Obama Unveils Sweeping Gun Control Plan

The president moves on 23 executive orders and calls on Congress to act

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...n-control-plan
    http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news...proposals?lite
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21049942
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...-new-gun-laws/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickunga...the-president/
    Blind rage incoming!

Read the article, or one of the many other versions available, before blowing a gasket.

Gun Violence Reduction Executive Actions:
    1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
    2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
    3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
    4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
    5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
    6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
    7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
    8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
    9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
    10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make itwidely available to law enforcement.
    11. Nominate an ATF director.
    12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with propertraining for active shooter situations.
    13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
    14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control toresearch the causes and prevention of gun violence.
    15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effectiveuse of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to developinnovative technologies.
    16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patientsabout guns in their homes.
    17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibitsthem from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
    18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
    19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
    20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
    21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
    22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
    23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

It does not appear that any of the executive orders would have any impact on the guns people currently own-or would like to purchase- and that all proposals regarding limiting the availability of assault weapons or large ammunition clips will be proposed for Congressional action. As such, any potential effort to create a constitutional crisis—or the leveling of charges that the White House has overstepped its executive authority—would hold no validity.

Personally, I have read over it a bit now and I see no trampling on freedoms like the doom sayers were crying out.

Why in hell was there a cease of research into gun violence?
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-01-16 at 07:34 PM.
    I like sandwiches

Nothing like having our civil liberties tramped on.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    Nothing like having our civil liberties tramped on.
    If you actually read the article, you'd see none of the twenty-three orders does any such thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    To all those that voted for him, wtf.....
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

10+ Year Old Account
    Obama doesn't want kids to die, I am enraged by this.

Wait no I'm not that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post

None of the Executive Orders affect you in the slightest (unless you are one of the people given a new job). The actual gun legislation is in the hands of Congress, not the President.

Here's the list according to the White House (taken from CNN):

1. "Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system."

2. "Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system."

3. "Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system."

4. "Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks."

5. "Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun."

6. "Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers."

7. "Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign."

8. "Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission)."

9. "Issue a presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations."

10. "Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement."

11. "Nominate an ATF director."

12. "Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations."

13. "Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime."

14. "Issue a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence."

15. "Direct the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies."

16. "Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes."

17. "Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities."

18. "Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers."

19. "Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education."

20. "Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover."

21. "Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges."

22. "Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations."

23. "Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health."

10+ Year Old Account

...Because we all saw this coming from him right?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Obama doesn't want kids to die, I am enraged by this.

Wait no I'm not that makes sense.
    If he was really concerned about Child deaths, he should be fixing other things. Don't be so blind.
    my SWTOR referal link:

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    None of the Executive Orders affect you in the slightest (unless you are one of the people given a new job). The actual gun legislation is in the hands of Congress, not the President.
    this pretty much ended the whole Obama-hate arguements.

+1 to you, sir.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3010461094

Zellviren of Invective of Killrogg: I salute you.

This is a very good thing, you shouldnt let the NRA control your common sense. Obama made executives orders for agencies to share mental health status, because that is what make people commit shootings (That and NRA simply handing those people assault weapons...), not "violent videogames like Mortal Kombat"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

18. "Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers."
    Could somebody from the USA clarify what that one means?

Good. I hope it goes through.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ignorance is bliss I guess.
    my SWTOR referal link:

A "school resource officer" is a police officer based in a school who serves primarily as a counselor and educator and liasons with all parties involved (admins, teachers, parents). Their role is not really as an armed guard.

10+ Year Old Account
    its not that clear, but its probably like security guards.

Can anyone find the exact wording of the executive order, and not the summary list. Most of what's being publicized doesn't sound like an executive order, and more like a 'to do list'.

11. "Nominate an ATF director."
    12. "Pickup Groceries for Grandma."
    13. "Watch reruns of I love Lucy."

instead of assaulting his intelligence, can you prove him wrong with a valid counter arguement backed with proof?
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3010461094

Zellviren of Invective of Killrogg: I salute you.

Go actually read the Executive Orders. They do no infringe on any of your civil liberties as per the Bill of Rights or the Constitution, nor do they infringe on your human rights as per the UN treaty.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    its not that clear, but its probably like security guards.
    Funny, if it's supposed to be like a security guard, how in the world do you get a Security Guard from the words "School Resource Officer"? School officer? okay, but adding 'Resource' to it doesn't make sense to me.

I would agree with Armed Security Guards at schools. Why not?
    my SWTOR referal link: