getting dull so ill just go out and say that if you have a gun and use it responsibly and know the risks of that weapon, then by all means use it in the most responsible way possible.
    So then a fire is deadly whether or not someone is in it.

"this is getting dull so ill just go out and say that if you have a gun and use it responsibly and know the risks of that weapon, then by all means use it in the most responsible way possible"

Two thumbs up!

When people say dont listen to media, do you know why that is? Its owned by the same people pushing an agenda, they can program people what to think through whatever they want in the news. So lets say just for the sake of debate the government doesnt stage its own shootings to take guns. Dont you like the way that have the media hyping up every single shooting now? Now if there a suicidal person living in their moms basement, they know if they just take out a school and then kill themselves they will make the news and be a hero to other criminals! So just prepare for more shootings and more gun control whether its preplanned or not. The sit back and let it all happen if anything so they can come make more laws. Dont arm the teachers cause then there will be less school shootings. They know this and thats what they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well that's a little hard to quantify, isn't it? Gun laws come in all shapes and sizes. Generally speaking gun control is stricter in most industrialised nations than it is in the US. A good proxy would be guns per capita (the US is the highest in the world by a large margin):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_...ita_by_country

Do you have any sources for your crime/gun laws by state claims?
    Chicago, murder capital dude.

Washington DC

New York city

All incredibly high gun related crime and murder. All with the some of the strictest gun control in the US. (basically zero guns allowed whatsoever)

I'm more than willing to address the issues of violence, violence doesn't start with guns, nor does it end there.

It's the liberals that are all caught up in the media screaming gun violence that they have this notion that guns are what is creating the violence.

Violent people are the problem.
    if anyone think guns just existing creates violence then they are dumb...really dumb. the issue is the availability of guns and making violence easier to carry out. or at least MY issue with them. nearly 800 people have died in gun related violence since sandy hook. is this the fault of guns? no we need to treat the source of the violence. restricting or making the acquisition of guns is a bandaid. not the solution.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
    Please respond to that.
    Their paranoid fear of a possible dystopic future, prevents us from addressing our actual dystopic present.
    -John Stewart

We can't even begin to address 30,000 gun deaths that are actually, in reality, happening in this country every year - because a few of us must remain vigilant against the rise of imaginary Hitler.
    -John Stewart

Fast foward to 5:50 to get your full answer.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-01-17 at 04:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    [URL="http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/01/16/obama-unveils-sweeping-gun-control-plan"]Obama Unveils Sweeping Gun Control Plan

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

Why in hell was there a cease of research into gun violence?
    No. That part won't pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

So then a fire is deadly whether or not someone is in it.
    two thumbs up!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    if anyone think guns just existing creates violence then they are dumb...really dumb. the issue is the availability of guns and making violence easier to carry out. or at least MY issue with them. nearly 800 people have died in gun related violence since sandy hook. is this the fault of guns? no we need to treat the source of the violence. restricting or making the acquisition of guns is a bandaid. not the solution.
    Precisely, and hardly even a band-aid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Current hell like state? When? Just cause media owned by government is hyping up every single possible murder? Its by far the least likely way to die. You have a ten times better chance of being bit by a poisonous snake and dying every year, but they dont hype that up and put snakes on tv to keep you safe.
    Again, this goes to follow the "acceptable repercussions." These incidents are an acceptable price for our freedoms when people don't consider them to be a common enough occurrence. If anybody wants to see an example of this, I would suggest reading the short story, "Those Who Walk Away From Omelas." It is a work of fiction, but it parallels the "acceptable repercussions" ethos.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    No. That part won't pass.
    Sure it will. There's nothing wrong about government developing and helping develop emergency response plans just because they're planning around a church.

Chicago, murder capital dude.

Washington DC

New York city

All incredibly high gun related crime and murder. All with the some of the strictest gun control in the US. (basically zero guns allowed whatsoever)
    this is true. but as endus pointed out the outlying counties and districts do not have such laws. so whats keeping people from going to these places to buy guns? answer: nothing, not a damn thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Sure it will. There's nothing wrong about government developing and helping develop emergency response plans just because they're planning around a church.
    Separation of church and state. Mean anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Their paranoid fear of a possible dystopic future, prevents us from addressing our actual dystopic present.
    -John Stewart

Fast foward to 5:50 to get your full answer.
    And to counter Jon Sterwart's argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    Separation of church and state. Mean anything?
    Yeah not seeing how that's violated here. Having emergency response plans for some sort of violent event in a church doesn't violate that separation at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see what the problem is with protecting places of worship. They're possible targets that have a regular group that attends, and religion can be a fire starter for some people.